BLKPHN's new toy FG XR8

Post pics of your rides here

BLKPHN's new toy FG XR8

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 9:41 am

So here is my new toy,

I was getting very bored driving around a stock EA s-pack wagon, a very immaculate wagon but after having many fun cars it was doing my head in.
getting close to winter boating season was well and truly over. So i started looking for another toy, I was looking at SSV sportswagons, Typhoon again, FG GT's and after talking to Theo at bluepower and him saying that the FG GT's can't really be supercharged without building a motor straight away changed my decision on the GT so I started looking at XR8's. I found this one on Carsales had all the goodies so i called up the ford dealer in bendigo where it was and asked them all about it, as you know i keep my cars immaculate to i didn't want to drive up there and find that it was crap, he assured me it was very clean with no scratches or marks on it at all. So next day i was driving home from Bendigo in my new toy though on the way to pick it up i went past Bluepower to get one of there Airbox's also.

Spec's
2009 FG XR8 in Nitro.
290 Boss motor.
TR6060 manual.
Leather, Premium sound, Optioned 19's (Pirrelli P-Zero Nero's), Reverse Sensors.

So the plans are simple, KB, Difillipo, brembo's 400+ atw :D

Pics.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Re: BLKPHN's new toy FG XR8

Postby superhuS! » May 9th, 2012, 9:43 am

Nice pickup dude! Can't wait to see it blown :D
EL XR6
Koni - Lovell's SSL - Camtech 845 - Headwork - 3.9 LSD - Tickford Kit - Sunroof

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
No XR Ghia and no boost make Hussy something something
superhuS!
Full Boost

Has Liked: 102 times
Been Liked: 312 times

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby private9 » May 9th, 2012, 10:15 am

Looks spotless Tristan, nice work!
private9
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 185 times

Postby ClassicAU » May 9th, 2012, 10:36 am

Mint, as usual bloke! Do love the FG interior, such a nice place to sit. Probably the most comfortable Falcon I have ever been in. I love the colour too, second only to Ego I recon! So why no KB on a GT but yes on XR8? Low comp ratio or something? Can’t wait to see yet another impeccable Tristan production! :P
3C Volkswagen Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model - Candy White, 17's, DSG, Bi-Xenon lights, Euro lux!

*laughs maniacally* “I can do burnouts every day for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it! They're always awesome!” - Mike Musto
ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 109 times

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 10:55 am

superhuS! wrote:Nice pickup dude! Can't wait to see it blown :D

cheers man, I can't wait either all in good time.

Private9 wrote:Looks spotless Tristan, nice work!

Thanks Justin, i wouldn't have bought it otherwise..

ClassicAU wrote:Mint, as usual bloke! Do love the FG interior, such a nice place to sit. Probably the most comfortable Falcon I have ever been in. I love the colour too, second only to Ego I recon! So why no KB on a GT but yes on XR8? Low comp ratio or something? Can’t wait to see yet another impeccable Tristan production!

Thanks Ev, everyone keeps saying its the most comfortable car to sit in especially the back seat... I'm pretty sure the fronts are the same as the BF anyway. Yeah comp is way to high on the 315 GT's it can be done but not recommended at all. It would have needed a rebuild of the engine. which i would love to do to this in time but with an alloy block save 65kg on the block alone.
Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » May 9th, 2012, 11:03 am

I rented an XR6 a while back when they were still fairly new, and I recon it’s the combo of the seats, driving position and high centre console that just comes together. I don’t see why people say it’s too high? Although I am pretty short, so that helps!
Ah, makes sense. Plus, this will make for a much more awesome sleeper with 400+ than a GT would anyway. Not going to do coil overs or anything like that? Do these things suffer from the same handling let downs as the FPV’s?
3C Volkswagen Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model - Candy White, 17's, DSG, Bi-Xenon lights, Euro lux!

*laughs maniacally* “I can do burnouts every day for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it! They're always awesome!” - Mike Musto
ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 11:15 am

ClassicAU wrote:I rented an XR6 a while back when they were still fairly new, and I recon it’s the combo of the seats, driving position and high centre console that just comes together. I don’t see why people say it’s too high? Although I am pretty short, so that helps!
Ah, makes sense. Plus, this will make for a much more awesome sleeper with 400+ than a GT would anyway. Not going to do coil overs or anything like that? Do these things suffer from the same handling let downs as the FPV’s?

