Which wagon for basic turbo setup(sleeper)

This is a general discussion forum, open to all participants

Which wagon for basic turbo setup(sleeper)

Postby lunchietey » May 12th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Hi.

I need a 3rd car for hauling heavy crap and taking dogs to the beach etc and have considered a lot of vehicles from vans to wagons of all kinds.

Then I had seen a few very cheap AU and BA wagons around and know how easy these things are to turbo.

I don't care about looks or interior at all, I have two nice cars(new 4wd which I don't want sandy wet staffies in and an immaculate low km RX8) for family and pleasure so this car will just be a cheapy for fun.

Which is better (easy and reliable) for a simple turbo, shift kitted auto(big Trans cooler) car for shortish trips. Plus I live 10 mins from a drag strip if I feel like it.

Should I go an AU series wagon or BA? Again I don't care about interior or looks, I want to know which is the better platform for a turbo on stock internals. There are lots of stories on each and I've had a BA ute 10 years ago which had issues but drove well otherwise.

Thanks​ for any info!
lunchietey
Idling

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 0 time

Re: Which wagon for basic turbo setup(sleeper)

Postby lunchietey » May 14th, 2017, 11:07 am

*crickets chirping*

Seems some info I have received tells me the BA is the better base platform due to ECU etc being easier. The twin cam head also adds easy power.
lunchietey
Idling

Postby Rollin » May 14th, 2017, 7:32 pm

BA for sure. Thousands of aftermarket parts off the shelf for them and the factory ecu is programmable. If you go with AU you'll need an aftermarket computer which will involve wiring and tuning from scratch.
Plus no tuners give a **** about anything pre BA so you'd be behind the 8 ball on that alone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Rollin » May 14th, 2017, 7:33 pm

BA for sure. Thousands of aftermarket parts off the shelf for them and the factory ecu is programmable. If you go with AU you'll need an aftermarket computer which will involve wiring and tuning from scratch.
Plus no tuners give a **** about anything pre BA so you'd be behind the 8 ball on that alone.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby lunchietey » May 14th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Ah ok. Kind of figured as much.

It's often a really hard job getting a turbo conversion done legally with aftermarket ECUs so that alone is good enough reason to go BA.

Will probably use a spoolinboost kit(they have been helpful via email and also recommended a BA) as a start with XR6T map sensor, I'll do my own front mount cooler and get a local shop to make the exhaust after with a Magnaflow 3" cat and muffler.

I do like the idea of having a cast exhaust manifold and a high mount turbo.

Will be using some BF front brakes but with RDA disks front and rear and good pads, slightly better suspension (nothing stupid) and some late model rims probably 18's.

Will go for around 8psi with an ebc and upgraded injectors and probably valve springs but will see how the stockies go first.

Will also be fitting a monster trans cooler maybe with its own fan while the intercooler is being fitted and a shift kit for the fluid stirrer. Will keep stock 3.23 single pegger for the time being.

I think all up that should make a fairly easily engineered conversion?
lunchietey
Idling

Postby Rollin » May 16th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Engineering is up to the engineer so I can't help there...

Check out Ford Performance Salvage if you're chasing parts, they're in the process of sending me a 3.46 lsd for my BA wagon (is just a stocker wagon, nothing else done to it) but they might have a factory xr6t turbo setup for a reasonable price which will obviously bolt straight on.

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby lunchietey » February 6th, 2018, 8:47 am

Found this thread again by accident haha.

Yep grabbed myself a BA and all of the OEM turbo gear from an XR6T. Have already sorted the car out for all the other usual B series issues and have had the suspension, brakes, rims/tyres diff(to be LSD in a few weeks) etc done ahead of the conversion.

Have got two weeks off in the second half of March to finally do the boost adding! Only going low boost, all wastegate (turbosmart IWG) to begin with.
lunchietey
Idling

Return to General Discussion