HOW TO GUIDE: Basic oil change.

Walk throughs on modifcations

HOW TO GUIDE: Basic oil change.

Postby Commando » October 6th, 2008, 6:47 pm

I figured I'd throw this thread up for the newer users. A few years ago I wouldn't have been game enough to do it myself, and after doing it for the first time in aaaaaaages this weekend just gone I figured I'd make a thread. Plus I've got **** all to do tonight.

Firstly, you will need the following:

* Socket set (including extension arm)
* Oil pan
* Oil filter wrench (see pic below)
* Z9 oil filter (just ask for a filter to suit your EA-EL six/V8)
* Oil (5L for V8, 5.5L for the six).
* Jack (scissor or trolley, doesn't matter)
* Axle stands (for piece of mind, I wouldn't want to get under a car held up solely by a jack)

^^^ Typical oil filter wrench found on ebay for <$20 + postage ^^^

What oil you decide upon depends on what your budget, what kind of motor you've got (high-km slapper or freshly rebuilt performance motor), or whatever you're happy with putting in your falcon. In my case for my EF (high-km slapper), I bought a 6L cheap-ish bottle of 20w/50 mineral oil. Same deal with filters, I got a cheap Ryco filter.

Heavier oil (15w/40 up to 25w/60) will suit older engines that are stock-ish and may experience lifter ticking, blowby, or are simply used as a daily. If you're running 15w/40 oil and your lifters are ticking, you may find that replacing with 20w/50 or heavier will get rid of the ticking.

Ligher oil (say, 5w/30 to 15w/40) suits freshly-built tight-tolerance performance motors, the lighter weight allows for smoother & higher revving (or more time spent in the higher rpm range).

Synthetic oil is better,particularly if you have a performance motor but you pay a price for it. Also, you can get away with longer periods between oil changes (although this isn't recommended :P)

Anyway enough about oils. On with the oil change!

1)
Firstly, ALLOW YOUR ENGINE TO COOL DOWN BEFORE STARTING. The last thing you want to do is burn your fingers or get hot oil on your face/arm/etc.

2)
Jack car up from the front (with trolley jack, on k-frame) or the jacking points on the sides (scissor jack) and place axle stands under the chassis rails close to the front.

3)
Place oil pan under sump, undo sump plug. This nut requires a 19mm socket. Lefty-loosey righty-tighty applies here ;) Gingerly undo by hand once it's loose, you don't want to drop it into the pan (along with the old oil). Oil will weep out *just* before the plug is completely out. Allow oil to drain for a few minutes.

4)
If you poke your head under the car in front of the passenger wheel, you'll see your oil filter through a hole/gap in the chassis, above the k-frame. (If you look from above, it's under the front of your intake manifold). Fit your oil filter wrench to your extension arm, fit that to your ratchet, and slip over the filter from through this hole/gap. Once you start to undo/turn the ratchet+wrench, the wrench will self-tighten around the filter. Remember lefty-loosey righty-tighty.

5)
With your new oil filter, dip your finger into your new oil a few times and apply oil around the edge of the oil filter. This is so it will seal properly when screwed back on. Redo by hand until it seals, and then tighten it up a bit past that point. It doesn't need to be on uber tight. Also, it might take several tries to get it to screw in at first.

6)
Screw sump-plug back in by hand until finger tight, and then with the 19mm socket + ratchet continue until tight (should hardly turn much after finger-tight anyway). Don't go crazy here with brute force or you might cross-thread (or round) the plug.

7)
Remove oil pan & other stuff (old filter, etc) from under car, lower back to ground. Fill with oil through the oil cap on the rocker cover. Remember 5.5L for the sixes, 5L for the V8.

8)
Start car, let it idle for a bit, check underneath for any leaks (if you're unsure about your sump plug or oil filter). Assuming everything's OK, you're right to go!

9)
Use old oil for skids in your residential street, nearby schoolzone, for for laughs at the nearest busy intersection.

Now, assuming you've already got a jack, stands, something to drain the oil into (ie a pan), etc, you could do an oil change on your car for <$30 (cost of cheap oil and filter). If you go for high-performance products (ie decent oil filter + synthetic oil) you may be spending up to $100. If my car wasn't a beater & had a decent engine, I'd probably put semi-synthetic oil in it as a minimum. The "extra" cost of semi/full synthetic oil (and a performance filter) is definitely worth the potential tens of thousands of extra kms (and better performance) you can get out of your motor by looking after it properly.

Excluding waiting for the engine to cool, this should take 15-20 mins tops from scratch, with 1/2 of that time being draining/filling the oil :) It's one of the easiest things you can do and will save you up to $100+ for a basic oil change if compared to taking your car to a mechanic.
Last edited by Commando on October 6th, 2008, 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: corrections...
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Re: HOW TO GUIDE: Basic oil change.