Yeah that high console was a concern when I first looked at the FG's years ago, I always said to myself driving a manual one would be a pain in the arse. However the console is perfect height and you arm rests just nicely on it at the right height.

Yeah just a tad sleeper spec always my way. Coil overs I might look into doing however the handling is soooo much better than the BA-BF's stock, it doesn't have that heavy front end feel of the older GT's XR8's and soggy rear end feel how ever it does have pedders springs in it. The 335 GT i drove had great front end feel but the rear was a soggy sausage!

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby Parfrey » May 9th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Looks clean! Awesome colour too.

Any reason you went for one of these over a sc GS or gt? By the time its pumping out 400kw it would have to add up to the price of a factory charged one with a tune.
FG GT335 Tune only 376rwkw
GU Patrol TD42t @30psi
Parfrey
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 82 times
Been Liked: 131 times

Postby private9 » May 9th, 2012, 12:52 pm

BLKPHN wrote:
superhuS! wrote:Nice pickup dude! Can't wait to see it blown :D

cheers man, I can't wait either all in good time.

Private9 wrote:Looks spotless Tristan, nice work!

Thanks Justin, i wouldn't have bought it otherwise..

ClassicAU wrote:Mint, as usual bloke! Do love the FG interior, such a nice place to sit. Probably the most comfortable Falcon I have ever been in. I love the colour too, second only to Ego I recon! So why no KB on a GT but yes on XR8? Low comp ratio or something? Can’t wait to see yet another impeccable Tristan production!

Thanks Ev, everyone keeps saying its the most comfortable car to sit in especially the back seat... I'm pretty sure the fronts are the same as the BF anyway. Yeah comp is way to high on the 315 GT's it can be done but not recommended at all. It would have needed a rebuild of the engine. which i would love to do to this in time but with an alloy block save 65kg on the block alone.

Serious question and not a stab - why this and not a s/h GS with a couple of k thrown at it for similar results?
private9
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 185 times

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Parfrey wrote:Looks clean! Awesome colour too.

Any reason you went for one of these over a sc GS or gt? By the time its pumping out 400kw it would have to add up to the price of a factory charged one with a tune.

The GS/GT Miami is at least 14k more to start with, plus there is all the mods that need to be done its no as simple as a tune (yes people have tuned them and made good power but man do they suffer heat soak) and pulley change. The pulley is pressed on the stock snout and if changed is prone to falling off the alternative if to use an underdrive setup to over spin it this sound good but not efficient on a 1.9ltr blower. The next idea is to change the whole front snout and put an intercooler in there, and this has been done and works very well but then you need exhaust clutch and tune to make 400+ so that's a good 7k on top on the car price and even then the little blower is trying its heart out to keep up.

However on the 5.4 side of things is the KB unit is a large cost however the 2.6ltr unit will happly run 20psi, and at 9psi make well over 400rwkw with a exhaust and tune, with the capability of make 500rwkw with the right bottom end. The 5.4 will smash any 5ltr with the same power level as it makes way more torque and power through the rev range.

Pound for pound the KB unit will make more power and less heat more so than any other blower on the market YT, whipple, etc.

Also the initial outlay for the car is much nicer on the pocket in the first hit.

hahah I've done loads of research.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ford_racing_8 » May 9th, 2012, 1:12 pm

MINT!! Good pick-up, i dont see enough of these around, great looking car with a decent amount of power from factory, i think you've made the right choice over an SS sports wagon.
Looking forward to any progress made on this.
Previous Rides:
EA Fairmont
XE Ghia
EF Fairmont Tickford Optioned viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8221
EB Ghia V8 (TUFEB)
EB Fairmont

Current Rides:
BA GT Build 0111 (Phantom) 263.2 rwkw
BA II XR6 Turbo (Velocity)
XD Ghia: 393 Stroker (Project) 452.7 HP
AU XR8 Ute

ford_racing_8
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 45 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 1:36 pm

ford_racing_8 wrote:MINT!! Good pick-up, i dont see enough of these around, great looking car with a decent amount of power from factory, i think you've made the right choice over an SS sports wagon.
Looking forward to any progress made on this.

Cheers man, I didn't think i could own a holden..

