No XR Ghia and no boost make Hussy something something
superhuS!
Full Boost

Has Liked: 102 times
Been Liked: 312 times

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Re: KWIKXR's EF Fairmont

Postby SLO247 » June 25th, 2012, 4:50 pm

I sold it lol. Been playing with an XF. No idea how long for haha!
SLO247
Cruising

Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Postby kwikxr » June 25th, 2012, 5:25 pm

superhuS! wrote:Mint times 11ty.

No way near as mint as your's hus, still so farking jelly of that paint job :D

SLO247 wrote:I sold it lol. Been playing with an XF. No idea how long for haha!

XF, nice! Jeez, that's a bit of a change from all those E's you owned haha. Is it an 8?
Fun hack / Project - '95 EF Fairmont Turbo Link
Daily hack / Cruiser - '97 EL Fairmont Ghia Link
kwikxr
Cruising

Has Liked: 90 times
Been Liked: 45 times

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » June 30th, 2012, 11:19 am

A photo a mate got of the Fairmont at one of our meet up's (another Ford based forum). Love how it looks pretty fat and flat in this one haha.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » July 1st, 2012, 10:21 am

Well the Fairmont is pretty full with NU Fairlane black leather interior, literally! Hehehe..

Went down to Pick a Part yesterday arvo before closing to check out a 2003 Falcon, which was actually a NU 'Lane :lol:. Good for me though, was pretty much untouched and had full black leather interior!!

Was a taxi, so leather was in rather good nick. Luckily, went back this morning, took front and rear seats out. Unluckily, all the wheel barrows were all gone (only have 2 in the entire fucking yard :evil: ) and the counter where you pay for your goods is a nice 100+ metre walk from where the Ford section is, so had to make 2 trips back and forth (carried both front seats and tools in one trip, then carried all of the rear seat and tools in the 2nd, what a fucking mission when you're on your own!)

Managed to get it to the rear seat to the counter and what-a-ya-know, the wheel barrows are back for use :evil:

All good though, will put the front seats in by bolting the back and base to the EF rails (luckily you can do that with AU and EF/EL seats instead of modding rails etc) and work out what needs to be done to fit the rear seats. Being LWB and all, the side bolsters are huge compared to the EF ones and not sure if the 60/40 seat backs and base are a straight fit, but they are going in regardless, so it they aren't a straight fit.... I'll just have to make them fit :lol:

Everything needs a good clean, has a few splashes of mud hear and there probably from when it rained on Friday, but it'll clean up nice. Other than that, they are in pretty good nick! Not one rip in any part of the leather either which is great, and the rear seat centre fold out has cup holders! 8-)

Not bad for a $63 score in total, thank you Pick a Part you GC's :thumbsup:
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby dannysebxr6 » July 1st, 2012, 11:11 am

nice pick up mate.
seats look awesome especially for pick a part!.
good luck making them fit, ive heard its a bit fiddly but im sure youll get there.
will look awesome in your ef!

cheers
Daniel
dannysebxr6
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 12 times

Postby kwikxr » July 1st, 2012, 7:08 pm

Cheers mate, couldn't believe my luck when I saw them there Saturday arvo, left, came back the next morning and they were still there untouched :shock:. Guess it was meant to be or some shit :lol:

Anyways, front seats are swapped over :grin:. They are nice and comfy, much better than my Fairmont seats and don't have broken, fucked up, seat base mounts, so no excessive movement. Pretty straight forward really, was just a case of removing the Fairlane bases and backs from their rails and frame, and bolting them onto the EF rails and frame, then back into the car.

Have just cleaned them up with Meguiars Trim Cleaner to remove any dirt and grime on the leather and also remove whatever product has been used previously. Will leave it till sometime during the week before I apply some decent leather conditioner to revive the leather to a better state.

