How to change your cam on your 6 cylinder OHC Falcon

Walk throughs on modifcations

Postby EFFalcon » December 14th, 2007, 9:58 am : DroopyCurve Likes this post

By John_xr6

Pictures will be up as soon as the server is ready Wink
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: The E-Series Owners Club and the writers of the articles take no responsibility for any damage or problems or grief that may be a result of following one of our articles. Make sure you know what you are doing, are confident and competent before commencing any activity. You do so at your own risk!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tools Required
Torque Wrench
Ratchet
Breaker Bar
7mm socket (if changing rocker covers)
10mm socket
13mm socket
17mm socket
22mm socket
Spark plug socket
Various extension bars
Screw driver
Small hammer
Shifter

Step 1
Remove all things which cross over the rocker cover and which go on it. These include: Sparkplug leads, Accelerator Cable, Cruise Control Cable(if fitted), PCV Valve Hose and Manifold Vacuum Hose (back of rocker cover) I also removed the sparkplugs, Brake booster hose and the Air Box.

Step 2
Undo the 4 nuts holding the rocker cover on using the 13 mm socket. Push the brake booster hose out of the way and remove the rocker cover. The rocker cover may be sealed on tight so use a screw driver and the small hammer to wedge in between the rocker cover and the gasket. Be careful not to damage the top of the cylinder head. Once the seal is broken you need to remove the cover it can be quite tricky so be patient.

Your engine bay should now look something like this.

Step 3
Rotate the motor using the 22mm socket on the harmonic balancer bolt until one of the no 6 cylinder rockers is rocking. Now get 4 pieces of lint free cloth and jam them into the oil holes so when the rockers are removed no pieces which may fall off can go into the sump. Source a cable tie and zip it on to the cam gear and chain so it doesn’t move. You must now only crack the cam bolt to avoid difficulty later on. Use the 17mm socket and a breaker bar and just give it a sharp quick hit with the palm of your hand to break the seal.

Now remove the rockers bolts one full turn at a time working from the ends in using the 10mm socket. repeat this until all tension is relieved then remove the rockers.

Your engine bay should look something like this now.

Step 4
Now source another camshaft or get yours re ground, and oil the camshaft journals. I’m using an ultra low Km EF unit.

Heres mine.

Step 5
Once your new cam is ready remove the old one. Get someone to use a shaft in between the holes on the cam gear to provide enough tension on it so the chain tensioner doesn’t spring out causing it to be too tight later on. Remove the bolt and tap the gear off gently with a small hammer. remove the old cam and insert new one. line up the dowel pin on the gear with the slot in the cam and tap the cam gear back on to the cam, apply some loctite to the end threads on the cam bolt and tighten it to finger tight. Your assistant can now remove the shaft from the cam gear holes. You must now tighten the cam bolt to 50 Nm. Use a large screwdriver and a rag to slot in a cam gear hole to stop it from rotating when tensioning it.

Should look something like this now

Step 6
Now re install your rockers. This time work from the middle bolts out in a clockwise direction. Do them up finger tight first then one turn at a time until all bolts no longer become soft to turn meaning its fully down but not overly tight. Now use the tension wrench and tighten each one to 25 Nm working from the middle out again. Once this is done quickly go over each bolt on the same tension to guarantee each bolt is tight. Once this is done rotate the motor a few times on the harmonic balancer bolt to make sure it turns nicely and nothing hits. Line up the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to TDC and make sure the line in the cam gear is about 3mm above the top surface of the head. if it’s way off rotate the crank 1 full turn again. this is just to make sure the timing chain hasn’t slipped a tooth. Don’t forget to remove the 4 pieces of cloth too.

Step7
Now is a good time to paint your rocker cover if you wish, I decided to put a Tickford one on and swapped my PCV valve and lead holders from my original cover to my new one. you will need a 7mm to remove the lead holders. also get a new PCV valve rubber from ford.

here’s mine.

Step 8
Clean up your rocker cover gasket surface removing all old dirt and silicon. Install you new gasket with a bead of silicon around the half moons (EA-ED only). I used a one piece rubber one as it is less prone to leaks. Now bolt your rocker cover back on. Tighten the bolts to 6 Nm working from middle outwards.

Should look like this now.

Step 9
Clean up the engine bay a bit if you want. I used some Orange Force Spray and Wipe stuff, works great. Re install all hoses, cables, sparkplugs etc.

Final product should look like this now.