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » May 9th, 2012, 2:34 pm

This guy knows his shit!! :good: I totally missed that bit about the SSV wagon. Having owned a brand newie, I can positively say you have made the right choice! Yes they look hot, but suck the fat one mechanically.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 3:46 pm

ClassicAU wrote:This guy knows his shit!! :good: I totally missed that bit about the SSV wagon. Having owned a brand newie, I can positively say you have made the right choice! Yes they look hot, but suck the fat one mechanically.

i may have done a tad of research it started when I had the BA XR8.. lol

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby braad » May 9th, 2012, 3:53 pm

looks nice. I love that blue as long as its kept clean (im sure you will)
and KB is just goodness for the soul
braad
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 175 times
Been Liked: 67 times

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby EBOOST » May 9th, 2012, 9:21 pm

good stuff tristan.

i dont mean to quetion ur knowledge on the 5l v kb 5.4 but didnt bluepower just make 426rwkw with intercooler, pulley change on a gs/gt?

my brother told me as he is looking into getting one maybe.
as far as he said it had stock exhaust with different cats and thats all.

either way u have odviously made the right choice for urself.
cheers josh.
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby nstg8a » May 9th, 2012, 9:41 pm

love it, its got all the options i wish mine had, especially that third pedal. as good as the zf is, its no manual.

il be following the progress of this for sure.

EBOOST wrote:
i dont mean to quetion ur knowledge on the 5l v kb 5.4 but didnt bluepower just make 426rwkw with intercooler, pulley change on a gs/gt?

but your looking at 45 + for a gs, plus 6k iirc just for the cooler set up, plus fitting, tune, plus bits...
nstg8a
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 541 times
Been Liked: 208 times

1999 Ford Fairlane

Postby EBOOST » May 9th, 2012, 9:54 pm

yeah i understand but an xr8 would go for 30k?

plus kb is what 12-15k?
and the 5l is apparently really strong but these 5.4's seem strong aswell.
i havent researched or looked into it much and tristan has i was just asking the question as he knows theo and chris pretty well.
cheers josh.
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 10:55 pm

EBOOST wrote:yeah i understand but an xr8 would go for 30k?

plus kb is what 12-15k?
and the 5l is apparently really strong but these 5.4's seem strong aswell.
i havent researched or looked into it much and tristan has i was just asking the question as he knows theo and chris pretty well.
cheers josh.

Hey josh,

I've looked into the Miami but for a minimum of 45k no leather etc it was too much to spend especially since I've now got two cars and a boat. Bluepower are making amazing power out of the Miami however it's not a simple as just an inter cooler and pulley change the intercooler is 4k check out KPM's website then there is the snout change from yella terra I can't see this being any less than 2k and then the difillipo exhaust which they have it is a cat and rear which is about $2800, so it adds up pretty quick not to mention injectors and tune an other 2k so just there where at 10800 over the initial 45k outlay. So you can understand why I decided to go the 5.4 option as I can spend 15k on a blower and exhaust if I fit it myself it works out a bit cheaper. If I was better off financially I probably would have gone down the Miami route.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby Parfrey » May 9th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Sorry if that came out the wrong way at all, im keen to know all about it as i have contemplated doing the same thing.
I reckon both cars would end up costing around the same, the xr8 would be quicker but the Gs would have it in resale value. (if that's important)
It would be cool to see a 5.4 vs 5.0 comparo but both with KB's
FG GT335 Tune only 376rwkw
GU Patrol TD42t @30psi
Parfrey
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 82 times
Been Liked: 131 times

Postby BLKPHN » May 9th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Parfrey wrote:Sorry if that came out the wrong way at all, im keen to know all about it as i have contemplated doing the same thing.
I reckon both cars would end up costing around the same, the xr8 would be quicker but the Gs would have it in resale value. (if that's important)
It would be cool to see a 5.4 vs 5.0 comparo but both with KB's

Nah not at all man everyone always asks why, it's defiantly a good comparison Bluepower have actually looked at putting the KB head unit on the Miami. I'm not worries about resale value lol if I was I didn't do so well on the typhoon haha.

The GS is a great car and the engine is amazing, but I've always wanted a blown boss so I went this direction. Also still being at school the initial outlay was just to much.

