Townsville Mechanic arrested after customer refused to pay

This is a general discussion forum, open to all participants

Postby brad_m » July 23rd, 2011, 8:26 pm

Trevor Wills, Owner of Marshall's Diesel Service was arrested for stealing on Thursday after a NSW couple refused to pay a $2200 bill and he withheld their Ford Transit camper van, the NSW couple offered Trevor $300 and said they would finish their holiday and return later to pay the rest of the bill.

The bill the couple were given was with in the quote they accepted prior the to the work being carried out.

He was released 3 hours later and the NSW coupled paid the bill in full on friday and were handed the keys to the camper van.

I could go into my own thoughts on this topic, but most of you would not sit through a few hundred word rant, so i'll leave it at this, I'm disgusted that people would stoop so low, I'm disgusted the police actually arrested Trevor and I'm disgusted that there are no laws in place to protect Me and the rest of my trade from low life scum such as these people.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/ar ... _news.html
If you follow this advice and 'the dyno' can't 'give you what you wanted'. Remember one thing, I don't give a shit what 'the dyno' says.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first ensure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
brad_m
Cruising

Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Re: Townsville Mechanic arrested after customer refused to p

Postby Bob Lablaw » July 23rd, 2011, 8:30 pm

thats shit the police done that, there should be a laws to protect business owners from people like that!, in NZ we can hold the vehicle untill the bill is paid but if it leaves the workshop you cant take it back or take back the turbo you just fitted later on, but have heard of people doing that...
245rwkw @ 8psi EF Fairmont- HX35 turbo, 42lb lucas injectors, 45mm wastegate, owner made exhaust manifold cooler piping, port and polish, 3" exhaust, super lows, 17x8.5 ROH z's, shift kit, XR8 bulge and extra vents, slotted rotors, J3 boost tune, wrx seats, wideband.... brake upgrade to come
Bob Lablaw
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 30 times

1996 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby AaronEF8 » July 23rd, 2011, 8:48 pm

To be fair, there's always 2 sides to a story, and this story is obviously biased towards the local mechanic.

If the 'pay in full before you leave' policy was written down and agreed upon by the customer, the mechanic wouldn't have been arrested.

There's no mention of whether the customer had to wait to get money transferred, if they had to sell something, wait to get paid, ask for a raise on their credit card limit etc. The fact that the newspaper repeatedly uses the word 'alleged/allegedly' shows the newspaper didn't even speak to the customers, they're simply going off what the mechanic said.

Bit unfair to call them scum, when they paid. I'm gonna start calling all mechanics scum because I've been dicked by 2 in the past, just to be fair :)
Commando wrote:seriously, this thread is now a complete cyber skip bin filled with all kinds of waste from the internet...
AaronEF8
Full Boost

Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 245 times

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby brad_m » July 23rd, 2011, 8:59 pm

AaronEF8 wrote:To be fair, there's always 2 sides to a story, and this story is obviously biased towards the local mechanic.

If the 'pay in full before you leave' policy was written down and agreed upon by the customer, the mechanic wouldn't have been arrested.

There's no mention of whether the customer had to wait to get money transferred, if they had to sell something, wait to get paid, ask for a raise on their credit card limit etc.

Bit unfair to call them scum, when they paid. I'm gonna start calling all mechanics scum because I've been dicked by 2 in the past, just to be fair :)

Do you honestly believe a word you just typed?

If they didn't have the money they shouldn't have agreed to have the work done. Did the mechanic agree to them paying it off before the work was done, Highly doubt that.
You can't take your groceries home from Coles with out paying in full, You can't take you TV home from a repairer with out paying in full. You can't buy petrol and leave with out paying full.
Why is it that when it comes to cars people turn into morons? and all logic goes out the window.

What they did was dishonest, bordering on obtain goods under false pretences.

OH and just be clear, I didn't call customers scum. so this comment it just stupid--
bit unfair to call them scum, when they paid. I'm gonna start calling all mechanics scum because I've been dicked by 2 in the past, just to be fair :)
If you follow this advice and 'the dyno' can't 'give you what you wanted'. Remember one thing, I don't give a shit what 'the dyno' says.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first ensure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
brad_m
Cruising

Postby AaronEF8 » July 23rd, 2011, 9:14 pm

OH and just be clear, I didn't call customers scum.

I'm disgusted that there are no laws in place to protect Me and the rest of my trade from low life scum such as these people.

k.
For the record, I was being sarcastic about the mechanic/scum thing, hence the smiley at the end. But I have been dicked by mechanics in the past, I've also found a couple of great mechanics, willing to let me pay off my bill because I was in a tight spot. I'm also sure tradies have been dicked by non-paying customers too.

I can see exactly where this is heading, but you're basing your whole arguement on one side of the poorly written story. Like how people see Today Tonight and assume all modified car owners are hoons that only live to kill innocent people.

ALLEGEDLY.
Did the mechanic agree to them paying it off before the work was done, Highly doubt that.

You making an assumption. We don't know either way.

