The missus' ED Fairmont wagon...probably getting parted out

Post pics of your rides here

Re: The missus' ED Fairmont wagon

Postby EBOOST » February 5th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Each to their own I guess, I've done alot of heads without issue with coolant straight into them.

If we believe everything we read then we'd be "know it alls"

Good luck with the engine swap mate
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby DJV8T5 » February 5th, 2014, 2:52 pm

yeah I understand that, and coolants are far better now than when I got the information in the first place (10 odd years ago now), but in saying that I have also seen the results of the damage too. Engine swap is not the hardest job, already have help lined up. There are a lot of know it alls out there, that is for sure. Plenty of wrong information out there as well.

I will pull the old motor down once the car is running again to find the issue with it, thinking it may partially be a warped head as well as head gasket.
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 216 times
Been Liked: 88 times

Postby DJV8T5 » February 7th, 2014, 5:26 pm

after 2.5 hours of effort at pinch-a-part this morning, we sourced a motor, there were no gas ones left (AU anyway) so we just found the cleanest motor and pulled it. Came out easy enough and got it stripped down to get to a bare long motor...not bad for $140

Strapped it down and it didn't move all the way home so I am happy with that. Should have it regasketed tonight am most of the car ready for transplant tomorrow
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » February 9th, 2014, 1:50 am

so today (I suppose yesterday (Saturday) now) I got the engine out...pretty much by myself...it was a prick of a job, but I did it. I ground the front of the sump, got new sump gasket, rear main seal and welch plugs into the AU motor, as well as removed the sync sensor to make way for the dizzy. Will strip down the ED motor tomorrow and transfer all the necessary bits over to the AU motor and I should have it in and running by tomorrow (Sunday) night providing I don't break anything. The only thing I haven't done that I wanted to do was the balancer seal because I don't have a tool to get the balancer off the crank (I think it needs a 2/3 jaw puller) so that can wait, and if it leaks I will do it then, as I already have the seal.

Does anyone here bother with sealant on the exhaust gasket (head to manifold)? I don't know if it is a necessity, but I was thinking that I should use a little bit anyway, just want some advice on that please.

front of sump
new welch plugs
engine out

I have a video I will upload tomorrow, to show how much water is getting into #6 and causing the engine to hydraulic...and that is with low water
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » February 9th, 2014, 11:29 am

here is the video of what is wrong with the old engine. This is being turned by hand, and you can see what is wrong in the first 5 seconds.

DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » February 9th, 2014, 8:06 pm

so I found a few issues with this today, one of injector pintle caps was busted, and there is a green cap in with the yellow ones...kind of pissed cos they were supposed to be brand new when the head was done.

Got the intake on and sorted and put the leads on, found out that I will need a new coil lead, slightly longer, and maybe some new leads for #4 and #5, same as what the ELs run. I also need an AU alternator bracket because it was taken off the motor at the wreckers, I thought they were the same, but I was wrong.
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby ozeford » February 10th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Looking good man, have a AU Engine myself I was gonna put into my EL Wagon, but will be selling it later this year (to the dark side - VX Commodore) so decided against it, still may do it never know.
My Rides
XG Ute - Current
XH Ute - Next
ozeford
Idling

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby DJV8T5 » February 10th, 2014, 8:48 pm

I got the motor in today, still waiting on injectors to come back (apparently going to cost me $150) and a new serp belt. There was a whole lot of **** around to get it in sorting out all the little fiddly bits, but it is in. Would have been Sunday if it hasn't been so hot, at least there was a breeze today. The onlt thing I am not 100% on is the timing on the dizzy, I have read 10ATDC is where base timing should be set, but I am not sure what they run factory and I don't have a timing light I can use either.

Everything is bolted up ready to go except injectors, serp belt, and fans. Then the usual, fluids check everything over and crank it and hope for life.

engine in position
sump clearance, close, but there is a few mm spare
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » February 12th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Well I got it running today (missus got injectors and belt for it, I think the belt may be a touch too long at 2460 though). I did the timing by ear and it sounds better but is doughy as anything. I have adjusted the timing a little bit more but cant get it right. Most importantly it drives under it's own steam right now and that is the best bit. Doing it 99% by myself was a pain but it is done. Has a small exhaust leak at the front of the cat but that can be sorted later

Needs sway bar link bushes and tie rod ends done as well, after having a good look while it was all out. And front tyres cos they are screwed.