Some time when I get a KB on I'll have to take you for a spin, Ive been in a few and it's just something amazing none of this turbo lag just crazy straight out power.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby Jet » May 10th, 2012, 12:08 am

The kenne bell will be awesome but I had to get my google on anyway. http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/inde ... cle&id=140 Obviously not a direct bolt so just an example. Surely 2x garett 35/82r's, an intercooler and some custom pipework would be cost effective. And if you read the description in the link, you can even set it up to run with the kb as well so you get the best of both worlds. Imagine the turbo's spooling with the blower screaming it's head off. :yahoo:
Jet
Cruising

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 17 times

Postby bentls » May 10th, 2012, 7:38 am

don't forget to come pick me up for a spin when the KB is on tristan!

still got the ripper ea?

also when you order the kb, maybe order 2 so i can fit one to the x5 yeah?
94 soarer
01 senator signature 5.7
96 k11 micra
bentls
Full Boost

Has Liked: 277 times
Been Liked: 158 times

Postby EBOOST » May 10th, 2012, 7:51 am

Yeah u have a good point man as i said i dont know how much anything is worth or anything.

yeah ill take a spin also if possible haha.
cheers.
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » May 10th, 2012, 8:19 am

ab_futura wrote:The kenne bell will be awesome but I had to get my google on anyway. http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/inde ... cle&id=140 Obviously not a direct bolt so just an example. Surely 2x garett 35/82r's, an intercooler and some custom pipework would be cost effective. And if you read the description in the link, you can even set it up to run with the kb as well so you get the best of both worlds. Imagine the turbo's spooling with the blower screaming it's head off. :yahoo:

Have you seen a Boss motor in an engine bay? it struggles fit in let alone plumb up two turbo's which actually has been done by a guy in WA lots of cutting not something I want to do. Being twin turbo supercharged would be crazy but i think a KB with 400rwkw will be just fine for the street.

Bentls wrote:don't forget to come pick me up for a spin when the KB is on tristan!

still got the ripper ea?

also when you order the kb, maybe order 2 so i can fit one to the x5 yeah?

Yep still got the EA its too good to sell, I mean cause its an EA no one will want to pay anything more than $50 for it.

Sure i'll just buy another on for fun! lol :D

and taking you for a spin just goes without saying man.

EBOOST wrote:Yeah u have a good point man as i said i dont know how much anything is worth or anything.

yeah ill take a spin also if possible haha.
cheers.

I'm sure prices on all that stuff will come down once more get in to the market, but that screaming KB can't be passed up.

Definatly man.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby bentls » May 10th, 2012, 8:25 am

Once the Kb is on we should swap tow cars for a weekend
94 soarer
01 senator signature 5.7
96 k11 micra
bentls
Full Boost

Postby BLKPHN » May 10th, 2012, 8:32 am

bentls wrote:Once the Kb is on we should swap tow cars for a weekend

Why would you want to tow with the EA?? :P no tow bar on the FG. :D

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby Bipolar » May 10th, 2012, 8:46 am

Love your plans, and also when someone who has taste picks up a mint Falcon.
RBKILA wrote:yes im sure 99% of the hate is just jealousy from morons.
the same sort of people you see at bathurst, wearing all the hrt gear and then you see them get into a camry in the car park lol
Bipolar

Has Liked: 741 times
Been Liked: 225 times

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby OMY-747 » May 10th, 2012, 8:59 am

Love the car and love the plans.

Didn't avo have a twin turbo kit for the BA/bf xr8? Mounted them down low like at the bottom of extractors. It was what I always loved the idea of, kept the bay looking standard.
240rwkw, 6 speed manual wagon. Good times indeed.
OMY-747
Full Boost

Has Liked: 59 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby BLKPHN » May 10th, 2012, 9:28 am

Bipolar wrote:Love your plans, and also when someone who has taste picks up a mint Falcon.

Cheers man I like to keep it looking clean and simple nothing over the top.

OMY-747 wrote:Didn't avo have a twin turbo kit for the BA/bf xr8? Mounted them down low like at the bottom of extractors. It was what I always loved the idea of, kept the bay looking standard.

Yeah they did it never got off the ground as a kit, was way to expensive so it never eventuated.

A PD charger comes on boost instantly non of this turbo lag so power if always there.

