Drift Section

Car Setups, Photos, Discussions

Drift Section

Postby SLY347 » November 4th, 2007, 9:56 am

Talk that is all drift, setups/comps/pics etc.....
Adelaide just had its first Stadium Drift here last night, was really good, especially to see a few interstate cars come down. First time wer've seen a tight, technical track, due to A.I.R and Mallala being open a sort of flowing.
Top 4 placings were
1st: Josh Young.
2nd: Rohan Merchant
3rd: Christian Pickering
4th: Joel Mackeras
Bonnet, Front Bar, Front quarter panels CHEAP!
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3283
SLY347
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Drift Section

Postby CMYWPN » November 4th, 2007, 11:35 am

did luke fink compete?
Brad Evans, AKA WAGGIN- Your such a coward. I go out of my way to help you out and you cant even return what does not belong to you. Shame Shame Shame!
CMYWPN
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby SLY347 » November 4th, 2007, 11:38 am

No he didnt, thought he was tho. Think he was busy
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3283
SLY347
Spooling Up

Postby SLY347 » November 4th, 2007, 3:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3283
SLY347
Spooling Up

Postby ed40 » November 9th, 2007, 7:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nb6vBWVYo
I know the blue eb is OPLEZE or something who says N/A coons can't drift!!
Rollin wrote:At least I can deal with it while driving my boyfriend around in my car each weekend
ed40
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 191 times
Been Liked: 137 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Damo » November 9th, 2007, 7:46 pm

That XE runs a flat 14 iirc N/A and the EB is reported to be making around 230 rwkw N/A. :?

Nice video. :D
Damo
Full Boost

Been Liked: 3 times

Postby oneredED » November 10th, 2007, 12:14 am

LOL, I think you mean 130rwkw Damo :P
2013 VW Up!
2014 KTM 250SX-F
AUIII Ute
oneredED
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby Damo » November 10th, 2007, 10:57 am

oneredED wrote:LOL, I think you mean 130rwkw Damo :P

Nah... LOL

Just what I've heard on the grape vine. ;)
Damo
Full Boost

Postby Kenaz » November 11th, 2007, 9:57 am

Damo wrote:That XE runs a flat 14 iirc N/A and the EB is reported to be making around 230 rwkw N/A. :?

That's Stormy's XE! You're right, he ran a 14 flat with heaps of traction issues and a baby cam. I've been for a few laps around Calder in it. Absolutely insane fun! Easily the best driver I've been in the car with.

And James' (OPLESE) EB runs a 6 TB setup now, I'm not 100% sure if it's been tuned properly yet. At the Nizpro dyno day it was still running a pretty rough tune.
Kenaz
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Postby ORSMEB » November 11th, 2007, 4:32 pm

Kenaz wrote:
Damo wrote:That XE runs a flat 14 iirc N/A and the EB is reported to be making around 230 rwkw N/A. :?

That's Stormy's XE! You're right, he ran a 14 flat with heaps of traction issues and a baby cam. I've been for a few laps around Calder in it. Absolutely insane fun! Easily the best driver I've been in the car with.

And James' (OPLESE) EB runs a 6 TB setup now, I'm not 100% sure if it's been tuned properly yet. At the Nizpro dyno day it was still running a pretty rough tune.

True! They're both top drivers. I'm not sure on James dyno reading yet... :shock:
Silver PJ Ranger XLT
lots a mods
ORSMEB
Cruising

Postby CaRtZ » March 8th, 2008, 1:19 am

OPLESE kept up with the pro's (including Fink [in his street soarer]) @ spring nats in november. the t/b setup and coil ignition setup is very interesting indeed. also the hydro h/brake.
EL 'Mont Wagon ----- Full Std & boring

EF Sedan aka Drift Hack ----- Forged AU engine, 6Boost, Garrett, Haltech, 6sp manual, 460hp @ 17psi

http://www.dewarsengines.com.au/
CaRtZ
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 9 times

1996 Ford Falcon

Postby Malakai » March 8th, 2008, 9:48 am

Oh yeah NA falcons can drift for sure. That video is awesome, XE vs EB.
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Been Liked: 32 times

Postby BI6TIM » March 31st, 2008, 3:30 pm

I'm going out to drift practice at QR this Friday night. I'll be sure to post whatever pics and vids we get of it in here to liven it up a bit.
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Been Liked: 6 times

Postby oneredED » March 31st, 2008, 7:37 pm

BI6TIM wrote:I'm going out to drift practice at QR this Friday night. I'll be sure to post whatever pics and vids we get of it in here to liven it up a bit.

