Clock ticking for Falcon

Latest News

Clock ticking for Falcon

Postby Malakai » March 3rd, 2009, 10:49 pm

The other day I read an article in a magazine about how Ford and other car manufacturers are ditching development of rear wheel drive cars in the US. Apparently the work Ford was doing up till recently was going to be the base for the future Falcon models here in Australia.

Now I just read this article and subsequent comments over on Autospeed's website. CLICK HERE TO READ

Clock ticking for Falcon
Posted February 26th, 2009 by Julian Edgar

Hastened by the current world financial crisis and its effects on (particularly) US car makers, there is growing discussion in this country about the demise of the Ford Falcon model.

What to many people was unthinkable even only a year or two ago is now becoming an ‘it’ll probably happen’ scenario that while not palatable, is at least open for discussion.

As was always profoundly obvious to anyone looking at the car industry with unblinkered vision, the FG Falcon was never going to be a success – and it hasn’t proved to be.

Released in February of 2008, Falcon sales in that year show none of the upward trend that would be required (and expected) from the release of a new model.

According to V-Facts, in 2006 the combined Falcon and ute sales were 58,248; in 2007 they were 47,699; and in 2008 they were 44,536. That’s a drop over that short period of nearly 24 per cent – and includes the release of the brand new model!

If anyone can point to any foreseeable factors that would halt or reverse that trend in Falcon sales, I’d love to hear them.

And if that trend isn’t to level or reverse, goodbye Falcon…

I don’t think that even better fuel economy or other achievable changes will now help: I think the decline is terminal. The retention of the old engine for a few more years makes me think that Ford also believes the end is near: why re-engineer the car for new V6 engines when the model life will be so short?

The blame can only be placed at the feet of Ford product planners, who made a host of poor decisions in a climate where far better outcomes were possible. With the FG they had one real chance to turn things around, to build a car that actually matched where the market was going – and they blew it.

Putting a turbo petrol engine in the Territory when a diesel would obviously – so bloody obviously – have sold better? Yep, again they blew it.

What a waste of engineering talent. Of jobs and of skills and of capabilities.

It is sad to think that the model line might come to an end or even worse end up front wheel drive and powered by diesel motors.
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Clock ticking for Falcon

Postby Bipolar » March 4th, 2009, 2:07 am

So 2 things need to happen: FoMoCo in Detroit need to pull their finger out and allow the Falcon to be exported anywhere; and every Ford enthusiast needs to lease a new Falcon as a daily, and renew it with every new model release. If the Government gave out grants to people buying new Australian made cars instead of focussing on "saving the planet" with "eco-friendly" cars, maybe the industry could stand up a bit better and there wouldn't be so many Aussies out of a job. Doesn't help that there's so many brand snobs out there with no idea on the value that you get buying an Aussie made car either.
RBKILA wrote:yes im sure 99% of the hate is just jealousy from morons.
the same sort of people you see at bathurst, wearing all the hrt gear and then you see them get into a camry in the car park lol
Bipolar

Has Liked: 741 times
Been Liked: 225 times

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby Commando » March 4th, 2009, 7:24 am

Julian Edgar? You read that shit Mankini? :scratch:

If anyone can point to any foreseeable factors that would halt or reverse that trend in Falcon sales, I’d love to hear them.

^^^ HELLOOOOOOO... THREE WORDS: GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS. Has he looked at how much of a pwning Toyota & other Jap brands are copping at the moment, or how the Big Three in America (GM & Chrysler in particular) look farked?

I don’t think that even better fuel economy or other achievable changes will now help: I think the decline is terminal. The retention of the old engine for a few more years makes me think that Ford also believes the end is near: why re-engineer the car for new V6 engines when the model life will be so short?

^^^ Retention of the "old engine"? Has he even looked at what the FG has under the bonnet? It's hardly "old", why isn't he canning Holden's V8s then which are "older"?

Putting a turbo petrol engine in the Territory when a diesel would obviously – so bloody obviously – have sold better? Yep, again they blew it.

^^^ Hmm, turbo petrol engine for performance and torque. People in Territories like torque for towing & sht... And having a diesel model would probably not garner any more actual Territory sales, so the cost of R&D for the diesel model would not be offset, and in fact would cut into the petrol (n/a - turbo) model's sales. EDIT - is there an E-Gas Terri? That would make far more sense than a diesel, and an E-Gas (injected, not mixer/converter) Turbo Terry would be the best all-rounder Ford ever produced IMHO.

