Ford AU drift car

Car Setups, Photos, Discussions

Ford AU drift car

Postby Kalab » July 15th, 2014, 9:44 am

hey guys just dropping by to hopefully learn some thing,

ive built the car already, its a ford au shell with xr6 turbo and Link computer running it, what i want to focus on at the moment is handling and steering,

i want to buy new springs , shocks and sway bar and linkages, atm its running cut old pedders suspension , whats everyones idea on super low King springs all around and white line racing swaybar and links? has anyone has exp with these and are they worth it?

im also wondering on whats best for wheels 17 or 18s? and what type of tyre for the best grip and best steer tyres atm im running 18x8.5 with hiflys

if someone could help me out it will be much appreciated thank you!
Kalab
Cranking Over

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: Ford AU drift car

Postby EBOOST » July 15th, 2014, 11:27 am

Coilovers and thickest rear bar you can get. Front bar I'd personally go a 27mm as I find the 30mm introduces alot of understeer when pushing hard.

Tyres go something decent for fronts achilles 123s are supposed to be really good and are a "semi slick".

Otherwise trial and error as not many people try this with falcons.
Post some pics!!!
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby Rollin » July 15th, 2014, 11:51 am

Definitely worth spending up on coilovers.

Try and get some wider wheels too - a mismatched set of jap rims in 17x9 for the front and 10 or 11s for the rear to get some good stretch happening will help handling and control - more stretch = less tank slapping.

Cheap shitter tyres for the rear and decent grippy fronts.

Is it a track car or a streeter?

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Kalab » July 15th, 2014, 12:57 pm

what coil overs do you recommend and i can only get front coils cause this AU isnt IRS too,

yer wider wheels for front and back and most definately comming but atm 18s are leaving me with heaps of traction,
i have actually shortened the steering by cutting and re welding at hub it works really well with one full revolution for lock, also has a few other little goodies like radiator in the front and the back both with thermo fans
ill post some photos tonight im at work,

any of yous heard of raleigh raceway or raleigh drift comp?
Kalab
Cranking Over

Postby xr6tjet » July 15th, 2014, 4:32 pm

I recommend the XYZ coilovers, they are bloody amazing and they suit live axle. Car corners like a legend with them and I was more pleased with these than when I had the pedders coilovers test fitted!
xr6tjet
Cruising

Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Postby Rollin » July 15th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Twin radiators? I've got to see this!

PIKKKIES!!!!!!!!

I was going to mention that AU stub axles look modifiable but you've already gotten in there, I'm super keen for pics of them! Do you have any problems with the steering locking up at full lock?

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Kalab » July 15th, 2014, 8:07 pm : Bipolar, EBOOST Likes this post

I mite go the coil overs than , yer we modified the stub axle about 3 years ago , these photos I have are from about 3 years ago when the was a n/a au 6 cyl the green au that is in one of the photos is a xr6t , I ended up rebuilding the car and put the stock xr6t with a link g4 computer , we bolted a 4 speed manual xd single rail gear box onto it , I will update with some newer photos

The hoses run of the heater hoses at the back of the engine ,

This is the exhaust modification we done more so it didn't get caught when loading onto trailers , it actually comes out the side skirt Image

dash is still this simple but with simple wiring

Kalab
Cranking Over

Postby Wagone » July 15th, 2014, 9:18 pm

very cool! how come you went with a second radiator, lack of air flow/ more fluid volume? cant say ive heard of raleigh before being from down vic but seems like some good fun!
Wagone
Cruising

Has Liked: 1 time

Postby Rollin » July 15th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Lol that's ghetto as but I reckon it would work a treat.

Love the exhaust mod too, the things you can get away with on a track car!

Keen to see pics of the arms!

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Kalab » July 17th, 2014, 1:16 pm

The reason we went with the second radiator was simply too target heat away from the engine bay, heat ruins things like wiring and motors, and its a little piece of mind being able too switch on your second thermos after battling, the exhaust makes the car sound super mean its good, im getting back into the build and want too make the car really clean and super competitive, the motor is only running 9 psi boost with a 5500 rpm rev limit , so the car can be flogged all day and not miss na beat (hopefully touch wood)
Kalab
Cranking Over

Postby Arlier » May 24th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Kalab wrote:The reason we went with the second radiator was simply too target heat away from the engine bay, heat ruins things like wiring and motors, and its a little piece of mind being able too switch on your second thermos after battling, the exhaust makes the car sound super mean its good, im getting back into the build and want too make the car really clean and super competitive, the motor is only running 9 psi boost with a 5500 rpm rev limit , so the car can be flogged all day and not miss na beat (hopefully touch wood)

Makes sense when you explain it like that. I bet it's a fun one to drive too.
Last edited by Arlier on October 23rd, 2021, 1:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arlier
Cranking Over

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby ed40 » May 31st, 2017, 2:40 pm

Love the build. Any videos??
Rollin wrote:At least I can deal with it while driving my boyfriend around in my car each weekend
ed40
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 191 times
Been Liked: 137 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby james88 » July 20th, 2017, 5:13 am

Any videos? I wanna see this thing in action.
james88
Cruising

Been Liked: 0 time

Return to Drags, Drift & Track