Drift Section

Car Setups, Photos, Discussions

Re: Drift Section

Postby BI6TIM » April 10th, 2008, 2:13 pm

DandyNights wrote: theres heaps of ways to save weight:
*inlet/xhauts manifolds

What do you propose here? You need inlet and exhaust manifolds dude!
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 6 times

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 2:19 pm

loll, ino man...i mean like factory 1s are a heavy cast product then an aftermarket/custom 1
turbo xhaust manifolds especialy i had 1 they weighd like 35k...fukn heavy man, the 1 ive got now is about 18
thats 16k less hanging off the left side of my engine
all my inlet piping from pod filter back is alloy right thru to the inlet manifold, an thats been sanded back to shave sum wieght off aswell

it just all depends on how 'anal' u want to be
Just Another E-Series

Garage - http://boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5148 -
Old setup 13.601@100mph (70hp Nitrous shot - Dry) - Bald Tyers/Slipping Clutch
New Setup 13.800@100mph (75hp Nitrous shot -Wet) - Street Slicks/Slow Gear Changes
Member of the BAN LOW PERFORMANCE DRIVERS, NOT HIGH PERFORMANCES CARS fanclub

PLZB-18: How much boost is it on
YBYAVL: Duno, im too scared to look
YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby BI6TIM » April 10th, 2008, 2:37 pm

DandyNights wrote:it just all depends on how 'anal' u want to be

vvThat's a bit too anal IMO!vv

DandyNights wrote:all my inlet piping from pod filter back is alloy right thru to the inlet manifold, an thats been sanded back to shave sum wieght off aswell
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Postby Gozza » April 10th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Yes - If your going to those lengths you may as well get a bowl colonic jobby and shave your body -

Door trims and back seats and shiz would be a better start
Its a stack of f*ck shit, on top of itself niggaaaaaa
Gozza
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 3:29 pm

im not anal...im broke...its cheaper to take the weight off the spend the cash to get the power on

here sum footage of Stormy from Drift Fest @ Calder

Just Another E-Series

New Setup 13.800@100mph (75hp Nitrous shot -Wet) - Street Slicks/Slow Gear Changes

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby AaronEF8 » April 10th, 2008, 3:35 pm

How much do you think the interior carpet weighs? I don't have any trouble picking it up, same with carrying 4 door trims. The carpet weighs about 5kg, and 4 EF Fairmont door trims with handles weigh 15kg when wrapped in cardboard. Have you ever removed a Falcon back seat? They weigh 12 kg combined, including the steel in them, the foam would weigh about 1kg. Perspex windows will have you defected the first time a cop see's the car. Smaller battery = less CCA, pretty pointless on a Falcon. Moving it to the boot is a better idea, balance the weight out a tad.

Power windows weigh the same as manual windows, you have to add in a big arse cog and the gears to wind it with a manual window. V8SC/Group A V8's worked that out in 1992 when all the teams had power windows on their V8's.

all my inlet piping from pod filter back is alloy right thru to the inlet manifold, an thats been sanded back to shave sum wieght off aswell

Well mine is plastic to the manifold, so it's lighter again! I fitted a plastic MAF just to save 150gms on the front end. :P

May as well sand the car back to bare metal then give it a quick wipe over with fish oil once a week to stop rust, there's 5kg of paint on an average Falcon. The fibreglass panel option is a good idea if you can ever find them, or make them so they don't look like utter shit.

A much more effective way to reduce weight is to look at everything that is built into the body for impact protection (side intrusion bars are a big thing) remove them, drill holes everywhere and fit a roll cage. Rubber sound deadener is a lot heavier than carpet, getting under the car with a blowtorch and a scraper would drop more weight off the car, as would pulling the heater box out of the dash, even that only weighs about 14kg. Cutting every bolt off right at the end of the nut it attaches to will save a lot more weight than sanding back an alloy manifold too.