Postby Gozza » October 6th, 2008, 6:51 pm

do you have a guide for an advanced oil change?
Its a stack of f*ck shit, on top of itself niggaaaaaa
Gozza
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby Commando » October 6th, 2008, 6:55 pm

You'd have to PM Gerendasi for that. It involves the sump gasket.
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Commando

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby Damo » October 6th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Windsor takes 5 liters not 6 :| . Hands make a good oil filter wrench also. Cheers
Damo
Full Boost

Has Liked: 0 time

Postby Commando » October 6th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Whoops! :oops:

Hands are good if you've got brute strength :P I don't...
Commando

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby TriymeD » October 6th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Hands do a good job but I remember reading here that someone couldn't turn theirs using a screwdriver through oil filter!

Done it a coupla times myself! But a wrench is as handy as spring compressors are handy when you change the shocks as I found out! Doh! :shock:
1964 Wolseley 24/80 (classic)
1976 Honda Civic 4 Door X 2(green and orange)
1985 Nissan Pulsar ET Turbo (ace fun car)
1993 Fairmont ED Ghia w 98 EL engine and tranny on GAS. (not sad to see it go)
2004 Falcon XR6 Mk II. Fo-shizzle!
TriymeD
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » October 6th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Nice writeup Dave!, oil change was the first thing I did to my car and first hands on thing i did myself when I bought it, though I didnt know about the oil filter till after, from memory i used Castrol GTX3 15w-40 Viscosity. Though after hanging around here and Kev, ive learnt that Penrite is THE shit for these cars. So when I get my baby back I might do another oil change and actually replace the filter.
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
302 Windsor, AU XR8 MAF, Exhaust, Sunroof, Slammed on Pedders, DL LTD Rims, FBT Steering Wheel, EL XR8 3.45LSD
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Phantom Black, Black Chrome Group, Radar Red Leather, Dual Panoramic Sunroof, Mopar CAI. Mopar Front Strut Brace
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

Been Liked: 7 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby TriymeD » October 6th, 2008, 7:10 pm

LOL same ere with Kev and penrite!
1964 Wolseley 24/80 (classic)
1976 Honda Civic 4 Door X 2(green and orange)
1985 Nissan Pulsar ET Turbo (ace fun car)
1993 Fairmont ED Ghia w 98 EL engine and tranny on GAS. (not sad to see it go)
2004 Falcon XR6 Mk II. Fo-shizzle!
TriymeD
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 2 times

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » October 6th, 2008, 7:19 pm

im still puzzled on how this wrench works
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
302 Windsor, AU XR8 MAF, Exhaust, Sunroof, Slammed on Pedders, DL LTD Rims, FBT Steering Wheel, EL XR8 3.45LSD
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Phantom Black, Black Chrome Group, Radar Red Leather, Dual Panoramic Sunroof, Mopar CAI. Mopar Front Strut Brace
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

Been Liked: 7 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Commando » October 6th, 2008, 7:26 pm

When the nut on the top of it turns (you either stick the square end of the extension arm straight into it, or a socket onto the extension arm onto the nut, depending on the wrench you get), the nut turns and has a cog underneath. This cog meshes with a cog on each of the wrench arms, and rotates them all inwards until it clamps tight on the filter.

Then you just continue to turn to undo the filter. Same principle applies for doing up the filter, the wrench arms will just rotate in the opposite direction until the filter is gripped tightly again.

*EDIT* here's a good pic that shows how it works. The nut on top rotates, in turn rotating the legs as mentioned above.

Commando

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby Rollin » October 6th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Holy shit batman - oil filters don't need to be that tight! Just by hand is more than enough - as it says on the side, do it up till the seal touches, then go another 3/4 of a turn or so, any more than that and you will near need a rattle gun to get it off!

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby holmsy » October 6th, 2008, 7:49 pm

yeh as rollin said. hand tight is more then enough.
also the oil on the seal is important as it helps when ya have to get the thing off again.

the filter on the xr8 i could not get off. ended up demolishing it with a screw driver. not fun.
Project: SLOXR8: 1994 EF XR8, mech shift kit, 3500 histall, Lokka, 36lb injectors, AU 185 motor, Cranecam 444225, crane roller rockers, crow valve springs, Pacies, 3" exhaust, hiflo cats. twin 044's, vortech v2,microtech tuned by daltons (290.3rwkw @11psi) at DALTONS
holmsy
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 182 times
Been Liked: 154 times

1994 Ford XR8

Postby Commando » October 6th, 2008, 8:03 pm

I didn't do mine up farken tight-tight, maybe I explained it poorly. 3/4 of a turn was probably as far as I went after it began to tighten up when doing by hand.