Haven't looked at the rear seats yet, but will probably do that during the week sometime after work. Will update again once they are in :D
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby SnipeZ » July 1st, 2012, 7:54 pm

Looks great. Ties in the whole interior imo
1998 EL XR6 - Stolen
1997 EL Fairmont V8 - Current
5.0 V8
Full Leather
EL GT Headers
2"1/2 Twin System
FPV Dark Argent
Full Tickford Lip Kit
Low :)
Soon To Be Manual
SnipeZ
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 235 times
Been Liked: 170 times

Postby kwikxr » July 1st, 2012, 8:49 pm

Thanks SnipeZ, finally the only part of the interior letting things down has been changed haha. Pretty happy with the look, like you said, it ties in well with the rest of the black/cappa theme.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby superhuS! » July 4th, 2012, 7:18 pm

You've done everything I want to do with my interior :( So jelly!

I've looked into the rear seats before. IIRC the only thing that needs to be modded is the bolt where the seats clip into on the side bolster thingy's needs to be lowered.
EL XR6
Koni - Lovell's SSL - Camtech 845 - Headwork - 3.9 LSD - Tickford Kit - Sunroof

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
superhuS!
Full Boost

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby URZ2NV » July 4th, 2012, 8:10 pm

I did the AU seats once, if you can grab the back seat latch out of the AU (its only 1 bolts and a weld i think) and mount it to the car as the bolsters clip in differently to the EF/EL's, also the bottom seat uses a different clip in design, now you can get the little clips from the AU but you will have to cut the holes in you floor pan to use them or you can grab a stuffed EF/EL bottom seat and rip all the metal wire out of it and attach it to the AU seat, I spotted that on another forum (maybe fordmods?) that someone had pulled the inner wire from a EF/EL bottom seat and attached it to the AU seat so it could clip into the original EF/EL bracket.
URZ2NV
Idling

Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby kwikxr » July 4th, 2012, 9:46 pm

superhuS! wrote:You've done everything I want to do with my interior :( So jelly!

I've looked into the rear seats before. IIRC the only thing that needs to be modded is the bolt where the seats clip into on the side bolster thingy's needs to be lowered.

Haha, your's is mint as is with the Ghia interior man! Black leather would just add even more sex appeal to an already sexy car :D

I had a quick look the other night and looks like a few small things will need to be done to fit the rear seat in. The side bolster's and bottom of the rear seat are going to be the trickiest, but should be able to sort that out this weekend.

URZ2NV wrote:I did the AU seats once, if you can grab the back seat latch out of the AU (its only 1 bolts and a weld i think) and mount it to the car as the bolsters clip in differently to the EF/EL's, also the bottom seat uses a different clip in design, now you can get the little clips from the AU but you will have to cut the holes in you floor pan to use them or you can grab a stuffed EF/EL bottom seat and rip all the metal wire out of it and attach it to the AU seat, I spotted that on another forum (maybe fordmods?) that someone had pulled the inner wire from a EF/EL bottom seat and attached it to the AU seat so it could clip into the original EF/EL bracket.

Luckily, I grabbed those bolster brackets too :D. That seems easy enough, the main problem I think I'll have is using the Fairlane bolsters; being LWB, they are massive compared to the usual AU's. Have grabbed a pair of side bolsters out of an AU Falcon, so might try remove the leather from the Fairlane ones, fit them to the normal AU ones, and bolt those in instead. Also grabbed those 2 plastic clips the seat bottom clips into just in case. I'll probably just cut into the floorpan and fit them in order to use the Fairlane bottom. Was going to try swap the leather from the Fairlane seat bottom over to my EF seat, but I'm not 100% sure if the leather will sit 'right' on a normal EF Fairmont base as they just look different, last thing I want is to have the leather looking too loose and creasing etc.

Thanks for bringing up using the EF/EL wire though, that's something I may have to look into. Might have to jump on Fordmods and have a search around for that topic. Cheers dude! :drinks2:
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby URZ2NV » July 5th, 2012, 9:17 am

Yea the fairlane ones do look bigger but see how you go, I know even using the standard AU bolsters that they do sit a little different as the rear wheels arch in the AU's seem to be a bit bigger as you will have a slight gap near the door, but it is only very slight and you dont really notice with the door trimming.

I'm pretty sure it was fordmods I spotted it as I was right in with them at the time lol, hope it all works out for you man they are most deffinately the most comfy seats I have sat in (apart from the seats in my XR6T).

