Setup your car for drifting....

Car Setups, Photos, Discussions

Re: Setup your car for drifting....

Postby [D1SCNT] » June 26th, 2012, 8:18 pm

so you screw the lock spacer in to the rack then the rack arm to the spacer resolving in toe in yer?

were you guys buy the rack spacer's from? are they straight bolt in to factory e-series racks or do you have to re drill then then thread to e-series spc.

when i can be ass'd i was going to get a set of ED lowers, put them in a jig and try to flatten them out as atm ED factory arms the end that goes to the stub axle kick's up at an angle and bolts over the stub axle. so i reckon if you can get the lower arm flat you should see a few more mill's of camber.
[D1SCNT]

Postby lawler » June 26th, 2012, 9:08 pm

We just used nissan 5mm slip on lock spacers.

Simple case of ajusting tie rod in the thickness of the spacer then pulling the boot back, undoing rackend then slip it on and lock tight the thread then doing it back up.

The nissan rackends run a larger thread so had to make sure it was centered when it was tighten.

Also jacked up knuckle hits the head of the bolt for the shock so we ground down bolt and knucle a bit and sway bar but back on the ground dont touch
lawler
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Postby [D1SCNT] » June 26th, 2012, 10:44 pm

lawler wrote:We just used nissan 5mm slip on lock spacers.

Simple case of ajusting tie rod in the thickness of the spacer then pulling the boot back, undoing rackend then slip it on and lock tight the thread then doing it back up.

The nissan rackends run a larger thread so had to make sure it was centered when it was tighten.

Also jacked up knuckle hits the head of the bolt for the shock so we ground down bolt and knucle a bit and sway bar but back on the ground dont touch

that lock spacer look anything like these one's?

Last edited by [D1SCNT] on June 26th, 2012, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[D1SCNT]

Postby lawler » June 26th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Both sides need to be slip on ones like the midle bit. Screw on ones wont fit
lawler
Spooling Up

Postby [D1SCNT] » June 26th, 2012, 10:57 pm

lawler wrote:Both sides need to be slip on ones like the midle bit. Screw on ones wont fit

yer im picking up what your putting down.

what kind of thread did you end up with once u slipped the spacer over the rack end of the tie rod arm?
[D1SCNT]

Postby lawler » June 27th, 2012, 5:33 am

There was still a safe amount but we locked tighted it to be on the safe side
lawler
Spooling Up

Postby [D1SCNT] » June 27th, 2012, 9:31 am

kool. were did you get the spacers from ebay?
[D1SCNT]

Postby lawler » June 27th, 2012, 9:41 am

They do sell them on ebay. But i normaly just order them strait from gktech web site
lawler
Spooling Up

Postby AaronEF8 » July 3rd, 2012, 1:17 pm

Can someone explain to me how rack spacers work? Do they simply make the tie-rods longer, which gives mass toe-in on a Falcon? I must be missing something.

I can understand needing them with longer/relocated LCAs, but I don't understand how they're meant to increase lock with a rear-mounted rack.
Commando wrote:seriously, this thread is now a complete cyber skip bin filled with all kinds of waste from the internet...
AaronEF8
Full Boost

Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 245 times

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby Rollin » July 3rd, 2012, 9:19 pm

They allow the rack to have a slightly longer travel - longer travel = more lock.

The downside is the pivot point for the tie rods is further apart than it used to be so it can create bump steer and stuff, but the extra lock is worth it*

*I've heard, never done it myself to compare.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Another_ef » July 4th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I had a lock spacer in my ke70 the screw in type ( screws into the steering rack then tie rod screws into that, it added about 10/15 degrees lock), which can be the difference between spinning out or holding big enough angle
donno wrote:Battery to the boot relocation......

If everything lights up you're done. If it's on fire you probably should have taken it to an auto electrician.

EL XR6 Pacemaker 4499's, 2.5" exhaust, factory manual, sunroof, Peddars coilovers, au upper arms, 30mm swaybar and koni reds with SSL rear springs
Another_ef
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 60 times

1995 Ford Piece Of Shit

Postby bentls » July 4th, 2012, 6:03 pm

i put 5.2mm slip on rack spacers on my soarer, made a big difference, but id much rather make up the lock with the knuckles cos it makes it faster too...
94 soarer
01 senator signature 5.7
96 k11 micra
bentls
Full Boost

Has Liked: 277 times
Been Liked: 158 times

Postby lawler » July 4th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Knuckles on a falcon could be interesting. We have looked at it a few times but keep getting put off trying.

Bump steer isnt to bad. I ran the same ones in my 31 with 10mm out of them and 25mm bolt on spacers and bump steer was minimal even with tie rod, steering rack and knuckles hight/angles not being ideal.

Down side of knuckles mixed with 6-7deg caster is if your steering rack seals arnt the best they wont last long.

Also i cant rember if falcon run steering rack mount bushs or bolt on like comodores. If its bushs you would want to replace them to be on the safe side. My 31 destroyed the 23 year old bush causing the rack mounts to work loss a few times
lawler
Spooling Up

Previous

Return to Drags, Drift & Track