Commando doesn't torque shit up man-style. Just ask spope when it came to various nuts & bolts on the EB :P

"have you done it up?"
"yeah"
(starts car, something leaks or rattles)
"... no"

EDIT fark, I didn't write that bit up too well in the first post! Post changed...
Commando

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby nommic » October 6th, 2008, 9:15 pm

LOL Dave I just remembered that you definitely don't tighten shit up. I distinctly remember at least one shock being a bit loose after changing the springs on my car :P

(still owe you and holmsy for helping me out that time though)
wet towels
nommic
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 2 times

Postby holmsy » October 7th, 2008, 2:53 pm

haha i remember that.
i said have you done it up extremely tight "yeh yeh its tight"
next day nommic says the shock is rattling. its loose. hey its the corner dave did.
Project: SLOXR8: 1994 EF XR8, mech shift kit, 3500 histall, Lokka, 36lb injectors, AU 185 motor, Cranecam 444225, crane roller rockers, crow valve springs, Pacies, 3" exhaust, hiflo cats. twin 044's, vortech v2,microtech tuned by daltons (290.3rwkw @11psi) at DALTONS
holmsy
Shooting Flames

1994 Ford XR8

Postby Allen » October 8th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Decent write up Dave, I would do some things a little differently though.

- When putting a thin film of oil on the filter's rubber seal, you should fill the filter up at least halfway with fresh oil. This helps getting filtered oil to your valve train faster on initial start up. Doing this can be messy when installing the filter as oil can be poured out if you put too much in.
- After filling the engine with fresh oil, give it time to drain into the sump. This is more important with heavier oils as it takes a little longer to drain down, esspecially because it is cold.
- Before starting the engine, it doesn't hurt to pull the coil plug off and crank the engine over to build pressure before running.

I still think they should manufacture oil filters with a 19mm hex nut welded on the bottom so you can just use a ratchet and socket to get the stupidly tight ones off...
1994 ED Ghia - 4.0 - T5 - Lowered - Full Exhaust - 17" ROH RT's
Allen
Cruising

Been Liked: 1 time

1994 Ford Piece Of Shit

Postby Commando » October 8th, 2008, 1:10 pm

I only did your 2nd one listed there :P

As for filters with a hex nut welded on the end, LUXO_8 showed me some filters on ebay with nuts on them, can't remember what brand though (Pennzoil? Penrite?). Anyway they're available out there, I don't see why they couldn't be had through Repco/Bursons/etc :)
Commando

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby krisisdog » October 8th, 2008, 2:02 pm

So why do you need to jack the car up?
You can also get other types of oil filter wrenches that have the band, they work pretty well too

Also its a good idea to check your oil level again after step 8.

edit - add missing sentence lol
Last edited by krisisdog on October 8th, 2008, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>> EF Futura Turbo <<<
Now rolling in a tuned turbo Forester as a daily
krisisdog
Breaking Intake Welds

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 56 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby Commando » October 8th, 2008, 2:13 pm

So I could reach the sump plug and the oil filter far easier. I figured jacking it up gave me much more room to work with...

I realise you can reach the filter from above (with BBM) but you don't have much room.
Commando

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby AaronEF8 » October 8th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Fram sell oil filters with a non-slip bitumen type coating on the end of the filter so you can get a good handgrip on it when your hands are coated in oil, I generally use them and have never had a problem taking them off.

Is this where I try to pick at tiny things in the opening post just for the sake of enlarging my e-penis?

Buy Penrite, it's Australian owned and made.
Commando wrote:seriously, this thread is now a complete cyber skip bin filled with all kinds of waste from the internet...
AaronEF8
Full Boost

Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 245 times

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby krisisdog » October 8th, 2008, 2:49 pm

I get to my filter from underneath the car, same with sump plug, and my car sits on superlows. I also turn full lock to the left which gives me a bit more room to get to the filter.
Might not work if your a big bloke with massive arms tho.....
>>> EF Futura Turbo <<<
Now rolling in a tuned turbo Forester as a daily
krisisdog
Breaking Intake Welds

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 56 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby Frost » October 8th, 2008, 5:29 pm

krisisdog wrote:I get to my filter from underneath the car, same with sump plug, and my car sits on superlows. I also turn full lock to the left which gives me a bit more room to get to the filter.
Might not work if your a big bloke with massive arms tho.....

