Need some help advice on BA/F XR6T'S

This is a general discussion forum, open to all participants

Postby Chippa » March 8th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the forum and also to XR6 Turbos and don't have alot of info or knowledge of them. I've been running through the forum trying to find info, but I usually don't have alot of spare time to go hunting, so I thought, if you guys don't mind too much, to ask a few stupid questions that have probably been covered a million times, but for the life of I can't find the answers to. So here goes.

What boost does a BA and also a BF XR6 Turbo run? A friend of mine has a BA MKII and it's only running on 4psi and I wasn't sure if that was normal? His is manual and my BF is auto which will make a difference, but mine seems to go alot harder than his! He is having a few issues with his car though and I wanted to make sure that his boost was correct.

On the BA again, he's having a few running problems with it also. When he accelerates hard in 2nd or 3rd and then backs off, the car wants to stall and sometimes it cuts out completely. If he stops at the lights it hunts badly and sometimes cuts out! It's a manual too if that helps? Any ideas? This thing is pretty much stock too. Just had an exhaust mod to it and thats it.

One last question about the premium sound system that ford fitted as an option. Does the subwoofer in the parcel shelf run off an amp at all or straight off the head unit? I would like to upgrade mine at some point as mine doesn't seem to like too much bass at all and I have to have the bass turned down alot. It's not blown but just doesn't seem to cut it with the music I listen to. I also fitted an accesory socket to the headunit so I can use my iPod on it, but it seems to buzz alot through the system. Is this normal or should I be looking for some fault?

Thanks guys. If I remember the other questions I have about these great cars I'll post them up.

Chippa
Chippa
Idling

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Need some help advice on BA/F XR6T'S

Postby iCER » March 9th, 2012, 8:39 am

BA/BFs XR6Ts run 6psi boost stock. (I think the f6 runs 7-8psi?)

if your mate is running 4psi must have a boost leak somewhere.

with his issues, get him to replace coil packs and spark plugs.

there is a small amp for the premium sound. there is a small JVC 8" sub somewhere (check ebay) you can upgrade to and mount where the current sub is. I think its about 200$? Would need to replace the amp too. Not much room there so may have to go similar size but more powerful, unless you mount it somewhere else like the back of the rear seats.

GL!
Dyno-Mite Performance Tuned
+480RWKW on ~24psi 140+MPH CLUB
Current Fastest time: 10.05 @ 136mph on 275 ET streets.

Mod list: http://www.boostedfalcon.net/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_vehicle&VID=138
iCER
Full Boost

Has Liked: 58 times
Been Liked: 57 times

Postby needfordspeed » March 9th, 2012, 8:49 am

Wrong as usual, they run 6psi through the midrange and taper off to 4-4.5psi in the top end.

What's the exhaust mod that is done?
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby NUT347 » March 9th, 2012, 9:04 am

Yep, mine ran 4 psi too (BA MK2)

My mates runs 6 (BF MK2), they are all different. Don't listen to icer and don't replace the coil packs yet. Mine had 140000km on it with the standard coils, but it would be a good idea to check the plugs, or find out the last time it was done.

If your mate can get his hands on a scan tool or a xflash3 (flash tuner) scan the ecu for fault codes. If it does have a dead coil or a dodgy one it will show up. I'd be leaning towards a throttle body clean though, sounds like the idle up isn't working properly.

You shouldnt need to upgrade the amp, I'd just buy a good quality 8" sub and see how you go.
NUT347
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 911 times
Been Liked: 1254 times

Postby iCER » March 9th, 2012, 9:53 am

lol @ wrong yet you say they run 6psi.

contradiction much? He didnt ask what boost per 100 revs at.

Keep us posted!

Mod list: http://www.boostedfalcon.net/garage_vehicle.php?mode=view_vehicle&VID=138
iCER
Full Boost

Postby TUFED6 » March 9th, 2012, 10:00 am

Are they actually supposed to run different boost thru the rev range? I always assumed it was a bit of creep.