I can't wait for the vids :D :D :D

Good luck 8-)
2013 VW Up!
2014 KTM 250SX-F
AUIII Ute
oneredED
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby drift el » April 1st, 2008, 5:28 pm

someone told me that fords have a bit of a problem with understeer is that true i had a bit of a problem when i had 15's in the wet but now i have 17's havn't had a chance to drift on them yet but hopefully it might cancel it out a bit anyone know anything on that?
drift el
Idling

Postby nothin suss » April 1st, 2008, 5:36 pm

drift el wrote:someone told me that fords have a bit of a problem with understeer is that true i had a bit of a problem when i had 15's in the wet but now i have 17's havn't had a chance to drift on them yet but hopefully it might cancel it out a bit anyone know anything on that?

99% of street cars will understeer in the wet if pushed... Real drifting is for the dry, wet drifting is just fun for to/from work!
BF2 DLPG Wagon - daily duties
BF Fairlong Ghia - ED Sprint
nothin suss
Full Boost

Has Liked: 223 times
Been Liked: 90 times

Postby drift el » April 1st, 2008, 6:07 pm

will fatter tyres make much of a difference in the wet though or will it still understeer?
drift el
Idling

Postby nothin suss » April 1st, 2008, 6:19 pm

drift el wrote:will fatter tyres make much of a difference in the wet though or will it still understeer?

From previous experiences a cheap chinese 17"-19" tyre will not out perform a quality australian made 15"-16" tyre in the wet...

To eliminate a bit of understeer get an alignment and try 1-2 degress camber on the front and avoid cheap tyres.

As for drifting and rear tyres in the wet anything will suffice, go for cheap as possible without being a remould. Money spent on good front tyres for your safety is well invested.
nothin suss
Full Boost

Postby BI6TIM » April 1st, 2008, 6:25 pm

Power over steer on public roads in the wet is not Drifting!!!
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Postby drift el » April 1st, 2008, 6:46 pm

i agree with what the guy above me said
drift el
Idling

Postby ORSMEB » April 1st, 2008, 6:59 pm

mmmmm....yeah, ok
Silver PJ Ranger XLT
lots a mods
ORSMEB
Cruising

Postby nothin suss » April 1st, 2008, 7:04 pm

nothin suss wrote: Real drifting is for the dry, wet drifting is just fun for to/from work!
nothin suss
Full Boost

Postby [Sterling] » April 1st, 2008, 7:06 pm

nothin suss wrote:
nothin suss wrote: Real drifting is for the dry, wet drifting is just fun for to/from work!

amen!
2005 MK2 XR6Turbo-Leather-6speed manual-duel zone~weekender.
2011 Holden Colorado LXR-duel cab-Turbo Deisel~work rig/tow car
Boosted B-Series FTW E-Series GTFO.
[Sterling]
Double Clutching

Has Liked: 176 times
Been Liked: 189 times

1980 Ford XR6

Postby Malakai » April 1st, 2008, 8:10 pm

vicfords
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Been Liked: 32 times

Postby BI6TIM » April 1st, 2008, 8:49 pm

drift el wrote:i agree with what the guy above me said

My statement below was aimed at you champ! There is no way you can drift your car since you're asking us about understeer problems and have a thread about starting the mods on your EL, which would tell me your EL is stock!?

BI6TIM wrote:Power over steer on public roads in the wet is not Drifting!!!
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Postby Fairmont888 » April 2nd, 2008, 11:17 am

+1 for agreement with tim
Last edited by Fairmont888 on August 6th, 2008, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOR.0EL on the subject of sex with virgins wrote: i would rather wake up from a dream of a chick licking my nuts, and its actually my cat
Fairmont888
Spooling Up

Postby kstevo » April 5th, 2008, 8:51 pm

What are some of the basics that should be done to ya car before ya can drift it without having to worry bout damage?
kstevo
Cranking Over

Postby BI6TIM » April 5th, 2008, 8:55 pm

kstevo wrote:What are some of the basics that should be done to ya car before ya can drift it without having to worry bout damage?

