Twin cam turbo beige t56 xf... on a budget

Post pics of your rides here

Twin cam turbo beige t56 xf... on a budget

Postby lukep187 » November 30th, 2013, 6:55 pm : ed40 Likes this post

Hey all, thought id post up my build thread here. Its more or less a duplicate of the one on xfalcon, but would just like to share it at a few places as im pretty excited about it. I know doing this conversion on budget sound like an oxymoron, but thats the way it has to be and its not my first conversion so are aware of all the tiny things that ends up costing a heap. For the fun, and to keep the cost down almost all of the work will be done by myself and or my old man so this is where 95% of the savings will come in. In the end i hope for something thats a unique, quick, fully functioning daily driver thats not going to generate so much unwanted attention that i get rolled by the po po every time i drive past them.

Ive previously owned a couple of quick turbo cars, most notably a 430whp sr20 180sx which ran an 11.7 @ 121mph way back in 02, that was my last one though so something quick is well overdue. This build had started off as an XG build well over a year ago now but got put on hold due to life happenings, only to be recently resurrected, then finally a curve ball was thrown when i stumbled across this badboy at the auctions.

Now i have to admit it wasnt love at first sight. Initially all i saw was a dusty shitbox with dull paint, in the worst colour i could have though of, with disassembled poo brown interior. Having a few giggles i continued to look over the car with my old man and noticed the door trims were just off because of the busted door handles, and was actually in really good nick. Quick look at the ODO and showed 163000km, looking over it some more and there was minimal rust, and the dull paint looked original and quite thick still, and started to picture my current build concept.

36hrs later it was sitting in my driveway. Gave it a quick wash n scrub, and CT18'd the engine bay down the car looked completely different. Next on the list was to fix up the interior and get it functioning again. Turns out it was just a drivers inner and outer door handle, and passenger outer. No biggy. Was feeling pretty excited at this point because i could see it was going to clean up really nice, and with where i pictured the build going be something really different... something which is important to me.

Got the car up on to the hoist and got some nice surprises. Lots of nolathane bushes, relatively new shocks, and immaculate condition underneath. The car has been kept well serviced and was well looked after for the majority of its life. The car isnt registered yet but starts great and is a good sounding engine, so wins all round really.

The plan now for the car is to put all the good bits i had from my XG ute - A set of 20s, xg xr6 seats, au 3.45 lsd, grille, stereo, xr6 map pockets, and the cloth inserts for the arm rests + some other gear ive probably forgotten. The car is staying cream, and the interior is staying brown. The seats are going to be repaired and then retrimmed in the same cloth that the original seats were, and im going to avoid putting any other late model falcon parts like consoles/dashes/twin lights etc as theres no avoiding the fact that this is a big square 80s car and i think its best embraced rather than hidden, if not i would have bought an ED. Exterior wise its going to be cream and black. The wheels are getting powder coated satin black through a friend, the window trimmings, upper parts of the doors, black plastic stripe on front bumper and whole rear bumper are getting painted in a satin black also... with the windows going dark. Few other bits are getting painted in the original cream or satin black to tidy up the exterior a bit.

First job was to restore the paint as best as possible. Seeing as it was in really good condition and mostly if not all original i thought this was really important for the car. Subsequently I spent hours on the net trolling through marketing bullshit and eventually stumbled on this awesome guide on autogeek. Well worth a read... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

Just doing the initial cleaning, using non-abrasive cleaners and all done by hand the results IMO are nothing short of amazing. Was really stoked how well the car came up and still cant believe it hasnt had any sort of cut/polish over it yet. Also while i was at it i couldnt resist dropping the 20s on. Sitting pretty high in the back but thats easily fixed with a set of springs i have sitting in the garage. Quite happy with how the front is sitting as i dont want another super low car, nor do i want clearance issues with the exhaust.

Now to the good part... drivetrain!

I had a few options in mind but the most likely path i was going down was getting a wrecked FG and dropping that in, running a turbo with low boost for a bit and backed with a built BTR. It has to be a daily and IMO its not a daily without AC and an overdriven gear. I had a megasquirt 3x i had built a while ago for the XG but then i got thrown yet another curveball when a friends ba 2 xr6 turbo with a t56 (which he sold a month ago) appeared at the auctions as a stat writeoff. Unfortunately for the new owner he'd peddled it into a tree smack on the passenger b-pillar in probably 2 or 3 weeks of owning it. We knew the car well as had worked on it. New mal wood clutch, atomic valve springs, 61lb injectors, intercooler, 4" dump, fuel pump and was making around 400rwhp. Also had a bunch of other goodies like 19s, bilstein shocks, new bushes all round, new discs etc all of which were not visible when you look at it. As they say in car ads, their loss is my gain and woddya know i won the auction, with this being a garden ornament 24hrs later. Happy days.. The car itself is/was immaculate. 113,000km.

Looks immaculate until you see this side... hopefully there werent any passengers in the front as it would have been untidy.