Cheers
Josh
URZ2NV
Idling

Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby xf84 » July 6th, 2012, 9:44 am

Love what you've done mate! Especially the interior!! I'm about to bolt a NL dash back into my XH, and was undecided about using the vinyl dye.... after looking in here I am convinced to use it!! I got black BA leather seats so should tie in nicely :) Keep up the good work!

btw, how are those rims holding up with the black paint? Did a good job there too :thumbsup:
XHII XR8 Ute - KENNE BELL BUILD IN PROGRESS
BUILD THREAD
xf84
Idling

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Postby kwikxr » July 6th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Thanks mate! Have been following your build over on Fordmods and its insane! One of the best XH's I've seen, definitely up there with XH5LWPN's ute :thumbsup:

The paint on the wheels is holding up quite well actually, the paint seems to be fairly durable, finish is still very glossy etc, just has a couple of tiny stonechips from when I had to take a gravel road to work for about 2 weeks while road works were in progress.

Brake dust turns the wheels matte black in a matter of days lol, luckily they are easy to clean.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby xf84 » July 6th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Sweet! :)

Yeah, been thinking I wanna make my GTP's a matte black colour, but don't wanna waste $$ on chinese copy GTP's...thinkin of havin a crack myself!! :)
XHII XR8 Ute - KENNE BELL BUILD IN PROGRESS
BUILD THREAD
xf84
Idling

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Postby kwikxr » July 15th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Well, the NU Fairlane rear seat swap is finally done. Not without a bit of fucking around though, but it's done as of about 10min's ago lol..

Rear seat backs were a straight swap over, lined up with factory mounting points etc. Simple enough. The latches were the seat back lock into position needed the matching AU style bracket/latch for it to work. I had a look at trying to modify the original mount so the the locking pin was lower down to line up with the hook of the NU seats, but the pin was way too big and when it came time to mount the AU style side bolsters, the original mounts fouled on the inner part of the bolsters.

So off with the original brackets. 2x 12mm bolts to remove and a fair bit of forward/backward bending to break the spot welds holding the bracket to the body of the car.

Dummied up the AU style bracket with the seat in the locked position. With the bracket parallel to the mounting area, the bracket sat almost a whole inch away from where it needed to be bolted to.

Basically the bracket needed to be spaced a fair amount so that it could be bolted to the body of the car. Took me a while to figure out what to do, but noticed a few parts I could use by pulling apart the locking pin assembly.

Decided to use the funny looking shaped bracket (has a block welded to it with a threaded hole) to mount to the body of the car, then mount the AU bracket to that bracket using the bolt half of the locking pin.

Cut out a small section out of the bracket so it could fit nicely around the wheel arch and cut the locking pin in half so I could use the threaded bolt half of it.

With a bit of trial and error, I worked out where I needed to mount the bracket to the body. Drilled a couple small holes into the bracket and through the body and used some decent sized self tapper's to secure it in place.

Grabbed the AU bracket and drilled the original hole out larger to so the locking pin bolt could fit through. I have a fairly thick stainless spacer on the back side of the AU bracket to take up the extra clearance so that the bracket sits parallel to the seat latch and mounting point on the body.

Lined the hook in the seat up with the latch, then tightened the bolt to hold it in place. Isn't exactly the most ideal way of doing things honestly, but it works fine and seems to hold in position just about as well as the original EF seat does (you can pull forward on the headrests and there is only the slightest movement from the AU latch moving inside the hook. It's one of those parts that isn't going to move around a hell of a lot, so as long as it holds the seat in position securely, I'm happy.

Then had to do the same for the other side.

Then it came time to mount the bolsters. This is the reason why Fairlane ones won't fit. Compared to AU SR bolsters, the Fairlane ones are on fucking 'roids.

Made use of the AU SR bolsters as they are known to fit, and just made up a horizontal 'locking pin' so that they lock into the original notch that the EF/EL bolsters lock into.

Yes my mounting point was a decent sized nail lol. Drilled a hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the nail and then slowly tapped the nail through so it was a tight fit. The half of the nail where the head is locks into the factory notch on the EF, bottom mounting point lines up with the original hole so it's a fairly straight forward fit.