Step 10
Start it up and take it for a drive. Now be glad that you’ve saved your self heaps of $$$ by not taking it to a mechanic to get it fitted. its easy to do it yourself if you have a bit of knowledge and the right tools.
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Re: How to change your cam on your 6 cylinder OHC Falcon

Postby G3R3N » February 3rd, 2008, 12:05 pm

Any pictures as yet?
G3R3N
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Postby John_LS1 » February 4th, 2008, 6:03 pm

this was written ages ago by me. there was pictures but theres not much to look at :P ill have a look see if there on photobucket.
VZ Berlina 408 stroker, TH400 with TCE 4500 converter, 3.9's with trutrac, difilippo 1 7/8 headers and 3 inch Exhaust.
John_LS1
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Postby John_LS1 » February 4th, 2008, 6:35 pm

its actually of when i changed my headgasket but same process

VZ Berlina 408 stroker, TH400 with TCE 4500 converter, 3.9's with trutrac, difilippo 1 7/8 headers and 3 inch Exhaust.
John_LS1
Spooling Up

Postby Amon » February 5th, 2008, 6:07 pm

did u use silicon with the rocker cover gasket?

i did mine up to wat i thought would be ok (tight but not overtight)... didnt know there were torque specifications for the rocker cover...

also i didnt use silicon... seems to be alright tho...
Beef or chicken ming mongs
Amon
Breaking Traction

Been Liked: 2 times

1994 Ford XR6

Postby Airved » February 5th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Man, I wanted to do my own cam, but didn't know how and wasn't gonna risk it without some sort of diagram. Least if it fucks up, I can go whinge to someone!
'89 EA S Pack
--------------------------------------------------------
Pioneer Deh-3590 Player, Front - Pioneer 6" Splits/tweeters, Rear - 6" Pioneer 3-ways, Coustic c200 Amp, JL Audio 12" Boxed Sub
Pacemaker 4499's, Redback 2.5" exhaust, High-flow cat, K&N panel filter
Tinting, tinted tail-lights
Super lows all around
Crow 222825 cam
Stage 2 Shift Kit

:( TOTALLED :(
Airved
Cruising

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby John_LS1 » February 6th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Amon wrote:did u use silicon with the rocker cover gasket?

i did mine up to wat i thought would be ok (tight but not overtight)... didnt know there were torque specifications for the rocker cover...

also i didnt use silicon... seems to be alright tho...

there is a tourqe spec but i cant remember what it is. you have to be carefull to not overtighten the rocker cover as they can crack easily. I only used silicon on the half moons.
John_LS1
Spooling Up

Postby ORSMEB » April 1st, 2008, 7:04 pm

Thanks for this writeup John, I will use it very soon!
Silver PJ Ranger XLT
lots a mods
ORSMEB
Cruising

Postby Sunboost » April 15th, 2008, 2:44 pm

Yeah very nice work pics would help but.
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Postby edfamily » July 19th, 2008, 2:34 pm

still no picks?
Holden Owners are like whiskers, every pussy has them
edfamily
Idling

Postby FOR.0EL » October 10th, 2008, 8:21 am

yeah any pics happening?

me and my dad have gotta change my headgasket over soon as its on its way out :S
so in the process i was thinking it would be mega simple to change the camshaft as you have to remove the original one anyway to do the headgasket? correct me if im wrong

"The best type of strip clubs are where you can touch and insert things into the employees in a back room for a small fee. I always bring Matchbox cars cause they are a ***** to get out of a ******. Obviously I don't bring my rare editions just my doubles."

Tuned by CVE...!
FOR.0EL
Breaking Traction

Been Liked: 3 times

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby Rollin » October 10th, 2008, 6:03 pm

You can take the head off without removing the rocker gear and cam, but it's not hard to swap the cam while you do the head, as you'll already have the cam gear off the front and the timing chain slack etc.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby rab » February 5th, 2009, 3:34 pm

whats the cost supplied and fitted for a lumpy cam from a shop ? :) nice lumpy idle and good mid range grunt but not to the point it wont idle...if ye know what i mean.. i know damn all about this modification.. :lol:
WHOLESALEBLINDCOMPANY.COM.AU
110 Morayfield Rd, Morayfield, next to John Page Nissan.
0415-814-134
BLINDS/SHUTTERS/AWNINGS
rab
Cruising

Postby FordFairmont » February 5th, 2009, 5:20 pm

rab wrote:whats the cost supplied and fitted for a lumpy cam from a shop ? :) nice lumpy idle and good mid range grunt but not to the point it wont idle...if ye know what i mean.. i know damn all about this modification.. :lol:

Ive had a few different Wade cams in my car, and found them to be great value
http://www.wadecams.com/ ....... click on 'popular profiles'

unfortunately, a lumpy idle in our eseries equates to top end power & nothing down low. Plus you have to spend money on other things like stronger valve springs, chip & tuning, shorter diff gears & high stall for auto etc.