No such thing! Even the best guys damage their cars every now and then.

As for the basics, I take it you mean to drift a falcon?
You need suspension upgrades, diff upgrade, wheels and tyres are fairly important to get right. You'll need some horsepower and some tallent. That's about it and it applies no matter what vehicle you're driving.
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Postby Rollin » April 5th, 2008, 11:17 pm

Lokka and fken stiff springs and nice stiff shocks will get you started, once you can slide like a demon with that setup (ie, link multiple corners etc) then think about more power and wider tyres, which mean you can drift at higher speeds :)

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby ed40 » April 6th, 2008, 1:01 pm

I had a bit of a play at the local industrial area sat morning and boy how fucken different is a turbo to drift then N/A? I'm still getting used to it.. i dont think my clutch is going to like all these clutch kicks. Lag sucks balls. Anyone have ideas on how to minimise the lag when entering a drift? Obviously a smaller turbo and some high diff gears would help but what about techniques if there is any? OH and my lsd is rooted so that doesn't help either :S When the Lokka goes in i'll take it barbagallo for some legal fun. end rant.
Rollin wrote:At least I can deal with it while driving my boyfriend around in my car each weekend
ed40
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 191 times
Been Liked: 137 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby SLY347 » April 6th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Rollin wrote:Lokka and fken stiff springs and nice stiff shocks will get you started, once you can slide like a demon with that setup (ie, link multiple corners etc) then think about more power and wider tyres, which mean you can drift at higher speeds :)

What do run? Width wise
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3283
SLY347
Spooling Up

Postby drift el » April 8th, 2008, 5:05 pm

my car isn't stock it has intake system, extractors, stiffer suspension, lowered, i just had a bit of trouble in the wet cause i had stockies on the front while trying to find new wheels for my car but i now have 17's on there with much wider tyres and they grip like no tomorrow, as for my other thread i was looking into modifying my car cause i would like to get more power out of it than i am getting at the moment, so far i have had no problems drifting with wider tyres.
drift el
Idling

Postby BI6TIM » April 8th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Well in that case I'll take back most of what I said earlier.
Though I will say, that kind of driving should be left on the race track. If think about it you are only one slight miss-judgement away from killing people while doing that stuff on the street.

That said, that is the reason why I went to the trouble and expense of turboing my car to have enough horse power to hopefully be a competitive drifter on the track where it matters.
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Postby drift el » April 8th, 2008, 7:26 pm

thats also why i want to modify my car further so i can get onto the track and compete but for the street it's ok, i do understand the dangers of drifting on the street so i make sure i'm alone in the car so nobody else gets injured
drift el
Idling

Postby BI6TIM » April 8th, 2008, 9:43 pm

drift el wrote: i do understand the dangers of drifting on the street so i make sure i'm alone in the car so nobody else gets injured

What about people in other cars? Or stepping out from behind a parked car or a mail box?
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Postby b_money » April 9th, 2008, 6:51 am

weight reduction is always forgotten, get rid of everything, even sound deadening
you dont need power to slide, just sweet skills, check out my friends old 2.4lt toyota corona, nothing special just locked diff, very very stiff suspension and dont forget that front camber!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3eDn5PgmI
Valley Speed & Custom
b_money
Idling

Postby AaronEF8 » April 9th, 2008, 5:57 pm

For drifting I would be going a spool over a lokka and save $500. having the wheels locked all the time is more predictable. Not saying lokkas are bad at all, but with a dedicated drift car, it won't be in too many carparks.

More castor is one of the most overlooked things for drifting, especially in a double wishbone style front end like a Falcon. Shortened radius rods and a camber/castor kit will fix that. Going for the biggest rear swaybar you can find, along with an adjustable front swaybar is the way to go for adjustability,

With big swaybars, the springs don't need to be stupidly hard, so you can still get a wheel onto a ripple strip etc and not unsettle the car too much, plus with softer rear springs you'll get better drive out of the corners.