Was planning to transfer the leather from the NU bolsters to the AU SR ones, but on closer inspection, the bolsters are shaped a little differently at the top, therefore the stitching wouldn't follow the lines of the SR bolster and would probably look a bit funny. Decided to leave the SR ones in as is, and maybe take them to a trimmer later on to get trimmed to match the NU leather.

Bottom part of the seat was a bitch. Not that it was overly hard, but more the case of eye-lining the AU style hoops and the plastic brackets to make sure they were mounted in fairly close proximity to where they need to be exactly. I did it by laying the seat down and pushing it into position, lifting the front of the seat gradually and marking with a marker pen where the hoops were touching the carpet. Removed the seat, grabbed out the drill and then hoped that wherever I made those marks, were correct or close enough lol. After a few drilled holes followed by the use of big centre punches to link the drilled holes to form a slot, they brackets were pushed in nicely, then the seat dropped into place. Done!

Pretty happy all in all! The rear seat is comfy as hell, really holds you in and feels really plush. The bottom doesn't exactly line up perfectly with the driveshaft tunnel, but it's close enough to nearly not notice unless you're really picky. Everything else sits pretty well.

I have noticed there is slightly less leg room in the rear though, not by much, but I noticed it straight away. One of the best features I've noticed is rear cup holders, lovin' it! :drinks2:

Pic's are a bit shit, we're taken at like 8.30pm in darkness with the flash on, so every little crease in the leather shows up lol. Will get some better ones through the week in natural light.

So, that's the interior pretty much done and dusted really. I have a few small things to finish off, such as dying the rear door arm rests satin black like the front doors, work out a way of securing the rear quarter window trims so they don't rattle off when the music is off (have currently lost all the original screws holding the drivers side trim in, probably when vacuuming the interior after they have been rattled loose :shock:), fit Ghia rear door map pockets, maybe a new hoodlining etc.

Not much else to update on really. Have fitted my Digital Design CXS6.5 rear speakers after having to repair one that had a slight problem with part of the speaker cone spider coming away from the basket, but all is working fine again and I'm loving the sound.

Sound system will probably stay as is for a while, although I'm on the look out for a 2nd DD3512 just so I can complete the Digital Designs speaker/sub arrangement lol.

Received a J3 programmer from TiPerformance (big thanks to Jase again :grin: ) and have booked the Fairmont in for a dyno run @ Protune at the end of this month. Have had a chat to the guys there and depending on how busy they are, they might let me make a few changes to the tune between runs, best of all, most likely free of charge, so long as they don't have to wait too long between runs and don't have other customers to attend to. Looking forward to that, mostly so I can see how close/far off the current tune is and see how much of a gain can be made with alterations to the tune. Should be fun! :D
Last edited by kwikxr on July 15th, 2012, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby Bob Lablaw » July 15th, 2012, 7:33 pm

good work man, and good to hear about the dyno
245rwkw @ 8psi EF Fairmont- HX35 turbo, 42lb lucas injectors, 45mm wastegate, owner made exhaust manifold cooler piping, port and polish, 3" exhaust, super lows, 17x8.5 ROH z's, shift kit, XR8 bulge and extra vents, slotted rotors, J3 boost tune, wrx seats, wideband.... brake upgrade to come
Bob Lablaw
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 30 times

1996 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby kwikxr » July 15th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Cheers man!

Yeah can't wait to get it on the dyno, gotta get back into the rhythm of playing around with the tune. Fingers crossed a wideband kit and possibly a datalogger will be the next things to come. Hopefully it doesn't break anything on the dyno though; seeing as the run down to Hamilton for All Ford Day is 2 days later, and I'm VERY keen on attending that one lol
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby EF ECTIV » July 15th, 2012, 8:57 pm

nice work... black and cappa looks like a surprisingly good combination... Maybe have the door inserts changed to black
as well but otherwise looking nice...
EF ECTIV
Coming Soon: Ford Strokers 363 Windsor, BorgWarner s400 sx3 76mm, 60mm Turbosmart gate, TH400 box, Kaaz diff

2013 G6E Turbo

Stock daily

Allfast Torque Converters 08 9249 3066
EF ECTIV
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 166 times
Been Liked: 67 times

Postby superhuS! » July 18th, 2012, 9:49 am

Mate, you're an absolute legend. Thank you so much for the detailed writeup on AU fairlane rear seat installs. Will definately be following this when I get around to mine!
EL XR6
Koni - Lovell's SSL - Camtech 845 - Headwork - 3.9 LSD - Tickford Kit - Sunroof

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
superhuS!
Full Boost

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby LUVSIT » July 23rd, 2012, 5:48 pm

looks boss man!
LUVSIT
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 96 times

1998 Ford XR6

Postby kwikxr » July 27th, 2012, 4:33 pm

Thanks dude :drinks2:

Went in to Protune today and got a few runs done. There was some good and bad news...