The figure I heard for BA's back in the day was 5.5psi.
TUFED6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 434 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Jake » March 9th, 2012, 10:11 am

When I used the aux in cable there was no buzzing.have you tried turning the iPod down a bit to make sure you're not overloading the head units input? Otherwise it sounds like a broken ground connection betweent the head unit and iPod or no shielding on the signal cable used, what brand is it?

I used a DNA cable.

Stock sound system isn't that great though, I installed a head unit, speakers sub and amps after a week of usin the DNA AUX cable.
Jake
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 38 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Postby needfordspeed » March 9th, 2012, 10:15 am : NUT347, ratter Likes this post

iCER wrote:lol @ wrong yet you say they run 6psi.

contradiction much? He didnt ask what boost per 100 revs at.

Keep us posted!

Lol @ you thinking he has a boost leak somewhere.

I'm sick of your crap advice, time to ban.
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby ratter » March 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm

The boost will vary according to manifold charge temps but in general they run between 4.5 to 6 psi
ratter
Idling

Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Postby laurasXR6 » March 9th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Any1 no how to remove a tension pulley off a ef ......... Please help me! :)
laurasXR6
Idling

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby EFdohc » March 9th, 2012, 2:00 pm

10mm socket. There's 2 bolts holding it on.

And also my ute ran 4.575374573 psi stock. Lol
BF mk 2 turbo ute rapid yellow with nizpro stage one plus kit *FOR SALE*
EF Coon with BF turbo motor kframe dash and all the extra trimmings the long term project.
EFdohc
Idling

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Postby laurasXR6 » March 9th, 2012, 2:03 pm

yeah i got them off there the two really long ones yeah?
laurasXR6
Idling

Postby EFdohc » March 9th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Yep. There might be 3 actually been a while since I took one off. Not been much help here am I lol.
BF mk 2 turbo ute rapid yellow with nizpro stage one plus kit *FOR SALE*
EF Coon with BF turbo motor kframe dash and all the extra trimmings the long term project.
EFdohc
Idling

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Postby laurasXR6 » March 9th, 2012, 2:12 pm

lol its alright better than nothing, ill have another look but think i got them all out is it ment to just pull straight out once the bolts are off..
laurasXR6
Idling

Postby laurasXR6 » March 9th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Done there was one more hiding behind the pulley, Thanks heaps! :grin:
laurasXR6
Idling

Postby Chippa » March 11th, 2012, 9:04 am

Thanks For the help Guys.

We've discovered that the gasket between the turbo and exhaust manifold is non existant and the lower r/h nut and stud ( that helps hold the wastegate bracket in place) has either snapped off or fallen out! So I think we are now looking at removing the turbo and checking out whats going on. Might do either a turbo upgrade or mod the standard while its out. With the boost issue, it will be a constant 4psi then rises to 5psi when pushed really hard- the opposite to what you guys have been saying. I've had turbo cars before and ususally they will peek in boost before it bleeds off pressure higher in the rev range but this car does the exact opposite.Needfordspeed, the exhaust mod is a 3" system from the cat back. Nothing to flash and it drops out 1 muffler to give it a bit more of a bark.
Once we've sorted out the turbo side of things we will be doing spark plugs and giving it a major service. I think this car needs a bit of TLC which unfortunately it hasn't had much of. Hopefully we will get this thing sorted out.

So an 8" sub is all they have in the back parcel shelf?! I was told they ran a 10" but they couldn't confirm that. Thanks for the advice. Might have to re-evaluate my thoughts and ideas on the stereo set-up now.
What are your thoughts on intercoolers? Particularly the ones on ebay? There is one that they are selling for $200 as an upgrade and it looks ok but not so sure. I wouldn't mind upgrading the cooler and flash tuning mine down the track but want to make sure the parts I use are reasonably good. Just because the parts cost the earth doesn't mean they are the best around. Same goes for the cheaper varients. Just because they are cheap, doesn't mena they junk. What are your thoughts and views?

