Installing a Walbro 255 fuel pump.

Walk throughs on modifcations

Installing a Walbro 255 fuel pump.

Postby Malakai » April 18th, 2008, 4:52 pm

FIRST and FOREMOST: Myself and this site take no responsibility for anything that may happen if you decide to undertake this modification. Here are some tips that will help you if you do decide to go ahead and do it... ------> Take note of everything you do, it's a good idea to have someone else helping you. They might notice something that you have missed and prevent a big problem when you go to re-install everything. Use your common sense and don't die... It will ruin your day!

READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS and the instructions that came with the new pump, COMPLETELY a few times at least BEFORE STARTING!

1, Locate the access cover on the passenger side of the boot floor, unscrew and remove the cover.
2, Disconnect the power wires to the fuel pump. (It's the larger of the two sets of wires and connector)
3, Start the car. It should run for about 1 second until it uses the fuel in the lines. Be sure to turn the key off and remove it completely after this step. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery now too.
4, Pull out the other wiring connector (fuel gauge sender) and undo the clamps holding the fuel lines and remove the lines tucking them away on either side. There should be minimal fuel spillage if you did the previous steps correctly.
5, Unscrew (counter clockwise) the ring holding the fuel pump assembly in the tank. This is always difficult and you can buy tools to make it easier if you like. Otherwise stick to grunting and groaning like most people do.
6, Take out the pump assembly being careful not to drop any tools or debris into the tank. Take the pump assembly well away from the car NOW.
7, Remove the old pump. Any moron should be able to work out how to do this step.

This is what you should have once the pump is removed... (NOTE: this is an EA pump assembly, later models differ slightly)

PLEASE BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THIS PART: Make sure that the whole assembly is dry and not covered in fuel still. You could use a hacksaw to minimise the risk of fire but we used an angle grinder. We had no problems. BUT THIS IS WHY IT'S IMPERATIVE THAT YOU MOVE AWAY FROM THE OPEN FUEL TANK TO DO THESE STEPS!

8, You need to cut these parts off the pump assembly...

The two little bits are what the screw goes into on one side of the clamp that held the factory pump in place and the other bit is the hook that the other side of the said clamp hooks onto. It's pretty obvious where the largest part came from...

9, Take a hose clamp the same size as the ones used on your top radiator hose and clamp the new pump in place. Use the stock rubber insulator (trim as necessary) around the new pump. Use the fixed part of the stock clamp that is still attached to the assembly to put the hose clamp around. Secure everything firmly by tightening the screw on the hose clamp.

You should be left with it looking like this:

10, You will need to crimp a new spade terminal on the end of one of the wires. Red is positive and white is negative, the terminals on the pump are clearly marked too. The stock pump has one large and one small spade connector the new pump doesn't. Make sure you crimp it properly using a proper crimper. I imagine if you make a bad connection it won't just result in the pump not working but a spark being created and your car blowing up!

11, Install a new piece of proper EFI fuel line between the new pump and the feed line on the housing. DON'T REUSE THE OLD PIECE! Install the pickup filter that came with the new pump to the pickup on the bottom of the new pump.

12, Double check everything. Take your time doing this! You don't want to rush anything and have to do something over again or worse still cause your car to explode.

13, Re-install the pump assembly. Remembering how everything went before you removed it. Double checking everything as you go... No mistakes remember!

14, Connect the negative battery terminal back onto the battery. Turn the key on and you should hear the pump prime. Turn the key off again and wait 30 seconds. Turn the key on again and listen for the pump to prime. the pressure should be up in the lines now and you can start the car. It might take a few more cranks than usual until the fuel gets to the engine properly but this will only happen once if you have done everything right.

15, Enjoy!

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you're unsure about something definitely ask. If I've missed anything tell me and I will amend the tutorial.

Discuss...

Cheers,
Brett

A big thanks to Kelvin (aka turbodrift) for doing most of the work with this on my car last weekend. We're a team, I tell him what to cut and he cuts it. He tries to be funny and I pretend to laugh. Go team!
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Installing a Walbro 255 fuel pump.

Postby ebv8 » April 21st, 2008, 1:33 pm

just make sure you mount it low enough as the walbro is much shorter than the stock pump
i found my car ran out of fuel at 1/4 tank so i had to re mount it as low as posssible.
i used the stock clamp and should have used a hose clamp just like the pic...other than that is very easy to do if you can get the old pump out without braking the plastic screw ring
AU XR6 5sp Stock as a rock 0-100km 7.44sec.
ebv8
Idling

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby Malakai » April 21st, 2008, 2:21 pm

Yeah we were careful to get the bottom of the new pump flush with where the bottom of the old pump sat.
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby cthawes » May 7th, 2008, 7:57 pm

where's the pick up strainer brett ??????
cthawes
Idling

Postby Malakai » May 7th, 2008, 8:01 pm

It's on there, I just didn't take a picture of it after it was put on.
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby LUXO_8 » May 7th, 2008, 8:21 pm

exactly how i did mine too..... except i used a thicker rubber sleve and the original clamp
Parfrey wrote:I strongly urge everyone to boost everything haha.
LUXO_8
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1004 times
Been Liked: 132 times