But like I said, if he had the quote written down, with the price, the condition that all work was to be paid for in full before the vehicle left, and the customers signature, he wouldn't have been arrested.
Commando wrote:seriously, this thread is now a complete cyber skip bin filled with all kinds of waste from the internet...
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby brad_m » July 23rd, 2011, 9:25 pm

AaronEF8 wrote:
OH and just be clear, I didn't call customers scum.

I'm disgusted that there are no laws in place to protect Me and the rest of my trade from low life scum such as these people.

k.
For the record, I was being sarcastic about the mechanic/scum thing, hence the smiley at the end. But I have been dicked by mechanics in the past, I've also found a couple of great mechanics, willing to let me pay off my bill because I was in a tight spot. I'm also sure tradies have been dicked by non-paying customers too.

I can see exactly where this is heading, but you're basing your whole arguement on one side of the poorly written story. Like how people see Today Tonight and assume all modified car owners are hoons that only live to kill innocent people.

ALLEGEDLY.
Did the mechanic agree to them paying it off before the work was done, Highly doubt that.

You making an assumption. We don't know either way.

But like I said, if he had the quote written down, with the price, the condition that all work was to be paid for in full before the vehicle left, and the customers signature, he wouldn't have been arrested.

You're making an assumption that i'm basing everything on a new paper artical. ;)
brad_m
Cruising

Postby AaronEF8 » July 23rd, 2011, 9:30 pm

You're making an assumption that I'm making an assumption that you're basing everything on a newspaper article ;)

If you have more information about this story, please share.
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby DFP4LTR » July 23rd, 2011, 9:32 pm

Jerry!, Jerry!, Jerry!
Rollin wrote: I was just thinking "Lucky I colour coded my side mouldings then..." But then I remembered I have a front bar from a WRX and went and cut myself.
DFP4LTR
Cruising

Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 38 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby Commando » July 23rd, 2011, 9:42 pm

I detect Monty Python here.
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby vegabass » July 23rd, 2011, 9:47 pm

I'm cuing Hus with his "friend eating popcorn"
Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

vegabass
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 120 times

Postby brad_m » July 23rd, 2011, 10:12 pm

This is the response from the NSW couple, (made as a comment to the article on the news papers website)

Just for record we not able to leave his premises as we were wedged for the entire night by a truck to block us from leaving. We did not have Mr Wells arrested for stealing, the Police did that without us knowing, when we were informed of such we ask that be drop immediately.In the morning Mr Wells was asked by my husband Brian, if he will fix the problem his answer was " I don't know if I want too". we paid and left he in turned sarcastically told my husband to have a "NICE LIFE".It is with regret that we personally believe Mr Wells does not conduct his business in fair and correct manner and maybe the public should be wary of his workmanship seeing as that we have spent a considerable amount of money with this gentleman as the previous this altercation arose we paid him $1,189.32 all to no avail as the problem with the vehicle is still present. Kind regardsBrian & Anny Waters

It would be excellent if Mr Wells told the correct and truthful version instead of making out that two senior citizens with a small dog doing the "grey Nomad" thing as the villians and he the victim. We did not refuse to pay Mr Wells.There is more to this story and we would like to tell our side too. We and I'm sure not many have ever heard of two elderly senior citizens with a small dog in a motor home doing a runner into the sunset as told in this article, have you?kind regardsBrian & Anny Waters

So he parked them in with a truck to prevent them from taking the van and in doing so stealing the parts he had fitted to the the van.
They then claim that the police turned up with out them knowing.
There is allegedly a previous repair that didn't fix a problem.
They claim he was sarcastic and rude to them,
and there claim to being a victim is based on them being elderly and owning a small dog.

All available evidence has been provided and had been in the original post if you'd clicked the link and read the comments.
So far the only people to take your attitude to it is you and 3 other people. 2 of those ARE the NSW couple involved.

In the interest of full disclosure: Firstly I'm a mechanic and own my own workshop and secondly I know Trevor and have bought parts from him and referred people to him.

I'd also like to add that know the attitude some people have towards mechanics, and it's even more evident on DIY based car forums. We are simply business owners, we are no different to the bloke that owns the TV repair joint down the road, or the owner of your local corner store.
We have costs far beyond what most of you will ever understand and our prices are based on what it cost operate our business. Prices will vary from place to place, I've walked into workshops where the most exotic tool in the place an a $30 multi meter from Dicksmith and there are those of use that have some very expensive gear and we have it because with out it you just don't have a hope in hell of being able to diagnose problems in late model cars.

I guess one thing it will do, is force us all to make out of town customers pay up front.
I already make people pay a %50 deposit or pay for parts in total (which ever is greater) before taking on large jobs.
brad_m
Cruising

Postby AaronEF8 » July 23rd, 2011, 10:47 pm

I'd also like to add that know the attitude some people have towards mechanics, and it's even more evident on DIY based car forums.

Of course. Reputations don't just happen though, they happen for a reason. Yes, a minority can ruin it for the majority, but that happens everywhere in life. It's amazing that most of the comments are made by mechanics/former mechanics too ;)
Not sure how bagging 'us' (car forums) is going to help your cause or prove a point.