The sound of a kenne bell!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOUdNbwo19o

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby OMY-747 » May 10th, 2012, 9:32 am

That sounds nuts. Can't blame you for wanting that :)
240rwkw, 6 speed manual wagon. Good times indeed.
OMY-747
Full Boost

Has Liked: 59 times
Been Liked: 58 times

Postby ClassicAU » May 10th, 2012, 10:03 am : EBOOST Likes this post

God damn it, I would take a knife to the gut to have that sound in my life! I did try too, but was emphatically denied due to being a dickhead for even thinking of putting a KB on a Windsor! Apparently my shitty AU owner money wasn't good enough! :P

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby bentls » May 10th, 2012, 7:02 pm

94 soarer
01 senator signature 5.7
96 k11 micra
bentls
Full Boost

Postby pHaT`eL » May 10th, 2012, 7:39 pm : Parfrey Likes this post

So much win with the KB noise!

And just cos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJDof0Y5cQ
[XGZ-566] 2009 BF3 XT EGAS WAGON
| 19x9 & 19X10 WORK EUROLINE'S | LOWERED |

[MR-PGR] 1980 XD FAIRMONT WAGON
| EFI WINDSOR | 14X8 & 14X10 12 SLOTTER'S | VENETIANS |

PREVIOUS RIDES: [WANTD-6] 2002 AU3 EGAS FORTE WAGON | [POPS4L] 1995 EF GLi WAGON | [EBW-302] 1991 EB GL WAGON V8 | [PHATEL] 1998 EL FAIRMONT TURBO

phat GUARD ROLLING | 0429 093 302 | facebook
pHaT`eL

Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 242 times

1991 Ford Falcon

Postby Michael (HYPOEB) » May 10th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Man that looks mint! Love your plans for it aswell :grin:
BA XT Wagon: Stock.

EA SVO: Stock.

EBT-747: -

Michael (HYPOEB)
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 261 times

1993 Ford Falcon

Postby Sunboost » May 10th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Looks great man, definitely Tristan-spec lol.

Interesting view there on modifying Miami motors, hadn't heard all the neg stuff before. Wanting to get in to one early next year.
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Postby BLKPHN » May 11th, 2012, 8:59 am

OMY-747 wrote:That sounds nuts. Can't blame you for wanting that :)

Yep that sound is amazing!

ClassicAU wrote:God damn it, I would take a knife to the gut to have that sound in my life! I did try too, but was emphatically denied due to being a dickhead for even thinking of putting a KB on a Windsor! Apparently my shitty AU owner money wasn't good enough!

I think it was because you underestmated the power of a Kenne Bell and they were just saving you life! :D

PhatEl wrote:So much win with the KB noise!

And just cos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJDof0Y5cQ

Loves a good skid!

Michael HYPOEB wrote:Man that looks mint! Love your plans for it aswell

Cheers man

Sundeep wrote:Looks great man, definitely Tristan-spec lol.

Interesting view there on modifying Miami motors, hadn't heard all the neg stuff before. Wanting to get in to one early next year.

It not so much negative just what the actual costs are. Bluepower have just made 480rwkw with the Miami god damn impressive!

Miami is 5.0ltr with 1.9ltr Blower
Boss is 5.4ltr with a 2.6ltr Blower

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » May 11th, 2012, 7:06 pm

BLKPHN wrote:
ClassicAU wrote:God damn it, I would take a knife to the gut to have that sound in my life! I did try too, but was emphatically denied due to being a dickhead for even thinking of putting a KB on a Windsor! Apparently my shitty AU owner money wasn't good enough!

I think it was because you underestmated the power of a Kenne Bell and they were just saving you life! :D

Well, considering the advice I was given was 'sell it, buy a BF MkII Turbo, then come back' I highly doubt that! :P Probably more of a case of the cbf's to be honest, which is a shame really. Ah well, at least you have the money for them to give you the time of day, I'll just have to make do with a ride in this thing when its done!

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » May 15th, 2012, 11:59 am

ClassicAU wrote:
BLKPHN wrote:

Well, considering the advice I was given was 'sell it, buy a BF MkII Turbo, then come back' I highly doubt that! :P Probably more of a case of the cbf's to be honest, which is a shame really. Ah well, at least you have the money for them to give you the time of day, I'll just have to make do with a ride in this thing when its done!

A KB'd Windsor is a lot of work and a lot of heartache, I'm sure you've had you fair share of that over you build of cars. Don't worry i was told the same thing with the TE, don't bother with it. However those who have done it have defiantly achieved some very good results.

I've removed the rear spoiler as i want to do the G6E look with the lip same as the F6. So if anyone see's a FG boot lid for sale let me know.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby bng » May 15th, 2012, 12:06 pm

bng
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Next

Return to The Showroom