1991 Ford Fairlane

Postby stav » May 12th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Guys..also be aware the using normal fuel hose to connect the pump will break apart and swell up.Be sure to get submersible fuel line which is fine wehn submersed in fuel.Normal fuel line wrecks.
stav
Idling

Postby Malakai » May 12th, 2008, 11:21 pm

Yes you are right I have seen some nasty looking and spectacularly failed fuel hose between the pump and housing.
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby wicksy » April 7th, 2009, 4:39 pm

sweet, i got to change the fuel pump in the ghia, and this will come in handy even if i am just putting a standard one back in, thanks malaki :drinks2:
wicksy
Full Boost

Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 55 times

Postby Malakai » April 7th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Since making this thread my car made 362rwhp (270rwkw) with just this Walbro 255 pump, Sard fuel regulator and Bosch 45lb injectors in three batches of two. These pumps certainly are and should be the first step in upgrading the fuel system on a Falcon and a lot of other cars. My injectors are almost at their safe full working load so to go any further I will need to add a Bosch 044 pump and some bigger injectors. Anyway this thread should give you an idea of what a simple upgraded fuel system can consist of.
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby Rollin » April 7th, 2009, 8:06 pm

270 is a very good number, well done :)

I just noticed this thread now. It is possible to fit the 255 without cutting off the bottom of the pump, when I fitted mine I just enlarged the hole in the bottom of my sender assembly using a die grinder, which probably not many people will have access to. Just another variation on the theme....

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby wicksy » April 19th, 2009, 1:29 pm

whats the best way to get the stupid fucking cap off, i gotta vaccuum the dirt out from around the cap in mine first, tried grunting and that didnt work
wicksy
Full Boost

Postby Rollin » April 19th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Struggle like a bastard seems to be the only way...

If you can get a spanner onto the hose clamp loosen it a little then lever it off with a flat blade screw driver.

Use a large flat blade as a punch and hammer the black cap anticlockwise so it comes off - it's better to tap it in many places around the edge than to just try and hammer it off from the one place...it's a bit hard to describe.

Wipe everything off, and coat the o-ring and threads on the tank+cap with vaseline and refit in the same manner.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Malakai » April 19th, 2009, 8:33 pm

You can also get the proper tool for it from Autobarn and similar stores. But that doesn't help get the ring clamp off, it only grabs the ring properly so that you can put a socket on the tool and turn the ring easily without breaking it. It's a pretty handy tool to have and only costs $40 or so.
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby wicksy » April 19th, 2009, 9:59 pm

i pryed the ring clamp off, haha, it was rusted out big time, i got it off with a screwdriver, lol, had to vaccuum the dirt around the edges before i done anything
wicksy
Full Boost

Postby BLC » April 20th, 2009, 7:06 am

I made a bracket thingy this weekend, added a little handle so I could use a breaker bar. Didn't realise how hard that thing would be to get off!

I also had a big hose clamp around the side of the ring lock thing.. that held me up for a while too.
BLC
Cruising

Been Liked: 1 time

Postby wicksy » April 20th, 2009, 4:01 pm

got it all in thanks guys, was pretty easy, but it still didnt solve the problem, ahh well i gots a new fuel pump anyways.
wicksy
Full Boost

Postby holmsy » April 25th, 2009, 1:14 pm

i was lucky the hose clamp around it came off easy.
i had made up the tool in half hour at work one day so the ring came off easy.
only problem i had was the line out of the top was a **** to get off. and i still havent got it back on
its fair screwed up now.

also i was putting a bosch 040 fuel pump in.
it is huge compared to the stock pump.
Project: SLOXR8: 1994 EF XR8, mech shift kit, 3500 histall, Lokka, 36lb injectors, AU 185 motor, Cranecam 444225, crane roller rockers, crow valve springs, Pacies, 3" exhaust, hiflo cats. twin 044's, vortech v2,microtech tuned by daltons (290.3rwkw @11psi) at DALTONS
holmsy
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 182 times
Been Liked: 154 times

1994 Ford XR8

Postby BLC » April 30th, 2009, 8:19 am

I might have to change the fuel line I used, didn't occur to me to use submersible fuel hose. Didn't realise there was a difference to be honest.

Oh well, at least it's easier to remove now that I've got that tool.
BLC
Cruising

Postby LUXO_8 » April 30th, 2009, 9:18 am

BLC wrote:I made a bracket thingy this weekend, added a little handle so I could use a breaker bar. Didn't realise how hard that thing would be to get off!

I also had a big hose clamp around the side of the ring lock thing.. that held me up for a while too.

Just saw this. If you didn't realise they all have the big worm clamp on them. It's not just your car
Parfrey wrote:I strongly urge everyone to boost everything haha.
LUXO_8
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1004 times
Been Liked: 132 times

1991 Ford Fairlane

Postby BLC » April 30th, 2009, 10:04 am

LUXO_8 wrote:
BLC wrote:I made a bracket thingy this weekend, added a little handle so I could use a breaker bar. Didn't realise how hard that thing would be to get off!