In the interest of full disclosure: Firstly I'm a mechanic and own my own workshop and secondly I know Trevor and have bought parts from him and referred people to him.

Pretty much says it all. You're not going to rubbish a mate/customer/colleague etc.

But yeah. Back to my original point, 2 sides to every story.
I knew the comments from the customers (scum, in your words) were there too, I was waiting to see how long it was until you presented them.

I guess one thing it will do, is force us all to make out of town customers pay up front.
I already make people pay a %50 deposit or pay for parts in total (which ever is greater) before taking on large jobs.

Welcome to owning a business 101.
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby brad_m » July 23rd, 2011, 11:12 pm

I knew the comments were there before I posted the thread, I also provided a link the article. Never once tried to hid the fact either.
I wasn't "bagging car forums" I was stating an observation.
It's also become Obvious that you are one of the people with 'that' attitude towards mechanics and that your comments are to be taken as such. That is with out much credibility.

Of course. Reputations don't just happen though, they happen for a reason
That they do my friend, and that applies equally to car hoons, non paying customers, bogans, Victorians, Volvo drivers, Holden drivers, P platers, soccer mums, etc. Think before you comments like that. ;)

I will also point out The after spending a little time searching I have found that at least in VIC, NSW and QLD We (mechanics) do have the right to retain your vehicle until payment is made in full. And that no actual repair has to be made, It is also applicable to inspections.

Given the end result was the couple paid in full and Trevor was only held for 3 hours, It would seem once the facts were presented to the police all involved were told what their rights were and it is clear who was in the wrong. Other wise Trevor would have far longer then 3 watch house and he would not have been paid yet.

This a further comment made by the couple.
We can't believe that some of your small minded readers would write such comments, it's very sad.Although they are free to believe what they want to believe, but I would want to read both sides of a story before commenting.Brian & Anny Waters

Starting to look as though this "nice, old, small dog owning pair" may just actually have a bit of an attitude problem aswell. If they need to resort to name calling, it's hardly mature.
brad_m
Cruising

Postby DFP4LTR » July 23rd, 2011, 11:16 pm

I'd have a bit of an "attitude problem" If I was wedged by a truck too and told to "have a nice life".. f*ckin hell. *edit* I now realise they were blocked from exiting, not "wedged" but STILL
Rollin wrote: I was just thinking "Lucky I colour coded my side mouldings then..." But then I remembered I have a front bar from a WRX and went and cut myself.
DFP4LTR
Cruising

Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 38 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby AaronEF8 » July 24th, 2011, 12:23 am

It's also become Obvious that you are one of the people with 'that' attitude towards mechanics and that your comments are to be taken as such. That is with out much credibility.

Sorry that I didn't bow down to you because you're a random mechanic on an internet forum.
But becoming a mechanic doesn't automatically mean you know more about everything to do with cars than someone who isn't a mechanic. That certainly isn't my whole opinion on mechanics at all, so don't try to make it sound like it is.

That's hardly the point I was trying to make though.

Of course. Reputations don't just happen though, they happen for a reason

That they do my friend, and that applies equally to car hoons, non paying customers, bogans, Victorians, Volvo drivers, Holden drivers, P platers, soccer mums, etc. Think before you comments like that. ;)

Proof read your posts before you make comments like that ;)
I did think about it before I posted, did you? If so, explain.

I will also point out The after spending a little time searching I have found that at least in VIC, NSW and QLD We (mechanics) do have the right to retain your vehicle until payment is made in full.

Why did he get arrested then?
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby superhuS! » July 24th, 2011, 9:48 am

EL XR6
Koni - Lovell's SSL - Camtech 845 - Headwork - 3.9 LSD - Tickford Kit - Sunroof

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
No XR Ghia and no boost make Hussy something something
superhuS!
Full Boost

Has Liked: 102 times
Been Liked: 312 times

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby brad_m » July 24th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Are going to post anything of substance? Or are you going to continue to take the easy path?
brad_m
Cruising

Postby superhuS! » July 24th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Substance? The dump I took 5 minutes ago has more substance than your posts in this thread.

Reason why I'm taking the easy path is because I don't want to argue with a person that puts up a thread in the general discussion thread, only to attack the first person that thinks differently to you.

Personally I would have liked to hear both sides of the story before getting on my high horse and calling people scum without hearing them out.
EL XR6
Koni - Lovell's SSL - Camtech 845 - Headwork - 3.9 LSD - Tickford Kit - Sunroof

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
No XR Ghia and no boost make Hussy something something
superhuS!
Full Boost

Has Liked: 102 times
Been Liked: 312 times

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby needfordspeed » July 24th, 2011, 2:53 pm : NUT347, SnyperEB Likes this post

Pretty sure he was referring to AaronEF8.

And just quietly, AaronEF8 your starting to come across as a bit of a wanker trying to start something in a majority of threads you post in, just saying.
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby Sunboost » July 24th, 2011, 3:31 pm

FYI, Pretty sure all newspapers will always use the words "allegedly" or "allege" until the matters are proven/disproved in a court of law.
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Return to General Discussion