Price works out to $180 for a regrind cam after postage costs, plus extra shims for the lifters, cost depending on whether you buy new or from wreckers.

brand new billet cam costs $395 plus post
Sundeep wrote:I'd prob take the EF because I'd be looking at a dash that was designed by CAD rather than with pencils, t squares and protractors
FordFairmont
Banned

Been Liked: 1 time

Postby rab » February 5th, 2009, 5:46 pm

1673 looks to be the one.. just need to email about fitting as brissy is too far to travel from to vic :lol:
0415-814-134
BLINDS/SHUTTERS/AWNINGS
rab
Cruising

Postby FordFairmont » February 5th, 2009, 6:14 pm

rab wrote:1673 looks to be the one.. just need to email about fitting as brissy is too far to travel from to vic :lol:

you will find alot of mechanics probably wouldnt even know what a shim is. I had a sour experience getting my first cam fitted by a so-called mechanic. Ive changed mine around since, more times than i can remember.

make the 2.5 hour trip up to Warwick, and i'll fit it for $80. All you need is the cam, and a set of 12 shims for the lifters (theres already 1 factory shim in each lifter from the factory, you need an extra one in each lifter)

also, because you have an EL, you need to know if it has a AU hybrid head as this requires a different cam. Can check the model number on the front of the head, or can remove the rocker cover and see if it has the AU conical valve springs (beehive shape)
Sundeep wrote:I'd prob take the EF because I'd be looking at a dash that was designed by CAD rather than with pencils, t squares and protractors
FordFairmont
Banned

Postby rab » February 5th, 2009, 6:46 pm

will look now.. ;)
0415-814-134
BLINDS/SHUTTERS/AWNINGS
rab
Cruising

Postby FOR.0EL » February 6th, 2009, 11:21 am

Any photos yet? im looking to give this a crack as reading the whole lot a whole lot of times is sorta clear to me the beasics of it, but photos would make it 100% easier...

"The best type of strip clubs are where you can touch and insert things into the employees in a back room for a small fee. I always bring Matchbox cars cause they are a ***** to get out of a ******. Obviously I don't bring my rare editions just my doubles."

Tuned by CVE...!
FOR.0EL
Breaking Traction

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby holmsy » February 9th, 2009, 3:31 pm

its a pretty easy job mate. i did it one day when i had no clue what i was in for. was easy job just time consuming undoing all the bolts.
one thing to be sure doesnt happen. never let the chain go loose. my big mistake. took me hours to get the thing back together cause it was to hard to get to the tensioner to loosen it.
Project: SLOXR8: 1994 EF XR8, mech shift kit, 3500 histall, Lokka, 36lb injectors, AU 185 motor, Cranecam 444225, crane roller rockers, crow valve springs, Pacies, 3" exhaust, hiflo cats. twin 044's, vortech v2,microtech tuned by daltons (290.3rwkw @11psi) at DALTONS
holmsy
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 182 times
Been Liked: 154 times

1994 Ford XR8

Postby Phillis » February 9th, 2009, 3:43 pm

id still be 11ty times more confident if there were a few photos!
'94 EF XR6 Wagon- Build Thread here

pHaT`eL wrote:Editing posts never really gets old :)

I have a tiny tiny penis.
Phillis
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby travs ea-xr6 » February 14th, 2009, 11:29 pm

to get to the chain tansioner you have to remove the powerstering pump to the side ;)
travs ea-xr6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 8 times

Postby FOR.0EL » February 18th, 2009, 12:00 am

im not 100% sure but i think i have an EL/AU hybrid head or whatever, if thats the case what cam can i look at getting as i was very keen on the wade 1673...

Tuned by CVE...!
FOR.0EL
Breaking Traction

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby travs ea-xr6 » February 18th, 2009, 7:00 am

just ask wade cams they wiil tell ya ;)
travs ea-xr6
Full Boost

Postby FOR.0EL » May 26th, 2009, 10:51 pm

should i set it to TDC before i do anything? or just at the end when im checking the timing mark on the cam gear, doing this on friday if i get everything i need by then, if not then monday..

Tuned by CVE...!
FOR.0EL
Breaking Traction

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby travs ea-xr6 » May 27th, 2009, 8:09 am

well nay with the tdc id do it when you have just taken the rocker cover off so you can see the rocker arms and springs are all even and none of the valves are open when its lined up with tdc.
you want it to be at top dead center before you even touch the head gear.
so when all the valves are shut its on the power stroke and that what you want.
its eassy mate
travs ea-xr6
Full Boost

Postby bng » May 27th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Thanks heaps effalcon. Hoping to try this in the coming weeks, just gotta save more money after i get my exhaust done
bng
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby FOR.0EL » June 3rd, 2009, 1:45 am

How to change your cam

by Nathan/FOR.0EL/Me.