Oh and laurasXR6- Open your own post next time instead of trying to take over mine!
Chippa
Idling

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Postby ratter » March 11th, 2012, 9:40 am

the car does not use a gasket between the turbo and manifold, the cheap coolers, although flow well, do not normally cool well, which is the job of the cooler, you get what you pay for
ratter
Idling

Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Postby Sunboost » March 11th, 2012, 7:32 pm

I had an F6 that shat one of those bolts out a while ago. Also thought it was weird that there was no gasket, only to find out they don't actually have one fitted from factory. Have heard of some people warping the flanges and then having to fit a gasket to get it to seal properly. The stud and nut is about $15 from Ford.

While you've got the cover off tighten the rest of the bolts to factory spec.
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Postby TUFED6 » March 11th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Sure about the gasket? My ute def had one. Maybe it's an early ba thing tho.
TUFED6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 434 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Ef_frmnt » March 11th, 2012, 7:41 pm

yeah as sunny said those bolts fall out pretty often.. was part of servicing at Ford to retension them. Get some carby cleaner into that throttle body and get the KAM reset and the idle up issues should disappear, might even have an old style TPS on there, was a recall at some stage and they upgraded the TPS to counter those issues
XD Falcon 427ci - long term drag (in-and-out-of-shed) car project
1992 Ford Courier LS1, big cam, big stall, big nitrous, and soon to be packing a big turbo..
PX MKii Wildtrak 20" Monster wheels with 33x10 tyres, Fox Shocks, custom stereo install, ARB Summit rear bar
Ef_frmnt
Full Boost

Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 257 times

Postby 188ite » March 11th, 2012, 8:01 pm

So how long is Icer banned for? I'm new to this forum but I cant help but find his dodgy advice on issues for the XR6T...... Is it life ban?
188ite
Cranking Over

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Postby LOW_XR » March 12th, 2012, 8:55 am

yeah the sub is an 8". i swapped mine to a pioneer 8" free to air sub.was alot better.

none of my turbos have had the gasket between the turbo and manifold.and i had a early ba aswell :scratch:

also instead of carby cleaner, call ford and order combustion cleaner. you spray it down the manifold, all over the tb and let it sit for 10 mins then start the car up.its pretty good stuff, very very strong. cost about $13 a can i think.

also if your after parts im selling a f6 intercooler, bluepower airbox and f6 airbox if your interested pm me.
CHRYSLER 300c SRT-8

6.1 LT HEMI
Procharger + intercooler
MagnaFlow stainless Exhaust
debadged
Black leather
4 pot brembos all round
20" wheels
sunroof
tint
touch screen dvd player , sat nav, ipod etc etc
chrome grip grille
+ more
LOW_XR
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 212 times

2007 HSV Maloo R8

Postby iCER » March 12th, 2012, 7:48 pm

there is no gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. I had a leak (loose bolts) few days ago which i fixed and i could see there was no gasket.

iCER
Full Boost

Postby XR_Lightning » March 12th, 2012, 8:05 pm

iCER wrote:there is no gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. I had a leak (loose bolts) few days ago which i fixed and i could see there was no gasket.

for once you are right!!! :good: :thumbsup:
ED XR6 - T5 - 1521a@112 - 3.9's - 170.2rwkw - POWERED BY METALLICA
XR_Lightning
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1076 times
Been Liked: 487 times

1993 Ford ED Falcon XR6

Postby TAXI » March 12th, 2012, 8:15 pm

dont lie icer you didn't touch a spanner.
my mates 80k ba ute killed it's turbo and it had a gasket when i pulled off the turbo.
TAXI
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Postby iCER » March 12th, 2012, 8:47 pm

i actually called up ford the other week regarding it to confirm what my tuner told me. There is no factory gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold.

iCER
Full Boost

Postby Ef_frmnt » March 12th, 2012, 9:58 pm

strangely enough some did some didnt.. I should know I spent a few years servicing them! didnt make a difference the bolts fell out fairly often if the cars were thrashed
XD Falcon 427ci - long term drag (in-and-out-of-shed) car project
1992 Ford Courier LS1, big cam, big stall, big nitrous, and soon to be packing a big turbo..
PX MKii Wildtrak 20" Monster wheels with 33x10 tyres, Fox Shocks, custom stereo install, ARB Summit rear bar
Ef_frmnt
Full Boost

Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 257 times

Return to General Discussion