The yard find AU XR6

Post pics of your rides here

The yard find AU XR6

Postby vegabass » June 28th, 2014, 4:42 pm

So,

I have been super busy with the first 1-2 years of my business Leather FX and have been using my EL XR6 and the AU wagon for daily and many many long haul trips from ACT to VIC. all of which both cars have been faultless and efficient.

The EL developed a misfire about 2000kms after a major service which I was just to busy to fix.

So it made sense to buy another car that needed some work :blush: :confused: :blink:

Here is my series 1 AU XR6 VCT

For what it is I am rather impressed. It has been sitting for about 2 years and was parked due to suspected warn out clutch. It is as stock as a rock as has been owned from new by a female public servant. Has factory optioned 17" wheels and even still has the brake stone guard plates. As mentioned before it has been sitting for 2 years so has it fair share of grime and grot all over it. These pics are as it was delivered by the tow truck.

Then I opened the doors. Well, what an over sight on this purchase :banghead:
It looks in pretty good nick with the seats not having to much bolster sag and no rips or tears. Although when I looked in the back I found heaps of this stuff

It was even growing in the boot and down the sides of the front seats (on the carpet)

So, I did want any reasonable bloke would do

My plans are to fix it up a little such as leather trim, get rid of the series 1 grey, new stereo, some of my electronic products like parking sensors, cameras, dash cams yadda yadda, a new clutch, a good service and fresh fuel. From there I will probably sign write it and use it.

Or I could get a cage put it and take it racing lol
Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

vegabass
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 120 times

Re: The yard find AU XR6

Postby vegabass » July 18th, 2014, 6:12 pm

So I have put the carpet and seats back in, got the new clutch done, sealed up the holes in the wiper cowl area, drained the fuel, and put new plugs in. I drove it to get a RW and all it needed was a steering rack boot, a indicator globe (all the orange was burnt off) and lube the seat belts so they retract a little quicker.

So with all that done and rego on it I have been driving it about and love it.

Long story short, it needs suspension work so I have ordered the following

Wheel bearings
Sway bar D bushes
Sway bar link bushes
All ball joints

I finally got the radio code from my local ford dealer only to find out the CD player is rooted. Left me with the ABC local news radio. I am up to date on the abolishment of the carbon tax :/

So I ordered some replacment speakers for it thinking that it will be a very mild stereo build I ordered

Cerwin Vega 5X9 HED's for the rear
Cerwin Vega Pro series 6.5" mid range drivers for the front
Matching Vega tweeters.

I totally under estimated these bastards, I have no idea on how I am getting these to fit.

This afternoon I tried to get the old CD player out to put my Pioneer in. I bent the clips the wrong way which resulted in this.
Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

vegabass
Breaking Traction

Postby apoc » July 18th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Nice work, looks good! How good are vct AU's, I absolutely love mine. Responded verrry well to intake, exhaust and j3!

Good colour too :D
1974 XB GT here, 1975 XB GT, 1972 XA GT, 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, 1946 Jailbar, 1983 XE GL, KTM 200EXC, XT500SM & various wrecks
EB Falcon, AU2 XR8, AU3 XR6 here
1992 Nissan Patrol - 2" lift, 33s, TB42e, LPG here
2014 FG GT 335 - Silhouette, ZF here
apoc
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 100 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby ClassicAU » July 18th, 2014, 8:51 pm

LOL! Fvcken AU head units!! Here is the aftermath of the removal of mine from my latest AU:

3C Volkswagen Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model - Candy White, 17's, DSG, Bi-Xenon lights, Euro lux!

*laughs maniacally* “I can do burnouts every day for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it! They're always awesome!” - Mike Musto
ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 109 times

Postby apoc » July 18th, 2014, 9:31 pm

I dont know how its so hard? Cut 2x 150mm of coat hanger, bend in a u, jam it in then pull it all out ;) done 3 that way. They are a prick to get started though

I've got a s3 CD/radio in good nick if anyone wants it &P
I
1974 XB GT here, 1975 XB GT, 1972 XA GT, 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, 1946 Jailbar, 1983 XE GL, KTM 200EXC, XT500SM & various wrecks
EB Falcon, AU2 XR8, AU3 XR6 here
1992 Nissan Patrol - 2" lift, 33s, TB42e, LPG here
2014 FG GT 335 - Silhouette, ZF here
apoc
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 136 times
Been Liked: 100 times

1992 Ford Falcon

Postby vegabass » July 18th, 2014, 9:56 pm

I got the wife to record the removal. but freakin Iphone wont upload it. POS. Samsung for life.

vegabass
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » July 19th, 2014, 12:48 pm

I just cut a coathanger, do the same with VTs as well. Easy job. Those speakers are massive...where were you planning to put the tweeters?
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 216 times
Been Liked: 88 times

Postby vegabass » July 19th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Fitting the speakers will certainly take a little more effort that just screwing them in. I think the BIGGEST problem is the tweeters. I think there would be enough room to put between the door grab handle and where it meets at the dash but there is a bolt that holds the trim on in the way.

Once I get the door trim off I will be able to look for a tweeter solution.

Trim should be here this week as well :)

vegabass
Breaking Traction

Postby DJV8T5 » July 19th, 2014, 5:37 pm

you should be able to do something easy to make a custom trim to fit it in nicely. I reckon you might have some skills in that area lol
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 216 times
Been Liked: 88 times

Postby vegabass » July 19th, 2014, 6:42 pm

ha ha errr don't put to much pressure on me. This will be like a female giving birth (if you have ever seen that you will know its just not human)

I have wired up my trusty Pioneer and fruck me its loud. I have never heard Frozen so loud.

During the "extraction" of the old CD unit I must have put enough shock through the dash to blow most of the back light globes in the AC / fan panel. I have pulled it all apart ready for the trip to Jaycar tomorrow.

Then its a very busy week :/

vegabass
Breaking Traction

Postby galapogos01 » July 20th, 2014, 9:21 am

Nice fine. A good cut and a touch up on that bar and it should come up mint. That mould is crazy though! Has it got a water leak?

Love the HU destruction. Those splits look sweet.
galapogos01
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 302 times
Been Liked: 89 times

1995 Ford Fairmont

Return to The Showroom