so here goes,

- get all your leads, air intake, all the hoses and crap out of the way.
- remove your rocker cover. it is a pain beause that damn brake booster hose at the back, just remove the hose if you want to. i didnt.
- jam some cloth into the oil gallery's, and get some cable ties and cable tie the timig chain to the cam gear.
- now loosen the cam bolt to make it more possible when you remove the rocker gear
- now get a few beers, perhaps a clock to watch time go by, while you remove the 11ty billion bolts from the rocker gear.
- now remove the cam bolt, and get your assistant (i didnt have an assistant, rope also works) to jam some screwdrivers in there to hold the cam gear and all the junk in place.
- get your old cam out and your new one in presto!
- do up the cam bolt, and the rocker gear bolts. this takes some time, did for me anyway.
- remove the cable ties and cloth, clearly.
- put your rocker cover back on, and the rest of the shit, leads and whatnot.
- start her up and go for a drive.

dont ask why i just wrote all that, this is exactly what i done tonight, didnt stuff around with TDC or any other stuff that may be said somewhere else. not saying anyone else is wrong just saying this is what i done.

photos..

rocker cover off

hard to see, but these are the oil holes.

jammed up oil holes, rocker bolts out, 100 cables ties on the cam gear...

Close up shot with my 2 assistants, and whatever else you wanna see.

And my other assistant at work!

If you have any questions or whatnot, ill be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Tuned by CVE...!
FOR.0EL
Breaking Traction

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby travs ea-xr6 » June 3rd, 2009, 8:12 am

It looks like you got the engine on TDC because the valve springs look like there open free so it must of been on the power stroke.
If you dont have cyl 1 at TDC you will likely smash the valves in cyl 1.
is the new cam in now,hows it go :)
travs ea-xr6
Full Boost

Postby FOR.0EL » June 3rd, 2009, 8:31 am

Yeah im not sure lol, i just done it where the car was, there and then.

the new cam is in.. it idles fucking awesome, and i haven't given it much yet out on the road but i will! kinda freaking out a bit as i put it all in myself lol..

only took me 4 hours :roll:

Tuned by CVE...!
FOR.0EL
Breaking Traction

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby komprezzor » June 3rd, 2009, 3:57 pm

Few of my hot tips Id like to add. Put the sprocket back onto the camshaft before intalling the rocker gear. That way the cam will be in the right position and you will never be able to bend vavles. Also loosen and tighten the rocker bolts evenly and a bit at a time, its painfully slow unless you have air rachet or speed brace but this is the right way. Also be careful when removing the rocker gear that no lifters drop out down oil drain backs or anywhere thats tough to find them. If they do want to drop out, replace the seals on them while your there so they dont rattle there heads off. And oil the new cam.
komprezzor
Cruising

Postby FordFairmont » June 3rd, 2009, 5:15 pm

travs ea-xr6 wrote:It looks like you got the engine on TDC because the valve springs look like there open free so it must of been on the power stroke.
If you dont have cyl 1 at TDC you will likely smash the valves in cyl 1.

ive read this a few times and still doesnt make sense to me?

you can remove and refit a cam with the motor turned over in any stroke without damaging anything..... as long as the chain hasnt jumped teeth
FordFairmont
Banned

Postby komprezzor » June 3rd, 2009, 5:36 pm

Yes you can, but it best to have it on TDC No.1 and its dead simple to get it lined up. So just line it up first.
komprezzor
Cruising

Postby Rhodseyy » November 17th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Amon wrote:didnt know there were torque specifications for the rocker cover...

There is torque specifications for every single nut and bolt on any car. they are set that way through machines on the production line. how ever not all bolts require to be set to the specific torque setting, only the important ones that make seals etc.
1997 El Xr6, Pacemaker 4499 extractors, stainless steel 100 cell highflow cat, Wade 977b cam @ 112. Hid 8000k globes, fairlane cornering lights, full manual conversion, billit short shifter.
Rhodseyy
Idling

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Postby XR_Lightning » November 19th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Rhodseyy wrote:
Amon wrote:didnt know there were torque specifications for the rocker cover...

There is torque specifications for every single nut and bolt on any car. they are set that way through machines on the production line. how ever not all bolts require to be set to the specific torque setting, only the important ones that make seals etc.

lol, that post is almost 4 years old :P
ED XR6 - T5 - 1521a@112 - 3.9's - 170.2rwkw - POWERED BY METALLICA
XR_Lightning
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1076 times
Been Liked: 487 times

1993 Ford ED Falcon XR6

Postby Rhodseyy » November 20th, 2011, 8:03 am

lol i only just read this :P
1997 El Xr6, Pacemaker 4499 extractors, stainless steel 100 cell highflow cat, Wade 977b cam @ 112. Hid 8000k globes, fairlane cornering lights, full manual conversion, billit short shifter.
Rhodseyy
Idling

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Postby TechXR » November 20th, 2011, 8:41 am

This info should be helpful for me to install my regrind cam, along with my other thread!
TechXR
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 114 times
Been Liked: 121 times

Return to Tutorials