Actually I take that back, Julian Edgar is an excellent journalist. Not in the sense of being informed and writing watertight articles, but he certainly gets the readers fired up. Kind of like those fking annoying adverts on TV, you absolutely deplore them but at the same time they're the ones that grab your attention ;)
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby Gozza » March 4th, 2009, 7:50 am

who thinks this much about cars seriously. they are just shitty tin boxes
Its a stack of f*ck shit, on top of itself niggaaaaaa
Gozza
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby Malakai » March 4th, 2009, 8:34 am

There is no value in buying a new Australian car! Until recently you payed top dollar for low-tech and bad build quality. The FG changed that somewhat, you get panels that line up and a bit better performance. Your money is better spent on something European or Japanese these days. I hate to say that but I think it's true.
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby TUFED6 » March 4th, 2009, 8:50 am

This story gets rehashed every 6 months. As Commando said, all car manufacturers are in the shit. Next.
TUFED6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 434 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby EFFalcon » March 4th, 2009, 8:56 am

first one to build a hover car will take over the world.
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby Bipolar » March 4th, 2009, 10:18 am

Malakai - This is what I don't understand. My 11 year old Falcon has only ever needed maintenance over the 5 years I've had it. It's been 100% reliable, and has enough power and features to keep me happy. Presuming newer models are better, and there's alot of proof pointing towards that they are, where's the downside? Every make and model of car has defects and duds, and Aussie cars have been at the top of the sales charts for a long time, so there are a shitload more of them around, telling me you're gonna hear more about the shit ones. And most people I've met that have an Aussie car have a "She'll be right" attitude to keeping their car maintained. So all these things I've learned through experience make me think Aussie cars are good value.

Hover car FTW.
the same sort of people you see at bathurst, wearing all the hrt gear and then you see them get into a camry in the car park lol
Bipolar

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby Malakai » March 4th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Yeah they are good value, just not when they are new. The TCO of a new Australian car is pretty bad. I know what you are saying though... The 93' NC Fairlane that I had for five years before I got the AIT was serviced properly every 5000ks and the only things that failed in that whole time was the starter motor and a heater hose despite the fact that it had a Windsor in it. :grin: I had warranty on that car and I never had to use it. Couldn't be happier with it.

In the end I think new Fords are too dear, low tech, depreciate fast, cost a lot to own and until recently the fit and finish inside and out has left a little to be desired.

I wonder if we will see another model in 2010?
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby Commando » March 4th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a new Aussie car unless I was loaded, or planned on keeping it for 30+ years. Buying a new Aussie car & selling 2-5 years on is madness.
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby Steady » March 4th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Julian Edgars ideal vehicle...

Malakai wrote:Your money is better spent on something European or Japanese these days. I hate to say that but I think it's true.

Show me the Euro and Jap 300odd kw sports saloons for 60k, with cheap replacement and aftermarket parts, and I'll buy one.

If you want a new car with excellent build quality and good resale after 2 years, buy Korean.
But hands up who here is looking at buying a 'new' car anyway?
Steady
Breaking Intake Welds

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 10 times

1993 Ford XR8 Sprint

Postby Bipolar » March 5th, 2009, 1:14 pm

An industry expert told me years ago there's only 2 ways to cost effective ways to own a car: keep the same one forever, or buy new and trade in or lease every 18 months. The latter makes more sense if you take into account (presuming you don't do a lot of k's) the lack of parts you'd have to replace (including tyres if you can behave yourself :lol: ).
Bipolar

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby holmsy » March 5th, 2009, 2:32 pm

he also says that they are keeping the current straight 6 because they dont want to spend money on the v6 for a car that wont be around much longer.

but they have to put in the money to the straight 6 anyway because of the new emissions. so it really makes no difference. either way they have to spend the cash.
Project: SLOXR8: 1994 EF XR8, mech shift kit, 3500 histall, Lokka, 36lb injectors, AU 185 motor, Cranecam 444225, crane roller rockers, crow valve springs, Pacies, 3" exhaust, hiflo cats. twin 044's, vortech v2,microtech tuned by daltons (290.3rwkw @11psi) at DALTONS
holmsy
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 182 times
Been Liked: 154 times