The previous owner before the one who binned it was hardcore about looking after it, so i was happy to pay a higher price for the wreck. With all but the left side being perfect on the car im looking to recover a bit of what i paid for it in the part out. Thats currently how the cars are sitting. I have to clear out a bit of garage space and have 2 cars which i need to sell before i can get cracking on the XF.

Progress is going to be slow till the new year but im going to keep the conversion simple for the moment to get the car up and running. Still deciding on the wheels as well. Not sure if i should put the 19s on from the xr6 and paint them black, or sell both and buy a nice wide set of 20s. The parting out of the xr6 will happen next week so everything bar the engine bay and trans will be up for grabs. Should be fun!
lukep187
Idling

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Re: Twin cam turbo beige t56 xf... on a budget

Postby lukep187 » November 30th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Sorry posted in wrong section, could it be moved to the build section plz?
lukep187
Idling

Postby misk » November 30th, 2013, 9:17 pm

mint as

edit - i typed this but it didn't post lol
how did you get the paint like it is?
what products etc, looks great.
Last edited by misk on November 30th, 2013, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby EF ECTIV » November 30th, 2013, 11:21 pm

love it... especially keeping the beige paint... will keep it looking somewhat similar to factory... will keep an eye on this build thread :drinks2:
EF ECTIV
Coming Soon: Ford Strokers 363 Windsor, BorgWarner s400 sx3 76mm, 60mm Turbosmart gate, TH400 box, Kaaz diff

2013 G6E Turbo

Stock daily

Allfast Torque Converters 08 9249 3066
EF ECTIV
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 166 times
Been Liked: 67 times

Postby lukep187 » December 1st, 2013, 6:50 am : SnipeZ Likes this post

EF ECTIV wrote:love it... especially keeping the beige paint... will keep it looking somewhat similar to factory... will keep an eye on this build thread :drinks2:

Thanks mate, glad you like the beige paint. Its not gong to be for everyone, but once the exterior is finished i think a few more people will have come around.

misk wrote:mint as

edit - i typed this but it didn't post lol
how did you get the paint like it is?
what products etc, looks great.

Cheers, after reading tat guide i posted a link to, i hit the car with a clay bar, then used an entire bottle of meguires show car glaze #7 and let it sit overnight. It a non-abrasive so you apply it with microfiber cloth, and bust a nut doing a wax on wax off that even mr. miyagi would be envious of. The next day i polished it up and re-applied a thinner coat, wiping that off once the whole car is done. By then the oxidisation on the paint had gone, as had all of the stains and marks in the paint and had really bought some life into the paint.... but you could feel it was really grippy, easily got finger marks and were hard to clean off.

The wax i used was meguires (i think) NXT tech wax 2.0. I nearly didnt buy it because it was $45 a bottle and was just going to get some cornuba paste, but after a bit i decided just to give it a try... and glad i did. So far i did the XF and 2 other cars, and still have 2/3 of the bottle left. Ust apply a thin even coat, let dry and wipe off. did half the car at a time and had the whole thing done in 15mins. The difference in how the paint feels is crazy. Aside from looking shinier, it really feels like you added a protective layer - is real slippery now, finger marks just rub off, and water no longer stains. IMO its a bit expensive (but not wasted money) so would like to hear any other suggestions if someone has some.

Hardest thing has been finding the stuff i want. Does anyone know of retailers that stock auto care products aside from supercheap and autobarn?

Finally with all the black plastics i just sprayed them with australian export wet look tyre shine. $3 or domething frpm SCA, toom 5 mins to do the whole car and works way better than "plastic restorers" lime back to black.
lukep187
Idling

Postby ed40 » December 1st, 2013, 11:11 am

Looking forward to the next steps mate. Awesome project.
Rollin wrote:At least I can deal with it while driving my boyfriend around in my car each weekend
ed40
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 191 times
Been Liked: 137 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Sunboost » December 1st, 2013, 12:37 pm

Going to keep track of this one! Always had a soft spot for the XFs. I liked the 80's wheels and spoiler, should have left them on! Such an 80's colour scheme as well lol, brown and beige.
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Postby lukep187 » December 2nd, 2013, 9:54 am

Sundeep wrote:Going to keep track of this one! Always had a soft spot for the XFs. I liked the 80's wheels and spoiler, should have left them on! Such an 80's colour scheme as well lol, brown and beige.

Yeah thought about putting spacers on the 15s and slamming it but nah - too much 80s for me lol. Ill put the spoiler back on it to see how it looks once ive settled on a set of wheels and have the exterior done. All things going to plan i'll probably start on it this week...

ed40 wrote:Looking forward to the next steps mate. Awesome project.

Thanks mate, cant wait to drive it lol.... drove it a few times when we did the clutch and was a lot quicker than i expected being a big heavy car. Should waken then xf up nicely ;)
lukep187
Idling

Postby Bipolar » December 2nd, 2013, 11:35 am

lukep187 wrote:Hardest thing has been finding the stuff i want. Does anyone know of retailers that stock auto care products aside from supercheap and autobarn?

