Nizpro's initial video review of the FG XR6 Turbo

Latest News

Nizpro's initial video review of the FG XR6 Turbo

Postby Malakai » July 25th, 2008, 8:01 pm

http://www.vimeo.com/1392210

In a nutshell: Power is lower than expected but could improve once run in, throttle response is improved with bigger intake and shorter cooler piping, 300kw should be attainable with around $2000 worth of upgrades.

Not bad for a $50,000 new car and heaps of room for improvement because of the bigger injectors, better intercooling and larger exhaust as standard.

This all depends on if you're willing to take the hip pocket hit that comes with buying a new car of course. They are good and I love them to death but i'll bet nobody on here will be rushing out to buy one.
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Nizpro's initial video review of the FG XR6 Turbo

Postby galapogos01 » July 25th, 2008, 9:02 pm

great video! heaps of info, pretty good PR for ford there.

having said that, surely that dealer is getting an asskicking from ford HQ for encouraging the aftermarket??
galapogos01
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 302 times
Been Liked: 89 times

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby Malakai » July 26th, 2008, 9:50 am

I'm not sure, the video said Ford have discouraged the aftermarket mods while under warranty by making the turbo smaller. The absolute ceiling will be around 300kw with the factory turbo. Once you change that it will be obvious to Ford that it's modified.

Apparently you would only need a cat swap and custom tune to unlock 300kw because the factory gear is all up to the task. Most of that extra power would be made by changing the timing and leaning off the mixtures a touch, as he said they were "unbelievably rich" on their dyno runs.

Something that wasn't mentioned on the video but was talked about on the Nizpro forums was that the boost peaked at 8.3 psi at 4600 rpm and then fell off to 6 psi at around 5500 rpm.
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby wolf » July 26th, 2008, 3:00 pm

i would love to see a comparison with the new f6.

This new xr6t is a sign of things to come from ford i think. They seem to be investing heavily in the turbo 6 and forgetting about the v8 well to me they are anyways.

Overall i think with a few mods liek he said this car is going to destroy a lot of peoples hearts when they line up next to them in there 100k dollar cars.

proud member of the EBGT302/BLCKED fanclub
wolf
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby G3R3N » July 26th, 2008, 4:10 pm

lol @ the dude driving the forklift waving at the camera
G3R3N
Breaking Traction

Been Liked: 2 times

Postby Malakai » July 26th, 2008, 5:07 pm

As much as I love them and as good as the FG is I can't forget the fact that there are cars on here that cost a fraction of the FG's price and they will smash it up and down the street and strip all day long.
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby needfordspeed » July 26th, 2008, 10:46 pm

lol @ his hand slipping off the caliper when he was turning the wheel on the hoist, I went back and watched it again haha

Seems like it'll be fairly cost effective to get to the 300rwkw mark, after that it'll start getting fairly expensive though with need of a bigger turbo.
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby G3R3N » July 26th, 2008, 10:49 pm

IMO, it's kinda crap the way it doesnt make more power than an F6 :|
Steady will be happy with that, no doubt :D
G3R3N
Breaking Traction

Postby EFFalcon » July 27th, 2008, 9:40 am

hopefully the limit implied by the turbo will mean cheap FG turbo's in the future ;)
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby EL XR8 » July 27th, 2008, 12:07 pm

89AIT wrote:As much as I love them and as good as the FG is I can't forget the fact that there are cars on here that cost a fraction of the FG's price and they will smash it up and down the street and strip all day long.

LOL, yeah but they're still not in the same league. If you're comparing an FG to any E Series, thats just plain stupid. But if you're talking about the few BF's etc, then there's not really any price difference.
New, comfortable, reliable car, vs Old, PITA, cars = No comparison...

Does suck if Ford are putting smaller turbo's on the new 6's to limit their aftermarket modifications.
Blown EL XR8
Supercharged 2011 RXT-X 260 jetski
EL XR8
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 1 time

Postby Malakai » July 27th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I agree completely. But my statement that you quoted is still true.
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby nommic » July 28th, 2008, 12:18 am

EL XR8 wrote:Does suck if Ford are putting smaller turbo's on the new 6's to limit their aftermarket modifications.

It's probably just more to do with the new turbo being closer to their performance goals, instead of overkill and under-utilised. For the VAST majority of buyers that want a decent stock car, they won't care that the new turbo doesn't have the potential of the old one.
wet towels
nommic
Spooling Up

Postby t1MMy » July 31st, 2008, 1:16 pm

89AIT wrote:http://www.vimeo.com/1392210

They are good and I love them to death but i'll bet nobody on here will be rushing out to buy one.

Im sure BLKPHN could buy 1 for his "weekend" car. Hes swimmin in the cash.
t1MMy
Full Boost

Has Liked: 30 times
Been Liked: 45 times

1995 Ford XR6

Postby BLKPHN » August 2nd, 2008, 10:52 am

t1MMy wrote:
89AIT wrote:http://www.vimeo.com/1392210

They are good and I love them to death but i'll bet nobody on here will be rushing out to buy one.

Im sure BLKPHN could buy 1 for his "weekend" car. Hes swimmin in the cash.

I'd like to think i was swimming in cash ..... reality is i saved my arse off and also got a massive loan....
Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Postby Rollin » August 2nd, 2008, 12:11 pm

nommic wrote:It's probably just more to do with the new turbo being closer to their performance goals, instead of overkill and under-utilised. For the VAST majority of buyers that want a decent stock car, they won't care that the new turbo doesn't have the potential of the old one.

Bingo. The turbo would have been sized to provide the best response they could get for the power output they require, with maybe a tiny bit of room for a comfortable 20kw upgrade over the FG+I6 model lifespan.

I drove an N/A XR6 for a very short period of time yesterday, and was surprised (not hard really, my expectations were very low :P) at the visibilty and driving position. Center console lid position is almost e-series spec, same with the door armrest, which means it shits on BA/F in that respect. Much easier to get comfy in.

Still not as braindead easy to reverse park as an e-series but craps on VE from a massive height with regards to rear visibility - the waistline doesn't sweep upwards at the back anywhere near as much as VE.

The outer door handles are counter-ergonomic though, or whatever the opposite of ergonomic is. Stupid euro crap.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby BLUDEL » August 17th, 2008, 8:19 am

I look deep into the FG turbo and its a mean lookin machine. Theres a few people that have brought them down here, FG is gonna get ford back on top after alot of years. It was a good video go on youtube and type in
(FG TURBO) theres some sick vids about em on there.

But I think I'll wait till I think bout even buyin 1 for now my EL provides me with more then enough fun.
Freakin awsome ride EL XR8. :D
BLUDEL
Cranking Over

Been Liked: 0 time

Return to News