Dandynights - you have to mount the N2O bottle on the passenger firewall, that extra 4m of plumbing will weigh a kg or 2. The LPG tank brackets you have are mild steel too, maybe take them off and oky strap the tank in place to save another kg as well? Have you moved the lpg tank to the firewall as well yet? That 4m of LPG copper plumbing will weigh a good 5kg as well :P

I'm sure everyone remembers the thread on vwvortex forums with the white Nissan getting stripped to a bare shell by a car magazine, and testing each weight loss result on the 1/4 mile. this reminds me of that, but much more hobo :P
Commando wrote:seriously, this thread is now a complete cyber skip bin filled with all kinds of waste from the internet...
AaronEF8
Full Boost

Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 245 times

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 3:45 pm

Aaron_EF8 wrote:How much do you think the interior carpet weighs? I don't have any trouble picking it up, same with carrying 4 door trims. The carpet weighs about 5kg, and 4 EF Fairmont door trims with handles weigh 15kg when wrapped in cardboard. Have you ever removed a Falcon back seat? They weigh 12 kg combined, including the steel in them, the foam would weigh about 1kg. Perspex windows will have you defected the first time a cop see's the car. Smaller battery = less CCA, pretty pointless on a Falcon. Moving it to the boot is a better idea, balance the weight out a tad.

well theres 33kg jus there in those 3 things even tho its not much
and cops rnt spart enuff to tell perspect windows from glass, u can mount the perspect to the window mech. an still use it....

Aaron_EF8 wrote:A much more effective way to reduce weight is to look at everything that is built into the body for impact protection (side intrusion bars are a big thing) remove them, drill holes everywhere and fit a roll cage. Rubber sound deadener is a lot heavier than carpet, getting under the car with a blowtorch and a scraper would drop more weight off the car, as would pulling the heater box out of the dash, even that only weighs about 14kg. Cutting every bolt off right at the end of the nut it attaches to will save a lot more weight than sanding back an alloy manifold too.

an yes, thats a much more effective way...but as sed b4

Rollin wrote:b_money - weight reduction hasn't been mentioned here because we are talking about 100% street cars - for a track car I'd remove everything my angle grinder could get to :D but it's not an option on most peoples street cars.

its for street cars, cant take out all ur side intrusion bars an cut away at all the "dead weighted panels" an put a cage in...its hardly a stret car anymore at that stage

and i dont have to worry about the extra weight of the nitrous lines coz the nitrous itselfs gives me more then enuff power to carry its own weight :P
an as for the plastic inslet manifold...u can keep it...alloy cools easier then plastic, which means the manifold can be chilled via other methodsto give the enigine cooler air to make it run that lil bit harder...

like i sed, for a street car, its all the lil things that add up, theres no point jus takn out ur carpet an door trims, like i sed b4 33kg....even tho its not much, along with everything else, b4 uno it uve drop 200k of the thing and havnt endagerd the structual integrity of the car itself
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby get_an_ea_today » April 10th, 2008, 3:59 pm

that white XE is awesome!!!! i wish my car had that much power :(
'07 BF Fairlane Ghia - ZF 6 Speed Auto, Silhouette, Black Leather Interior

Mods - Plazmaman CAI, Octane Tint, Plazmaman Billet Oil Cap, K&N 3" Pod Filter, 20" Koya Rex Rims

Audio - Kenwood KDC-U6049 Headunit, 6" KS6.2 Kicker 75wrms Components, 6" KS60 Kicker 65wrms, 2 x 12" CompVR Kicker Subwoofers 800wrms, Option Audio OAK75 4 way 75wrms Amp, Option Audio OAX2000 Monoblock 2000wrms Amp
get_an_ea_today
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Postby BI6TIM » April 10th, 2008, 4:08 pm

get_an_ea_today wrote:that white XE is awesome!!!! i wish my car had that much power :(

Your car would nearly have that much power! XE's are a bunch lighter than E-Series and other than that Stormy's suspension and locked diff helps him out alot.
BI6TIM
Full Boost

Postby get_an_ea_today » April 10th, 2008, 4:14 pm

BI6TIM wrote:
get_an_ea_today wrote:that white XE is awesome!!!! i wish my car had that much power :(

Your car would nearly have that much power! XE's are a bunch lighter than E-Series and other than that Stormy's suspension and locked diff helps him out alot.