Could buy Bowdens online. Expensive, but worth it. They use their own prodcucts on their epic muscle car collection.
RBKILA wrote:yes im sure 99% of the hate is just jealousy from morons.
the same sort of people you see at bathurst, wearing all the hrt gear and then you see them get into a camry in the car park lol
Bipolar

Has Liked: 741 times
Been Liked: 225 times

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby private9 » December 2nd, 2013, 11:37 am

Cool build mate, will be keeping track.
I kinda think the spoiler and wheels had a cool 80s look to them :D
private9
Hitting N2O

Been Liked: 185 times

Postby lukep187 » December 18th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Just a quick update... been busy of late. They say tis the season to be jolly (but not to do engine conversions). Been slowly chipping away at the exterior to tidy it up a bit. Have rubbed back the door sills/belts/weather strips/pillars/mirrors/wipers etc to paint black. Bumpers are coming off and the black plastic is getting painted in the same black to try and keep the amount of different colours to a minimum.

Picked up a set of 19x8.5 speedy cheetahs off the ford forums for the xf. Stoked with the price and rear tyres are as close to brand new as you'll get, should look nice but really dont set the car off in silver so will hold off on the pics till i get theym powder coated. They'll be off to be powder coated once my mates shop opens back up after the new year in a similar colour to the "suede" speedy does. Heres the speedy cheetah in suede

Have the au 3.45 diff and rear springs ready to go in, but with the 19s will have to get the front springs reset as they are sitting pretty high. 8.5s with the hub adapters stick out pretty far so should be pretty hellafuknflush drifting jdm sick cream xf. Be glad to get the hub adapters off the rear as not really keen on running decent power through them too. Was hoping to get the car registered but havent had a lot of luck selling my car so will have to hold off till then unfortunately.

private9 wrote:Cool build mate, will be keeping track.
I kinda think the spoiler and wheels had a cool 80s look to them :D

Thanks mate. Once i get the exterior sorted i'll put the spoiler back on and leave it for a week, see how it looks and if its what im after. I dont want a car that looks like its transported direct from the 80s, just embrace the 80sness of it. No need to hide its a square gumby looking car, but im hoping it can still look tough but when you take a good look at it think theres no reason why it should.... beige paint, brown interior and a car that most people dont think of as good looking for some reason.
lukep187
Idling

Postby misk » December 18th, 2013, 7:15 pm

i think with some nice wheels the 80s shit will look shit hot in fresh coat of paint!
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby lukep187 » January 20th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Just checking in. Not much progress on the actual car, but been busy sourcing parts, but mainly stripping the xr6. The XF will most likely not see the road before the engine conversion now as once the xr6 has gone, the xf will go up on stands in its place and get stripped down as i want to get started on it asap... Was hoping to run it for a few months before starting the conversion but getting started has been delayed quite a bit.

Managed to drop a borrowed trade plate on the old girl and took it for a cruise the other day and are really impressed with it. Car feels and sounds tight, engine felt strong, hardly any rattles, firm bushes and no clapped out shocks - all of which are a pet hate of mine.

Also if anyone is after some ba / xr6 parts, let me know. Would like to move them asap, still have the bilsteins, 3.73 irs lsd, 19s, and a bunch of other parts. Will post up a for sale ad in the spares classifieds.
lukep187
Idling

Postby lukep187 » February 18th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Had the xr6 stripped and ready to be taken away today, but on monday got thrown a curve ball in the way of an offer which i couldnt refuse so the projects made somewhat of a change of direction. This will mean the end of the XF for this project as all the gear plus a bunch of stuff still unsold off of the xr6 will now be going into a harvest green ba futura.

Build idea is somewhat the same, take a grandpa car and make it look tough without changing anything external like xr6 body kit etc, and will be sticking with the stock body colour and satin black theme. Have already started work on the new car but will start a new thread once its more underway) , the stock na engine from the ba will be going into my xg ute though behind an au t5. Build should only be 3 or 4 weeks away as the swap now is relatively simple, made easier by the fact ill have both ba's sitting next to each other. Plan at first for the ba is to swap all the suspension, brakes, diff, and any other parts which are in better condition and get it running, pillage the last few parts of the xr6 then get the shell scrapped / whatever is due to happen to it.

The XF will be finished up over the weekend, 14s and spoiler put back on then sold. Was going to keep it and turn it into something tougher than a daily driver but if im realistic thatll just mean the car will sit around in the yard gathering dust for the next 18 months and then have to be sold.
lukep187
Idling

Postby Rollin » February 18th, 2014, 9:29 pm : lukep187 Likes this post

Hopefully you can sell the XF to someone who will appreciate it and not just some random idiot who will trash it...

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby lukep187 » February 19th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Rollin wrote:Hopefully you can sell the XF to someone who will appreciate it and not just some random idiot who will trash it...

Yeah same mate, spent a lot of time on it and likely saved it from getting scrapped so would be good to see it looked after for a while. I'd keep it if i wasnt on a tight budget, but i am so thats how things go sometimes. I'll put it up on xfalcon and the other ford forums first so hopefully its sold off there, there arent many super original low k xf's anymore so should sell ok so long as i dont muff the price up.
lukep187
Idling

Return to The Showroom