Running big grippy tyres on the front and stockies on the back isn't the best way to go drifting. Tipping the car into a corner sideways at 100kmh+ is fucking scary with 17's on the front and 15's on the rear. Look at every car that does well at an event, you'll notice they have similar front/rear tyres, it helps a lot with balance too, and with a bit more rear end grip you'll get higher cornering speed. If the back comes out too far you can adjust it with the throttle easier too.

All of this is for a dedicated track car btw. Making a daily Falcon into a drifter would be expensive and pointless.
Commando wrote:seriously, this thread is now a complete cyber skip bin filled with all kinds of waste from the internet...
AaronEF8
Full Boost

Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 245 times

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby Rollin » April 9th, 2008, 6:04 pm

ed40 wrote:I had a bit of a play at the local industrial area sat morning and boy how fucken different is a turbo to drift then N/A? I'm still getting used to it.. i dont think my clutch is going to like all these clutch kicks. Lag sucks balls. Anyone have ideas on how to minimise the lag when entering a drift? Obviously a smaller turbo and some high diff gears would help but what about techniques if there is any? OH and my lsd is rooted so that doesn't help either :S When the Lokka goes in i'll take it barbagallo for some legal fun. end rant.

Go into the corner with a fair bit of rpm on board, then just before you turn in, stab the gas (which makes the turbo spool a little) then dip the clutch and hook it in, then on the gas and out with the clutch. (or if you have time stab the gas momentarily with the clutch in, then stab it again as you let the clutch out)

If you have lots of angle the tyres are easier to spin, so the engine picks up rpm (and boost) faster too. Also a good tune helps.

Also, get a lokka and you will blow your wad over how much more controllable your car is! (even though mine tried to kill me in the rain last night, but lets not go there...)

SLY347 - depends on what I've got lying around - atm I have some high quality 225/60/17s (which I got for free from my dad after he bought some wheels off an importer ages ago) and they are brilliant. The width of the rim plays a part too - if you have, say, 235s on 8" rims the car won't 'feel' as good as if you use 225s or 235s+9" rims. The more you stretch the rubber the less the car likes to tank slap, so you're better off running tyres that are smaller than you usually would on the same rim on the street.

b_money - weight reduction hasn't been mentioned here because we are talking about 100% street cars - for a track car I'd remove everything my angle grinder could get to :D but it's not an option on most peoples street cars.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby drift el » April 9th, 2008, 7:18 pm

i only drift late at night in factory areas where the roads are as wide as a 3 lane highway and there is nobody around, i make sure it's as safe as possible until i can get onto a track anyways
drift el
Idling

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Rollin wrote:
b_money - weight reduction hasn't been mentioned here because we are talking about 100% street cars - for a track car I'd remove everything my angle grinder could get to :D but it's not an option on most peoples street cars.

weight is definatly an option on street cars wen it comes to factory items theres heaps of ways to save weight...depending on the car u begin with, i.e falcons

seats r the obvious 1 (gut all the foam out of the rear seat pads)
power windows is definatly out of the question
a/c
p/s
inlet/xhauts manifolds
battery size
carpet thikness/amount of underlay
different door trims
an if u want to go the extra mile on ur strret/drift...perspect windows/fibre glass boot bonnet (panels if u like)
stereo system
fuel load an complete fuel system as compared to LPG load/system (with fuel system gone u lose all ur EPA gear aswell = more loss of weight)
digital dash wiring weight compared to analog dash wiring weight

prety much anything u can find in ur car that it dusnt need/use is prety much "Dead Weight"

all the little things add up
just all depends on how serious u want to go with ur street car an still retain its street car appearence an feel

im not 100% sure, but i think loosing 5lbs in wieght is equivilent to gaining 1hp from the engine

so put the doritos down an go for a run ;)
Just Another E-Series

Garage - http://boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5148 -
Old setup 13.601@100mph (70hp Nitrous shot - Dry) - Bald Tyers/Slipping Clutch
New Setup 13.800@100mph (75hp Nitrous shot -Wet) - Street Slicks/Slow Gear Changes
Member of the BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS, NOT HIGH PERFORMANCES CARS fanclub

PLZB-18: How much boost is it on
YBYAVL: Duno, im too scared to look
YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Next

Return to Drags, Drift & Track