Bad news, the J3 programmer was having a little problem communicating with the chip last night when I was making a few pre-dyno adjustments. First I downloaded the current tune off the chip and all the data was haywire, would open up say the VE table and the spark tables, and every value in the table was the same :?

So found my current tune on file, brought that into TunerPro, made some adjustments, and whenever I tried burning to the chip, it would fail as soon as it started to try upload. Had this same problem with a J3 programmer I borrowed off a fellow BoostedFalcon member (Bob Lablaw), so I think this may be down to the actual J3 chip connection that the ribbon cable plugs into. Managed to get it to burn eventually an hour later by playing with the connection. Because of these dramas, it put me off trying to fine tune whilst on the dyno just incase it started playing up again, leaving me there with added time and no progress costing more money.

Once the tune was done, got to work on replacing a few serviceable items so the car is running at it's optimum so to speak when it's getting it's reading on the dyno. So new fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs went in at about 11pm last night lol..

Anyways, good news is everything went well on the dyno. No smashed gearbox, not blown bottom end, nothing of the sort thank God lol.

AFR's aren't too bad considering it was all a pretty much 'guess tune' trying to get it running after the cam swap lol. AFR's around idle and at part throttle were pretty good, but at WOT it was still pretty rich (running in the low 11:1 range from 2200rpm - 5500rpm, then for some reason it started leaning off to 13:1 before hitting the limiter at 5800rpm. So still a fair bit to be gained in trimming the fuel map in the midrange. The spark map is still relatively sedate, have only added a small amount to the timing map so could add a bit more safely.

On the first run, I almost shit myself when I saw it pull past 170rwkw, thought something must be going wrong. Sure enough, it was a spike due to the rear end not being strapped down hard enough. Apparently being a Ford and the type of dyno they have, makes tying these things down a bitch unless you've got a toe bar to make use of lol. Would explain why both times I've been to Protune, the first question they ask is "does it have a toe bar?" :lol:

All tied down hard, it managed to pull a best of 152rwkw. The 2 best runs were pulling a 149.0rwkw and 149.2rwkw back to back, peak power on both runs was at 5350rpm. AFR's were exactly the same on both these runs so decided to get this run printed off with AFR readout so I can tune off that when I get a wideband kit.

Pretty happy with the result, it's reached my original target rwkw figure in NA form, 200hp at the wheels lol. Sounds pathetic I know haha.. Just need a wideband to sort out the AFR's at WOT in the midrange, play around with the timing a little more and it should be good. It's not making huge power at all, but its putting down a bit more than it was when I bought it so that's good enough for me.

Slowly getting ready for the Hamilton Ford Day this Sunday. Took it to the old man's workplace, put her up on the hoist, new oil and filter, and gave a good checking over. All it needs now is a wash, detail, and the engine bay looking all schmick and we are rolling 8)
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby SLO247 » July 28th, 2012, 8:48 am

Nice power mate, I'd be happy with that. And there is a bit more in it too.

Thats a seriously clean shop lol.
SLO247
Cruising

Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Postby kwikxr » July 28th, 2012, 9:08 am

Thanks Slo, if it can make 160rwkw after the tune is sorted properly, I'd be happy. I know the bottom end is slowly starting to show it's age as it's copped a fair bit of abuse, so just gonna keep pushing it till something pops lol

Haha, yeah that workshop is mint. It's not an actual shop though which is why it's so clean, my old man teaches an automotive mechanic course and has the complete workshop for teaching the practical side of things.