1994 Ford XR8

Postby Jake » March 5th, 2009, 4:50 pm

I think most people now probably realize that buying a 30,000km old car is better than buying a car from new...
Then there are people who just think BMW's are built better than aussie cars... and think they are more reliable...
Then there are people who want cars for their name, like skylines, supras, BMW's... just to either look kool or to make people think they are rich.
Then you have the people who think buying a car with a 20 liter tank is better because it only cost's them ~$20 to fill up, rather than a bigger car with a 60 liter tank that will cost ~$60 to fill.... my aunty's hyandai needed 3 tanks of fuel to get to brisbane from newcastle, our EF falcon almost did it on 1 tank, was about 40km's short... but it actually cost the same amount to drive both cars up there... 2.0l vs 4.0l... well she saved maybe $5 or $10... but a bigger car is more comfortable anyway, and over the distance she only saves about $1 or $2 for every 100km...
Jake
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 38 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Postby Bipolar » March 6th, 2009, 12:08 am

And I've heard so many stories like that from reps and anyone who has to drive long distances. Modern big cars can be frugal with a light foot, but no one can help themselves.
Bipolar

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby braiden » March 6th, 2009, 12:32 am

I will never sell my ED. I'd rather mutilate my genitalia than drive a FDW shitbox.
BF MkI XR6T

Lockie wrote:You can't speak English good because you came here on a leaking door!
braiden
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby Nikk O'lass » March 6th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Alarmist bullshit.

Ford Au's CEO has stated that the I6 might be exported, and that its production is cemented until 2016 without export, and further on with it. Thats a good news for the falcon platform.

The Falcon Platform (Sedan, Ute, Terri) is also outselling the Commodore platform locally, and is still ford au's strongest selling platform, at around 4,300 sales last month. The artical state's that sales dropped over the years, so has many other models. Fords drop percentage isn't as bad as Holdens either.

Infact, Holdens situation seems alot worse, with a est 18000 unsold commodore gathering dust in various lots world wide, GM's crumble (Saab gone, Opel about to).

It will be interseting to see if the falcon gets a 4cly aswell...

Julian Edgar sounds like one of the typical ford attackingdoomsdayer ****, and probally will write an artical next week saying that holdens cruze is the bestest eva...
.T..I..C..K..F..O..R..D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikk O'lass
Full Boost

Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 125 times

1998 Ford XR6

Postby Nikk O'lass » March 6th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Malakai wrote:There is no value in buying a new Australian car!.

Thats whats good about E-Series, cheap to buy, poor money into it, and when your missus/girlfriend etc tells you to sell it to make some quick cash, its just a $500 falcon... :scratch:

Actually thats a loose theory :doh:
.T..I..C..K..F..O..R..D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikk O'lass
Full Boost

1998 Ford XR6

Postby nstg8a » March 6th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Bipolar wrote:And I've heard so many stories like that from reps and anyone who has to drive long distances. Modern big cars can be frugal with a light foot, but no one can help themselves.

anyone read the article about the holden V8 (the one that drops off cylinders on light loads)in the motor or whatever mag it was in? got some unreal fuel consumption figure... thats where i think ford needs to be looking.
nstg8a
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 541 times
Been Liked: 208 times

1999 Ford Fairlane

Postby Nikk O'lass » March 7th, 2009, 12:28 pm

nstg8a wrote:
anyone read the article about the holden V8 (the one that drops off cylinders on light loads)in the motor or whatever mag it was in? got some unreal fuel consumption figure... thats where i think ford needs to be looking.

Holdens AFM is a joke, less power and hardly any change in fuel use, Wheels did the test and got 9L/100k buy driving at 90km/h, even in 110 zones. Ford owners are getting better results out of XR6T. Plus AFM is only avaible as auto.

AFM is ment to stand for "active fuel management" but as someone on AFF said, it sould be "absolutly fantasic marketing"

All these cylinder cutoff systems dont have a real effect, buy using half of the cylinders to do the work that 8 did at highway speeds is usless in a large car like the commodore, those 4 pots have to work harder, and are pushing the dead cylinders aswell.
.T..I..C..K..F..O..R..D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikk O'lass
Full Boost

1998 Ford XR6

Return to News