Ahhh okies. I would have more power by now, but times are tuff at the moment :cry: and probably will be for a little while longer.
'07 BF Fairlane Ghia - ZF 6 Speed Auto, Silhouette, Black Leather Interior

Mods - Plazmaman CAI, Octane Tint, Plazmaman Billet Oil Cap, K&N 3" Pod Filter, 20" Koya Rex Rims

Audio - Kenwood KDC-U6049 Headunit, 6" KS6.2 Kicker 75wrms Components, 6" KS60 Kicker 65wrms, 2 x 12" CompVR Kicker Subwoofers 800wrms, Option Audio OAK75 4 way 75wrms Amp, Option Audio OAX2000 Monoblock 2000wrms Amp
get_an_ea_today
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Postby AaronEF8 » April 10th, 2008, 4:16 pm

well theres 33kg jus there in those 3 things even tho its not much

Umm, go back and read again. Your 33kg figure is a bit out. You can't remove the seats then remove the foam for the seats to save more weight. You suggested removing the foam and changing the door trims to lighter ones. No door trim weighs -1kg unless you fill it with helium.

its for street cars, cant take out all ur side intrusion bars an cut away at all the "dead weighted panels" an put a cage in...its hardly a stret car anymore at that stage

Removing door trims, carpet, seats etc hardly makes it a street car too. And we all know N2O isn't entirely legal for street use...

and i dont have to worry about the extra weight of the nitrous lines coz the nitrous itselfs gives me more then enuff power to carry its own weight :P

But it doesn't make you handle better, which is the scope of this thread, so that comment is void.

an as for the plastic inslet manifold...u can keep it...alloy cools easier then plastic, which means the manifold can be chilled via other methodsto give the enigine cooler air to make it run that lil bit harder...

Alloy also heats up a lot easier than plastic, this is why car companies are going towards plastic manifolds these days. Again, read what I said properly, the intake is plastic, the manifold isn't. How do you chill your alloy manifold?

Finally, how is anyone meant to trust the words of someone who can't spell? I'm not trying to knock you down, but you are coming across as someone who has found some magical formula to save 200kg, and no-one else has ever known of this.
Commando wrote:seriously, this thread is now a complete cyber skip bin filled with all kinds of waste from the internet...
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 4:28 pm

its not a magical formula, its just a matter of takin all the shit out u dont need...an i dont feel the need to spell properly on a forum wen u can still easily understand the point thats bein made
obviously if ur seats out, y gut it???...onli gut it if its goin bak in to take half the weight out of it

i never sed it made me handle better, u bought up the nitrous an movin it to the firewall to save weight on the line.
no its not legal for the street never sed it was, but theyre guna notice the interior missing b4 they notice the bottle in the boot....

car companies r goin towards plastic coz its cheaper, its all about the bottom line....not weight an power, if u think otherwise ur sadly mistakn

its simple to chill ur inlet manifold if u think about it...an no im not guna tell u...i had to think of it, u can too
its just another way of coolin the air that goes into the engine

i thought the scope of the thread was "anything drift setups/comps/pic" so realy, any comment to to with drift is valid
i simple sed a few ideas for savin weight on a street car it wasnt an open invitation to start a bitch session if i wanted that i woulda gone on iRC
but u come back with all hostility, who took the jam out of ur dohnut today

so u belive everything the papers say...coz they spell correctly???
Last edited by YBYAVL on April 10th, 2008, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby AaronEF8 » April 10th, 2008, 4:45 pm

OK, well just quickly. the 33kg thing.