Every Friday, they clean up and knock off at 12pm, I rock up at 12.30pm and make good use of the freshly cleaned workshop :lol:
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » July 29th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Hamilton All Ford Day / Henry Ford Memorial Day 2012

Well what a day! Minimal sleep, but still managed to have my car and the old man's XR6 fully washed and detailed before hitting the shower and then bed by 2am.

Up at 5am to get ready to meet up with the Northen NZFF members before convoying down to Hamilton. Great drive on the way down, nothing beats driving along with a group of mint cars in nice peaceful conditions with almost no traffic the entire way down.

The show was awesome, such a good time catching up with the NZFF guys and gals again and meeting some new people too. Oh, can't forget the cars either! Great range of Ford's and a few more E-series Fords which is always excellent to see haha. Weather held up okay for the most part, few showers here and there but nothing extreme. No way near as big as last years show, but still a good turn-out considering, a lot of people would have been put off by the weather forecast.

Got the Fairmont looking pretty decent for the day so took a few shots as always lol..

On the way home got pulled up for doing 24k's over the limit. Was on the motorway coming down a slight declining blind bend, in 3rd giving it a bit of juice after being stuck behind some slow **** drivers for the past 1km or so and just as I round the bend and onto the straight, the copper was sitting there about 150m further down just pulling onto the motorway to nab someone else speeding past when I caught his attention on the radar instead. This cop turned out to be a decent bloke and let me off with a warning thankfully lol

Had some major WTF moments occuring when he said he'd let me off haha.. Pretty rare that I get to save money, but this was definitely one occasion :lol:

Anyways, for anyone interested, here's a link to all photo's from the Ford Day..
http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/ww17 ... ay%202012/
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby Michael (HYPOEB) » July 30th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Looking real nice mate! Got lucky with the cop :)
Looks like there was a fair few nice cars there,Good to see a EL GT over there! anyone no how many EB/EL GT's were shipped to NZ?
BA XT Wagon: Stock.

EA SVO: Stock.

EBT-747: -

Michael (HYPOEB)
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 261 times

1993 Ford Falcon

Postby kwikxr » July 30th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Thanks mate :D

Yeah definitely good to see some EB and EL GT's pop down for the show. I think I've seen 4 different EL GT's in person over here, and maybe 3 or 4 EB GT's. Definitely isn't many though, makes them stand out that much more at Ford show's here that are heavily dominated by Mustangs and old GT's
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » July 30th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Some better shots of the seats now that they have had the conditioner applied..

Pretty happy with the feel of them, just the front seats need the bases packed with added bolstering for the sides, these Fairlane bases sit so damn flat and have no feel to the sides. The seat backs are fine though. Rear seat is fkn heaven :D
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby RYNSXR » July 30th, 2012, 6:57 pm

kwikxr wrote:Some better shots of the seats now that they have had the conditioner applied..

Pretty happy with the feel of them, just the front seats need the bases packed with added bolstering for the sides, these Fairlane bases sit so damn flat and have no feel to the sides. The seat backs are fine though. Rear seat is fkn heaven :D

cheers for the hamilton ford photo's.. the dark green xa gt 4 door would have to be the pick of the bunch for me.. your seats come up good.. what leather conditioner did you use ? i use mother's leather conditioner on my momo steering wheel and it seems to be a good product..
RYNSXR
Idling

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Postby kwikxr » July 30th, 2012, 7:17 pm

Hey mate, thanks! I used Mother's Leather conditioner as well, seems to work well and smells nice haha. I still want to try Autoglym leather conditioner, apparently its really good.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » August 4th, 2012, 6:58 pm

In between some on/off rain, managed to do a few things to the interior to make things look a bit more 'complete' lol..

Pulled off the console lid, pulled it apart and dyed the vinyl black, turned out quite well! Goes well with the black leather and ties the rest of the centre console in nicely.

Pic's:

Also pulled the rear door trims off, removed the armrest parts so I could dye them finally.

Looks a lot better now that the armrests match the front. Have been driving around for a very long time with front armrests in black and rear armrests in off coloured cappa lol, so all in all, the interior is now looking a bit better as a whole.

So, hopefully in the next few weeks, I should have a wideband kit ready to install. Just going to go for an Innovate MTX-L, something basic but should do the job fine. Once that is in, will do a bit of road tuning to get the AFR's a bit more closer to being ideal, and then maybe back on the dyno to see where it's at to see how much more I can pull out of it with the tune.

