AU Steering For Drift Car

Car Setups, Photos, Discussions

AU Steering For Drift Car

Postby Kalab » August 12th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Hey all I have posted a few threads with builds ect, ok so we have cut the knuckles on the hub a re welded them too give us 1 steering revolution for full lock, what we have figured out after snapping 2 cross member bolts for the steering rack a bending 1, the mod we have done for the knuckles if giving way too much stress on other components, so im put the old hub and stubb axles back on and going back too the normal steering, so now what I want too do is put 16x10 on the front and fiddle around with shimming , have any of yous have a good gauge on caster and camber? need to make the car as easy too drive as possible , any help would be good thanks !
Kalab
Cranking Over

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: AU Steering For Drift Car

Postby Rollin » August 12th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Can you chuck up some pics of what you've done and what has been breaking? We might be able to suggest a better way of doing it?

16x10 is a big wheel for the front - why so wide?

You want lots of caster and camber for drifting.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Kalab » August 13th, 2014, 9:27 am

I would post some pictures but i havent been near car since weekend , the bolts that im snapping are the ones that hold the steering rack onto the cross member, i beleive because we have cut the knuckles when i hit lock the ball joint is pressing hard up against thre hub which is giving stress on those bolts, we have tryed putting in stronger bolts , we were going to trill out the cross member and put bigger bolts through but than you have troubles with the bushes in the steering rack being too small, so just going too go back too normal knucles and try get as much camber / caster as possibe, what are yous doing too get these? what do yous reccomend too get the maximun caster and camber?
Kalab
Cranking Over

Postby Kalab » August 13th, 2014, 9:28 am

We had a jap car driver come too our even with a ford au stock street car, with 16x11.5 on the front and it worked but were too big but looked so fat!
Kalab
Cranking Over

Postby EBOOST » August 13th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Did you gain any lock by cut and shutting the knuckle? I'd suggest you did by the sounds of it.
You sure you weren't getting any bind?
Or possible tie rod touching somewhere?
Or even tyre touching inner guard area.

Did you put it on ramps and turn it lock to lock to make sure nothing is touching?
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby Kalab » August 13th, 2014, 2:29 pm

the tie rod end is hitting hard against the hub which is giving it the weak point when on full lock, how are you getting maximun castor angle?
Kalab
Cranking Over

Postby Rollin » August 13th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Are you using those little extra lock spacer thingos that you slip onto the thread of the inner rack end? Maybe if you let the rack have more travel it won't punish the bolts as badly.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby EBOOST » August 14th, 2014, 6:39 pm

How much extra lock are you getting? Photos would be great
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times