Making Your Rocker Cover Rock

Walk throughs on modifcations

Making Your Rocker Cover Rock

Postby PatrickTT » November 19th, 2012, 11:50 pm

** Originally I wrote this here (http://www.brockfords.com.au/app/webroot/community/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21) but thought it might be handy for people here too. Hopefully so :) **

As with most cars, the rocker cover will look worse for wear after 20 years! However it's not expensive to bring it back to life and it will look great.

When I picked up my Brock Fairlane the rocker cover looked like this:

Taking the cover off just involves undoing the 4 nuts on the top. You will need a new gasket though probably for when you put it back on. You will need to take out the PCV Valve before you do anything else. The valve is pretty easy to get hold of but the grommet (which doesn't come with the valve) is actually discontinued so eBay will be your friend here! (I bought two just to be sure)

Next I had the cover cleaned in a chemical bath - just because I had one available but you don't really need to.

So now you're ready for the fun stuff. Head to your local sand blaster and talk to them nicely :) I paid $30 to have it sand blasted, primed and powder coated.

Now that it looks amazing, time to get some shine! Use a fine flap disc on your angle grinder to get pretty close then grab a block of hard wood (jarrah or the like) and wrap some fairly rough wet and dry around it. Back in the day your cover would have just been put on a big belt sander so the sanding lines would have been going up and down it. So, do the same thing with your block of wood and sand paper.

Finally, you are left with a rocker cover which looks as good as the day it rolled out of the factory!

Total cost: $30
Brock Fairlane #16
www.brockfords.com.au
PatrickTT
Idling

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: Making Your Rocker Cover Rock

Postby 89.SVO » November 20th, 2012, 6:19 am

that looks unreal man. the one on my SVO has been powder coated blue with the lines sanded back. But it is an XH (i think) looks like ED but has the half moon bits in the rocker cover itself, not the gasket
Daily driver: AU2. 5 speed. 19" FG luxos. Full exhaust. Lowered. AU3 XR leather interior, converted to full power windows. 3.45 LSD. AU1 XR kit with classic spoiler. IN THE FUTURE: Tickford 6, maybe boost ;)
Weekend driver: EA SVO - AU motor. Built BTR. TCE 2800 stall. T76 turbo. Locked diff. On E85. approx 320rwkw. 11.5 @ 121mph
89.SVO
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 113 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby ruin41 » November 23rd, 2012, 9:36 pm : PatrickTT Likes this post

When i was younger my brother worked for a paint shop. Chrome covers for his v6 were out of his budget as an apprentice so he did the next best thing. Cleaned them all up and primed and painted them with a sparkly silver paint. Then he stuck on to each one a picture of a naked chick cut out of a pair of matching playboys and proceeded to clear it and sand it until it was smooth and glossy. Total cost was time. Everyone who saw it immediately rubbed their finger over it expecting to feel a sticker and when they felt nothing asked "how did you do that" . Simple cheap and effective.
When you put a turbo on your V8 the boys with the big intercoolers stop telling you how fast their cars are.
ruin41
Idling

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Postby galapogos01 » November 24th, 2012, 9:00 am

$30 to strip, chemically clean, sandblast, prime and powdercoat? I want to meet your powdercoater!!!

Looks good though!
galapogos01
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 302 times
Been Liked: 89 times

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby misk » November 24th, 2012, 1:50 pm

haha no shit, cheap as ****
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby PatrickTT » November 26th, 2012, 12:02 pm

haha well I had it chemically cleaned elsewhere thanks to my dad working somewhere with a chemical bath ;) But yeah the strip/prime/powdercoat was cheap and he actually had to do it twice because he tried sanding the lines into it himself but slipped with the flap disc! Needless to say he left it to me to sand the second time :good:
Brock Fairlane #16
www.brockfords.com.au
PatrickTT
Idling

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Postby obsezd » November 26th, 2012, 1:23 pm

just need some autosol on those stripes then itll look mint

AU XR6 III - D.Corsa Polaris - Ultra Lows All Round -SS Inductions - Pacemaker 4480s - Diffilipo Intake

WTB : LENSO D1R Black with mirror lip or hyper silver!!!!!
obsezd
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby Stig » July 26th, 2014, 10:29 pm

I really need to do mine! Powder coating here I come :grin:
"I'm going to go with my instinct on this one..."
Stig
Idling

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Postby R31 Mark » August 4th, 2014, 11:06 pm

That looks mint mate, great job :thumbsup:
93 ED Falcon 4.0, Pacemaker 4499''s, 2 1/2" Lukey Catback exhaust, XH Snorkel, EA TB to airbox pipe, DIY Shift kit, King Superlows.
R31 Mark
Idling

Has Liked: 49 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Return to Tutorials