I listed 5kg for the carpet, 15kg for the door trims/handles, and 12kg for the rear seats. That equals 32kg (i know 1kg) Then you went and added the extra kg for removing the foam from the rear seats that were already out of the car. Either that or you can't do 2 digit addition sums. I think it's the former myself. Chucking in swear words simply shows you are getting out of your depth but don't want to admit it.

an i never sed it made me handle better, u bought up the nitrous an movin it to the firewall to save weight on the line.

Ok then, well 46kg (100lb.) is 1/10th off your quarter time. There are easier ways to gain a tenth then remove most of the interior. I bet you don't have the pinion angle adjusted properly.
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby EL XR8 » April 10th, 2008, 4:50 pm

No we wouldn't believe everything the papers wrote, but its fucking annoying reading anything that you type.  It looks like a 14 old school girl text messaging her friends.  I hate SMS speak, even in SMS'. 8-)
Blown EL XR8
Supercharged 2011 RXT-X 260 jetski
EL XR8
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 1 time

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 4:51 pm

ok, the 33kg thing then....wen i added it up, i didnt read it a 2nd time...i jus went thru an sped red the figures an calculated them to get an answer....
lol, so i now i cant swear without the risk of it seeming like i dont no wat im talking about???
im from dandenong, swearing is in the everyday vocabulary
i spose that means im sum form of redneck of hick or un-educated trailor trash then right?

an who cares about quater times??? i thought this was a drift thread
like i sed losin weight is cheaper then gaining power
Last edited by YBYAVL on April 10th, 2008, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 4:54 pm

ok then...ill type properley just for you're own satisfaction :roll:
just takes to much extra time to dial in the other lettters...
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby AaronEF8 » April 10th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Seeing as you're the one editing your posts, using swear words and calling this a bitch session, I think the hostility is coming from your end? I have just been giving you another angle to think about, but of course, you have taken it the wrong way, and believe I am trying to shut you down or something.

No-one took the jam out of my doughnut, I'm just bored with 2 days off work, waiting for my shit to get here from summit racing so I can look at the shiney stuff. So why are you getting defensive? You thought you knew everything about everything to do with cars, but someone states a few facts and you try to think of things to come back at them with, but all you have is swear words?
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 5:07 pm

Aaron_EF8 wrote:How much do you think the interior carpet weighs? I don't have any trouble picking it up, same with carrying 4 door trims. The carpet weighs about 5kg, and 4 EF Fairmont door trims with handles weigh 15kg when wrapped in cardboard. Have you ever removed a Falcon back seat? They weigh 12 kg combined, including the steel in them, the foam would weigh about 1kg. Perspex windows will have you defected the first time a cop see's the car. Smaller battery = less CCA, pretty pointless on a Falcon. Moving it to the boot is a better idea, balance the weight out a tad.

Power windows weigh the same as manual windows, you have to add in a big arse cog and the gears to wind it with a manual window. V8SC/Group A V8's worked that out in 1992 when all the teams had power windows on their V8's.

Well mine is plastic to the manifold, so it's lighter again! I fitted a plastic MAF just to save 150gms on the front end. :P

May as well sand the car back to bare metal then give it a quick wipe over with fish oil once a week to stop rust, there's 5kg of paint on an average Falcon. The fibreglass panel option is a good idea if you can ever find them, or make them so they don't look like utter shit.

A much more effective way to reduce weight is to look at everything that is built into the body for impact protection (side intrusion bars are a big thing) remove them, drill holes everywhere and fit a roll cage. Rubber sound deadener is a lot heavier than carpet, getting under the car with a blowtorch and a scraper would drop more weight off the car, as would pulling the heater box out of the dash, even that only weighs about 14kg. Cutting every bolt off right at the end of the nut it attaches to will save a lot more weight than sanding back an alloy manifold too.