Feels so much stronger even untuned and needing work. Also pulled the head off the other motor, some head bolts were ft some were easy to get off. There is about an inch of the surround of #6 on the head gasket that is fucked (and missing the ring part) and I am not sure anything was done to the head on the old motor, it doesn't look like it was machined either
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » February 12th, 2014, 2:19 pm

touched up the timing a bit more, feels so much better. Alligator clip on the test light makes a great bridge for the contacts too :)
Last thing to fix up is the exhaust leak but I have the cbfs now and it can wait til I get back next week. Hopefully this will keep the missus happy for a few minutes at least.
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » March 3rd, 2014, 8:59 pm

So (conveniently) while I was away with work, this car decided to die again...with some fire though. Car is not burned to the ground, just the wire that goes on the back of the alternator decided to separate from the terminal and spark and flames came from the alternator (I am pretty sure it was just sparks, we all know how overly excited people can exaggerate things, although the wire casing is missing for about 2").

Looked at it tonight, and replaced the wire (need to replace my soldering iron so I can do the job properly :( ) and when I took the nut off the back it snapped the bolt in the back, so I need to replace the alternator tomorrow. I will see if I can replace the bolt/thread in the back of the alternator and have it as a spare just in case.

*EDIT* I also need to do something about the tensioner, as the lower part is rubbing on the belt. Might have to find out what other people have done and see how I can fix it. I think it just needs to be spaced out a bit and go from there. What have other people done with an AU engine and XH tensioner?
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » March 4th, 2014, 11:47 am

sourced and replaced the alternator, had to change the plug again. Spaced out the tensioner with a washer, but it may need another one. not bad for 20mins work all up, I think I have done this too much now, getting quick at it. There is a slight burning smell, not sure if it is just the alternator full of dust from sitting for ages or something else. I will find out when I take if for a test drive. Hopefully it wont burnt the car to the ground, but only one way to find out.

Car will have a few more things fixed up on it, and most likely be put up for sale. Need something bigger and easier to get kids in and out of. Missus doesn't want the EB so not sure what will happen yet.
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » March 5th, 2014, 3:51 pm

and now another part of the handbrake cable has snapped...I really cbf working on this thing again, never had so many issues with my car/s. Looks like there will be a week job some time soon to get the EB running and driving properly and fix and sell the ED with reg & roady maybe. I wish I had time to work on my cars lol
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » March 19th, 2014, 11:11 am

finally got off my ass to take some photos of the head/gasket from when the head went. Still pissed off about it, and that the mechanic didn't listen to me when I told him what should be used to do the job right - but what would I know, I don't have a piece of paper saying I know what to do.

I am unsure as to whether or not the head was machined while it was off, but if it wasn't that could certainly be part of the issue as to why it did another head gasket within 2 months
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby EBOOST » March 19th, 2014, 4:43 pm

You said to me it overheated a few times after the head gasket was done?
That alone would contribute
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby DJV8T5 » March 19th, 2014, 8:34 pm

it was over heating from the minute she got it back, it was never right after the job was done. I will never know exactly why it died, as I didn't do the head gasket on it, and never saw the old gasket or the head when it was off that time. Was never happy with the job that was done. Cant change it now anyway. This motor will go to scrap with the body of the Fairmont that I am parting out. I might pull the motor down fully before I scrap it, I don't know yet.
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » May 8th, 2014, 4:40 pm

so the ED decided to spew oil either out of the trans lines, or the engine, from the missus' place on Melrose Dr, up Silva Dr, to where the car is sitting now on Schultz Crt. Fire Brigade was called to clean up. So I am 99% sure it will get parted out and binned. I told the missus I am not fixing it due to her lack of care about the car, so there is no point. It hasn't been serviced since the AU motor was put in, and I think that is about 15xxx kms. I will have to get in and get the EB running and get that sorted for RWC/rego.

Ah the joys of people who wont look after their cars, and then complain when they fail.
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Previous

Return to The Showroom