Just saw this. If you didn't realise they all have the big worm clamp on them. It's not just your car

It was an absolute BASTARD to remove.... couldn't get a ring spanner or socket in there, had to bend a screwdriver 90 degrees and twist the head so I could get to it.
BLC
Cruising

Postby james88 » May 28th, 2009, 4:32 pm

thanks for the right up fellas im puttin on in my ef turbo next week
james88
Cruising

Postby brockefxr6 » May 28th, 2009, 7:55 pm

where abouts did you guys purchurse your Walbro 255 fuel pumps from ?
brockefxr6
Idling

Postby james88 » May 28th, 2009, 11:20 pm

I got mine from ebay. A shop on there called online performance... pretty cheap and now I know how t install it
james88
Cruising

Postby Rollin » May 28th, 2009, 11:43 pm

Egay. I think the seller I got mine from is "tuffcarparts" or something like that. Seems to be genuine walbro and have had no probs in 2 years :)

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby james88 » May 29th, 2009, 12:12 pm

yeah mine has wlabro stamped on it deos yours rollin.
p.s love the sliding vids in the drift secton there wicked
james88
Cruising

Postby Malakai » May 29th, 2009, 6:47 pm

I have a fake one in one of my part boxes somewhere, I got it off someone on AFF. It has Walbro on it and even the Walbro logo but not a Walbro part number. The genuine one (in the pictures above) that I bought from Extreme Performance at Northgate only has the Walbro part number on it, no logo or the word Walbro anywhere.

Go figure...

I figured it was best to buy from a reputable retail store rather than on EBAY since I had already bought a knock-off one without knowing any better.

How much do they go for on EBAY?
Malakai
Double Clutching

Postby brockefxr6 » May 29th, 2009, 9:40 pm

i havent been able to find much of them on ebay but the ones ive found have been about the 150 to 200 mark
brockefxr6
Idling

Postby Stig » May 17th, 2012, 8:12 pm

stupid question i know, but will the pump suit a pretty much standard vehicle?
"I'm going to go with my instinct on this one..."
Stig
Idling

Has Liked: 2 times

Postby Rollin » May 17th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Yep.

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Pub247 » March 21st, 2013, 8:51 pm

Can someone tell me where to get some submersible fuel hose from? in melbourne

I went to bursons, speed pro, norden's and repco and no **** had any
Pub247
Cruising

Has Liked: 99 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Postby apoc » March 22nd, 2013, 7:38 am

Pirtek?
TuffCarParts might be able to get some.
1974 XB GT here, 1975 XB GT, 1972 XA GT, 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, 1946 Jailbar, 1983 XE GL, KTM 200EXC, XT500SM & various wrecks
EB Falcon, AU2 XR8, AU3 XR6 here
1992 Nissan Patrol - 2" lift, 33s, TB42e, LPG here
2014 FG GT 335 - Silhouette, ZF here
apoc
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 100 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby Sloxr6 » March 22nd, 2013, 7:57 am

I would have thought 45lb injectors would flow a bit more than 270rwkw
F6 6 Speed Manual Ba Wagon. 320rwkw
Sloxr6
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Postby private9 » March 22nd, 2013, 12:47 pm

Pub247 wrote:Can someone tell me where to get some submersible fuel hose from? in melbourne

We always have it on the shelf, PM for further info.
private9
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 185 times

Postby Mr. CVE » March 22nd, 2013, 4:03 pm

Sloxr6 wrote:I would have thought 45lb injectors would flow a bit more than 270rwkw

They do, with a suitable fuel system,

but many people take shortcuts, so the fuel system doesn't supply enough for the injectors.
CVE Performance, Now tuning E Series ecus !!
http://www.cveperformance.com
Mr. CVE
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 49 times
Been Liked: 188 times

Postby Pub247 » March 22nd, 2013, 4:15 pm

Nightmare getting this submersible hose, i've been told that gates hasnt had stock in 6 months. So i got mackay submersible hose. Only problem is they dont recommend it for EFI application as it hasnt been tested.

Turns out Bursons and their supplier (precision auto parts???) have been passing it off as EFI rated for years ( thats what i was told in frankston bursons) and havent had complaints. Any $33 a 500mm it bloody want to work i'm using it anyway as i need my car going again.

I'll keep this updated if i hae any issue with hose also if anyone wants to buy some cheap i seel some leftover spare i should only need 70mm or so
Pub247
Cruising

Postby Pub247 » March 22nd, 2013, 4:18 pm

private9 wrote:
Pub247 wrote:Can someone tell me where to get some submersible fuel hose from? in melbourne

We always have it on the shelf, PM for further info.

Thanks mate i would but i needed it today as i dont car running as fuel pump died (i already bought it before you posted). So i was only able to use local retail if i had the time to get it from you i would have
Pub247
Cruising

Postby Rollin » March 22nd, 2013, 9:52 pm

I have some stuff in the garage, no idea if it's supposed to be submersible but I put it in the tank back in like 2007 or so and it's still good now.

Will try remember to have a look what it is tomorrow and post, in case it helps someone.

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Return to Tutorials