Dandynights - you have to mount the N2O bottle on the passenger firewall, that extra 4m of plumbing will weigh a kg or 2. The LPG tank brackets you have are mild steel too, maybe take them off and oky strap the tank in place to save another kg as well? Have you moved the lpg tank to the firewall as well yet? That 4m of LPG copper plumbing will weigh a good 5kg as well :P

I'm sure everyone remembers the thread on vwvortex forums with the white Nissan getting stripped to a bare shell by a car magazine, and testing each weight loss result on the 1/4 mile. this reminds me of that, but much more hobo :P

i didn't see that as another angle at which look at, i saw it as a cheap stab
sorry if it wasn't but eh, thats y i got defensive
i never said i knew everything about cars, all i simply did was list a cheap things that could save you someone weight in you're street car

DandyNights wrote:its not a magical formula, its just a matter of taking all the shit out u don't need...

i think thats the only place i swore, how is that resorting to swear words for a come back???
i figured you were either bored at the office or bored at home

and I'm editing my post's because I'm seeing typo's and adding shit <---like this
I'm not allowed to do that?
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby CaRtZ » April 10th, 2008, 8:11 pm

i know a bloke who races a Hyundai Sonata in the AMRS series. i know its a hyundai but it is a quick car. he has stripped about 100kg out of his car. he said the best thing was spending 2 days with hammer and chisel, removing the sound deadener from the floor, roof, boot and doors. thats where most of his wieght was and apparently is in any road car.
EL 'Mont Wagon ----- Full Std & boring

EF Sedan aka Drift Hack ----- Forged AU engine, 6Boost, Garrett, Haltech, 6sp manual, 460hp @ 17psi

http://www.dewarsengines.com.au/
CaRtZ
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 9 times

1996 Ford Falcon

Postby five point slow » April 10th, 2008, 9:18 pm

Slimline number plates save a bit of weight too guys.
five point slow
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby YBYAVL » April 10th, 2008, 9:38 pm

and dont forget to use alloy screws,
no point going slimeline if you're going to use stainless 1's :D
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby five point slow » April 10th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Liquid nails ;)
five point slow
Spooling Up

Postby EL XR8 » April 11th, 2008, 9:45 am

Just be sick **** and put the plates in the window on a 45deg angle.Now there's no screws!
Blown EL XR8
Supercharged 2011 RXT-X 260 jetski
EL XR8
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 1 time

Postby Gozza » April 11th, 2008, 10:54 am

This reminds me of the Porche GT3 - To save weight everywhere possible even the Porsche badges were made from Carbon Fibre
Its a stack of f*ck shit, on top of itself niggaaaaaa
Gozza
Hitting N2O

Been Liked: 3 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby YBYAVL » April 11th, 2008, 12:02 pm

Barge8 wrote:Liquid nails ;)

hahahah...silicone would wiegh less, don't you rekn??
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby [Sterling] » April 11th, 2008, 3:48 pm

ive got a nissan S15 silva with a full race exhaust, intake, turbo that puts out roughly 412kw, interior has been stripped and role cage put in, adjustable suspension/swaybays/downforce/brakes,

on forza 2 on my Xbox :D :lol:
2005 MK2 XR6Turbo-Leather-6speed manual-duel zone~weekender.
2011 Holden Colorado LXR-duel cab-Turbo Deisel~work rig/tow car
Boosted B-Series FTW E-Series GTFO.
[Sterling]
Double Clutching

Has Liked: 176 times
Been Liked: 189 times

1980 Ford XR6

Postby YBYAVL » April 11th, 2008, 4:31 pm

lol, f**k the S15....
find the 1976 Fairlady (Datsun 260z)
and go full house...R32 GTR running gear i got it making 653kw,
you can take your hands off the wheel through corners an just use the throttle around maple valley full....awesome car

I've got an S15 with that conversion too...the Datsun just looks cooler lol

awesome game, I'm waiting to see how GT5 compares
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby [Sterling] » April 11th, 2008, 4:48 pm

Kester KTM <-- thats my Xbox 360 name, twin drifting maybe?
[Sterling]
Double Clutching