I do the same works all the time
Frost
Full Boost

Has Liked: 4 times

Postby bentls » October 8th, 2008, 7:26 pm

the good thing about a ba if you are incredibly lazy (not unlike myself) the oil can be changed without getting under the car!

remove airbox, and u can get to the filter and the sump plug :D

Commando wrote:Excluding waiting for the engine to cool, this should take 15-20 mins tops from scratch, with 1/2 of that time being draining/filling the oil.

lol if i took 20mins to drain oil and top up i think my boss would fire my ass....
94 soarer
01 senator signature 5.7
96 k11 micra
bentls
Full Boost

Has Liked: 277 times
Been Liked: 158 times

Postby Commando » October 8th, 2008, 8:11 pm

:roll: It was a conservative figure. Also half of that 15-20 minute timeframe is 7.5-10 minutes. Depending on the viscosity, the oil will drain at a set (slow) rate, and unless you're a douche and fire up the engine to "hurry things up", all you can really do it sit and wait. I went back inside & grabbed a beer, rather than watch the oil drain.

Also it took me a couple of minutes to get the new filter on, friggen thing kept on missing the thread. So I figured first-timers, or those who don't do it often (ie me) won't exactly fly through this in record time.

Aaaaaaand, that timeframe included optional farking around with jacking up the car/putting it on stands. Using a scissor jack.

So it seems reasonable to me :)

OK it seems the following parts of my opening post haven't been scrutinised yet:

* Stating a "SOCKET SET" rather than just the 19" is needed. Also not stating 3/8" or 1/2" drive, etc etc
* Not listing open end or ring spanners as alternatives for the 19" socket on the sump nut
* Not stating specific torque requirements for the sump plug, oil filter, or even the seven-ten cap on the rocker cover as recommended by the relevant Workshop Manual
* Not including an (optional) funnel in the list of things needed (for easier filling)...
Commando

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby holmsy » October 8th, 2008, 8:37 pm

beacause if you didnt realise you could use a spanner instead of socket you shouldnt have bothered jacking up your car.
and torque requirements for sump bolts is over rated. and harden the **** up

PS I love penfifteen
holmsy
Shooting Flames

1994 Ford XR8

Postby pantic » October 8th, 2008, 8:52 pm

umms you sure there 5.5 litres?? i've used 5 litres for the pass 4 years.. 500ml in the filter 4.5 in the motor and run it and drive check it in the morning its right on full? unless you got a high enegry sump or maybe something esle is using oil but i swear a standard ea-el uses 5
Daily ED Futura: Lowered, Typhoons, Zorst, Au Motor, Manual, Fairmont Interior
Falcon Turbo EB: got the car w00t w00t :P
Pantic Motors: any repairs, feel free to pm me
pantic
Cruising

Postby nommic » October 8th, 2008, 9:06 pm

5.5L and 5L are within 10% tolerance, that's probably the tightest spec you're gonna find on an e-series motor.

100% of the oil isn't going to come out anyway. It won't be bone-dry in there.
wet towels
nommic
Spooling Up

Postby pantic » October 8th, 2008, 9:10 pm

cheers for clearing that up. just never heard of it being 5.5 thats all :P
Daily ED Futura: Lowered, Typhoons, Zorst, Au Motor, Manual, Fairmont Interior
Falcon Turbo EB: got the car w00t w00t :P
Pantic Motors: any repairs, feel free to pm me
pantic
Cruising

Postby nommic » October 8th, 2008, 9:19 pm

Haha I don't think I cleared anything up. I just take a look at how much I've taken out, put the same-ish amount in and check the dipstick a couple of times for topping up. This is all common-sense though...
wet towels
nommic
Spooling Up

Postby holmsy » October 8th, 2008, 9:30 pm

max elery manual for ef/el says
6cyl including filter...... 5.5 litres
8cyl including filter......5 litres
holmsy
Shooting Flames

1994 Ford XR8

Postby Allen » October 9th, 2008, 8:18 am

Commando wrote: * Stating a "SOCKET SET" rather than just the 19" is needed.

Geez Dave, a 19 inch socket? You must have some pretty big nuts to do up.... :shock:
1994 ED Ghia - 4.0 - T5 - Lowered - Full Exhaust - 17" ROH RT's
Allen
Cruising

Been Liked: 1 time

1994 Ford Piece Of Shit

Postby thebeast. » October 9th, 2008, 10:17 am

thanks dude, i was thinking about doinbg mine soon anyways. now i can get to know the car a bit better and save some money
thebeast.
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 13 times

1997 Ford EL

Postby wolf » October 9th, 2008, 11:58 am

well being as i just done mine i thought i better show the results of what happens when a fuckhead has no idea on how tight to make the oilfilter.

What should have been a half hour job turned into 3 hours... :evil: :twisted:

proud member of the EBGT302/BLCKED fanclub
wolf
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 4 times

Postby thebeast. » October 9th, 2008, 3:37 pm

nice job lol who did that, its well and truely rooted
thebeast.
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 6 times