Also need to see if I can make a few changes to the timing so that it doesn't drop torque as much around the BBM switch over point. My torque curve from my dyno sheet looks like it hits a brick wall right before 4000rpm before it picks up a little then starts dropping off again.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby RYNSXR » August 4th, 2012, 9:29 pm

your console lid come up good.. same with the door trims, i didnt think those colours would go together but it looks good.. that vinyl dye isnt too bad as long as you give everything a good clean first and make the first 2-3 coats light so the vinyl dye penetrates into the vinyl you will be set..

ive have used it on some of my previous cars and never had any problems with it..
RYNSXR
Idling

Postby kwikxr » August 4th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Thanks mate :). Yeah this dye works surprisingly well. Did my whole dash pad along with quite a few other pieces in the interior a few years ago and haven't had to touch up anything yet, just a quick wipe over with a microfiber cloth to remove the dust and it looks like the day it first got dyed.

The first few mist coats are vital for getting it to work effectively, like you said, as soon as those first few coats sink in, you can't go wrong.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby RYNSXR » August 4th, 2012, 9:51 pm

yeah, i couldn't agree more..
RYNSXR
Idling

Postby kwikxr » August 5th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Went out for a drive today and grabbed a shot before it started pissing down..
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » August 20th, 2012, 9:01 pm

Innovate MTX-L wideband kit arrived today :mrgreen:

Hopefully, that'll be all installed soon. Just need to get time to get down to an exhaust joint to have the bung for the wideband sensor welded onto the exhaust somewhere. Once that is done, I'll wire the kit in, and get straight onto some DIY road tuning to get the AFR's sorted out once and for all.

Finished off my stopper bracket for the brake master cylinder/booster assembly. It seems to be working pretty damn good. It doesn't make the car stop any better, just makes the pedal feel a bit firmer compared to before, but then again, it did have a fair amount of flex which is no longer there.

Also got a oil catch can to hook up. Should be good for keeping oil out of the intake manifold (well reducing it anyway) and add's a bit more to the bling factor.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » September 6th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Oil catch can is in now. Just mounted it to the rear part of the airbox. Have rigged it up to 'catch' the oil vapours from the rear breather on the rocker cover.

Was initially going to try hooking up the PCV and the rear breather straight to the catch can and then block off the fittings that the hoses lead into on the intake manifold, but was worried without manifold vacuum, oil vapours may not be drawn out, so have just left the PCV side as is, and added the catch can inline with the rear breather tract. The breather filter there right now isn't in use, have sealed that port off and put the filter on to cover it. Seeing as the can is hooked up back to the intake manifold, having a breather filter venting to atmo would create a vacuum leak. Something I didn't think about when buying the catch can, should have got a sealed one instead, anyways, we'll see how it goes..

Also finally bought myself my first helmet as a motivator for hitting the track... lol. Image

There was a big drag event on Sunday/Father's Day which I planned on going to so I could put the Fairmont down the 1/4 and get some figures - unfortunately I broke the 5th metatarsal bone in my foot on the Saturday night which put an end to that plan..

Luckily there will be a Ford Muscle Car Club drag event happening in November so will most likely be getting the Fairmont prepped up for that. Beforehand though, I might be hitting up the Pukekohe race track testing/open days so I can play around with road tuning without having to worry about getting stung on public roads.
Last edited by kwikxr on September 22nd, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby kwikxr » September 18th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Finally got something done today that was WELL overdue..

Before.. :cry:

After.. :D

Tinted windows done courtesy of Navin @ A1 Tinting - did a top job, great service and best of all, I didn't even have to leave the house; which is a bit of a mission right now with a broken foot :evil:

Extremely happy with how it turned out, finishes off the exterior nicely. Only went for darkest legal/35% all round, didn't want the hassle of it being too dark and getting hit up about it during a WOF or police inspection. Nothing worse than having to pay for a job twice, so decided to play it safe.

That is all for now ;)
kwikxr
Cruising

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby SnipeZ » September 18th, 2012, 8:16 pm

I got 15. It's hardly that much different but. Being inside is so much cooler

Cheers