1980 Ford XR6

Postby YBYAVL » April 11th, 2008, 5:55 pm

naa my xbox blew up :cry:
played it too long and cooked it
waiting for my mate to repair it then I'll be back online
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby [Sterling] » April 11th, 2008, 6:03 pm

Chioce!
[Sterling]
Double Clutching

1980 Ford XR6

Postby Samf » April 11th, 2008, 10:58 pm

CaRtZ wrote:OPLESE kept up with the pro's (including Fink [in his street soarer]

Its a MARK II fuckhead
Samf
Idling

Postby oneredED » April 11th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Samf wrote:
CaRtZ wrote:OPLESE kept up with the pro's (including Fink [in his street soarer]

Its a MARK II fuckhead

Wow I'm feelin that love.
2013 VW Up!
2014 KTM 250SX-F
AUIII Ute
oneredED
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby b_money » April 12th, 2008, 8:41 am

anyway, removing sound deadening like i said before saves weight.
same as dandynights said, removing anything not important to you helps, street car/track car, illegal/legal, who cares? as long as it improves your slides.
Valley Speed & Custom
b_money
Idling

Postby Stengord » April 12th, 2008, 1:11 pm

DandyNights wrote: but theyre guna notice the interior missing b4 they notice the bottle in the boot....

Not if you get dark as **** tinting
1985 BMW 318i
1988 Suzuki Sierra (2'' extended shackles, 31'' BF goodrich muddies, 2'' body lift, lightforce spotlights)
Stengord
Spooling Up

Postby wicksy » April 12th, 2008, 5:14 pm

lol sounds like a scene from the bold and the beautiful
wicksy
Full Boost

Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 55 times

Postby YBYAVL » April 12th, 2008, 7:25 pm

abcisfun wrote:
DandyNights wrote: but theyre guna notice the interior missing b4 they notice the bottle in the boot....

Not if you get dark as **** tinting

you cant talk to the cop with your windows up now can you...I'm sure when you wind your window down to hand him your license, hes going to notice the absent seats/doortrims an carpet
Just Another E-Series

YBYAVL
Breaking Traction

Postby wicksy » April 12th, 2008, 9:49 pm

thats why in QLD you get a modplate for change of seating, get it from 5 seats to one
wicksy
Full Boost

Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 55 times

Postby CaRtZ » April 16th, 2008, 1:31 am

Samf wrote:

Its a MARK II fuckhead

ok mr. cranky-pants, calm down. im sorry for miss-identifying a debadged car, and a toyota at that :P
anyways i plan to start with sound deadner and all boot trim etc once i buy my track car but i dont think il go much further than that wieght reduction wise...
EL 'Mont Wagon ----- Full Std & boring

EF Sedan aka Drift Hack ----- Forged AU engine, 6Boost, Garrett, Haltech, 6sp manual, 460hp @ 17psi

http://www.dewarsengines.com.au/
CaRtZ
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 9 times

1996 Ford Falcon

Postby EDFalcon » April 17th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Back to drifting:

ANYONE GOING TO WINTON ON SATURDAY???

I'm towing my mates AE86 there but not going out in the XR8. If you're into drifting go along for the support. Calder has stopped VicDrift from going there and depending on numbers on saturday they may stop it there too so come along.

I'll chuck up plenty of drift vids to try and end hostility in this thread when i'm back.

Steve
EDFalcon
Breaking Traction

Been Liked: 2 times

Postby AaronEF8 » April 17th, 2008, 7:27 pm

I've seen that on a couple of forums now. Why would Calder stop drifting there? Please don't say it's another Jane family thing. I thought it was becoming quite a big (read expensive) motorsport in Oz?

I guess when it comes to drift SA is still a bit spoilt, seeing as SA has always been the home of drift in oz :P
AaronEF8
Full Boost

1997 Ford Fairmont

PreviousNext

Return to Drags, Drift & Track