Lotus's EB XR8

Post pics of your rides here

Re: Lotus's EB XR8

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 5:38 pm

huggiebear wrote:the diff looks good all painted. what ratio is in the new diff? also is that exhaust 3"?

Diff is a 3.45 out of an ED XR6. Was supposed to be reconed and it is tight so i suspect it was.
Exhaust is 3" from cats to rear.
lotus
Idling

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 5:41 pm

After finally getting it back together and after checking I tightened everything up properly, took it for a run and all worked well. No more diff noise and seems the suspension has tightened up and the ride is not too hard.Picks up a bit better but need to get the cats done and put in new CO2 sensors which wiil help as well.
Here is a few pics of the car at Willowbank at the Real Deal Disaster Appeal Day.

A few when on the track

lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Put the badges on the garnish today to finish the rear off, until I put the rear wing on. Also had a EL XR8 badge in the shed so I thought I might as well use it.
Now I will have to change the colour of the sticker on the right and mabye get it a bit bigger.

Looks itself again with the side skirt,front and rear bars repaired and painted.

One from rear ground level. Dosn't show much for all the time it took but at least it's all clean and different than the usual black.

lotus
Idling

Postby SnyperEB » January 14th, 2010, 5:50 pm

Looks awesome mate.
[EBGLT]
SnyperEB
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 105 times

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 5:51 pm

Got around to replacing the cats. Since they were the origional ones fitted,I thought after 16yrs and 240k they might need replacing.
Looking at them after they were off, I noticed they had been "modified" at some time.

The old cats

New ones fitted

The "modification" done to the cats!!

I suppose could say they were "performance high flow" cats!!!
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Some pics of the mirrors and door trims.

Looking at making an alloy plate to go where the ashtrays fit in the rear doors and covering them with some grey leather. Want to do something with the door handles and possibly window winders just to finish them off properly.Also get the driver's seat redone.
lotus
Idling

Postby eb-baby » January 14th, 2010, 5:59 pm

I love the ef/l mirrors on boxcars, looks so good! I've got them on my car and no one else has liked them so far.
"Break traction, not hearts."
eb-baby
Cruising

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Well that's pretty well up to date on what I have done.
Have another set of rear calipers to go on as the r/h piston is sticking on(more brake dust than the left side).
Picked up a set of black door handles and will see how they look.Otherwise I will paint the grey ones.
Modify the AVO cluster I got to fit the XR8 (with Smartlock).
Fit the woodgrain dash surrounds I just got.
And finally fit the momo leather/woodgrain steering wheel that came from Malaysia.
Still have to get the CO2 sensors, fit the Unichip and get it tuned.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 6:21 pm

eb-baby wrote:I love the ef/l mirrors on boxcars, looks so good! I've got them on my car and no one else has liked them so far.

I think they look great, but the main reason I fitted them is because they can be pushed around towards the window.
I've got a double garage with the EB and an AU XR8 so it gets a bit close when going inbetween the two of them.
Anyway I recon they look a lot better than the originals.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » January 14th, 2010, 6:33 pm

SnyperEB wrote:Looks awesome mate.

Thanks for the comment.
It does look good in the pics but if you get close you can see the scars of the original paint job.
But you expect that as it's now around 17yrs since it was sprayed and I think it's had a bit of a hard life
before I came across it.
That might be the final thing to do to finish it off.
lotus
Idling

Postby LUXO_8 » January 15th, 2010, 3:06 pm

that looks fantastic ...awesome work :thumbsup:
Parfrey wrote:I strongly urge everyone to boost everything haha.
LUXO_8
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1004 times
Been Liked: 132 times

1991 Ford Fairlane

Postby SnyperEB » January 15th, 2010, 3:10 pm

Always liked that front bar was going to get it a while back from SSV.
[EBGLT]
SnyperEB
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 105 times

Postby pHaT`eL » January 15th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Looks the goods. Only thing id change is that XR8 badge. I woulda put that in where "Falcon S" is and had it painted blue too.
[XGZ-566] 2009 BF3 XT EGAS WAGON
| 19x9 & 19X10 WORK EUROLINE'S | LOWERED |

[MR-PGR] 1980 XD FAIRMONT WAGON
| EFI WINDSOR | 14X8 & 14X10 12 SLOTTER'S | VENETIANS |

PREVIOUS RIDES: [WANTD-6] 2002 AU3 EGAS FORTE WAGON | [POPS4L] 1995 EF GLi WAGON | [EBW-302] 1991 EB GL WAGON V8 | [PHATEL] 1998 EL FAIRMONT TURBO

phat GUARD ROLLING | 0429 093 302 | facebook
pHaT`eL

Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 242 times

1991 Ford Falcon

Postby lotus » January 15th, 2010, 7:22 pm

pHaT`eL wrote:Looks the goods. Only thing id change is that XR8 badge. I woulda put that in where "Falcon S" is and had it painted blue too.

I was going to paint the XR8 badge blue but thought it wouldn't stand out against the Black Pearl.
Will have to see if the XR8 badge can fit where the "Falcon S" badge is as that area is recessed.
The "falcon S " badge is the original one from the garnish I took off the car and the original "XR8"
on the garnish is a sticker so I couldn't remove it.
I don't mind the later badges and thought it looked better under the tail light than sitting under the 'ABS'
sticker.
lotus
Idling

Postby Uncle Fungus » January 16th, 2010, 7:43 pm

This is such a nice car. Makes me want to hurry up and get on with painting my wheels wells etc. My wheel wells, chipped body kit and stone-chipped windscreen are the only things that let me Fairmont down. Gotta get them sorted ASAP!
EB2 Fairmont Ghia V8.
Uncle Fungus
Idling

Postby lotus » March 9th, 2011, 10:11 pm

It's been over 12 mths since I have put anything up on here about the EB, so this is what has gone on with the car in the last 12 mths

Got the EB up on stands to do a few things to it so I got the rims redone back to like new. No more gutter rash and peeling clear off the rims

How they look now

Have had the EB in the shed again and finally after about 5/6 weeks should have it back on the road.
Had to look at the rear brakes as driver's side caliper piston was sticking on (more dust than the other side) slightly.
Replaced them with some recond ones and fitted new ECB Greens.
Also changed the gear on the speedo drive since I changed to 3.45 diff a while ago, so the speedo should read a bit closer to the actual speed now.
Had to pull out the radiator,fan and shroud to fix a water leak at the motor
and while doing that replaced the harmonic balancer as the rubber between the inner and outer steel sections was starting to come out.
Noticed the battery tray had a fairly large hole in it from battery acid coming out at some time so thought I would replace it. What a job that is !!
Also painted the engine bay where the acid had taken it off while I was at it.

lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » March 9th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Since I had the radiator and fan out, I decided to fit EL fans.
Got a wiring harness from BPT Motorsport since I couldn't be bothered making one up myself and didn't have the time to (still working 12hr days).
You may have noticed I tend to paint things blue on the EB,well things havn't changed.
The new battery tray

The pullies (couldn't get the one off the alternator or it would have been done as well!!)

All back together

Had to get the front bar repaired again, so while that was getting done I decided to get the Driver's seat retrimmed as it was getting a bit sad at the usual places and the frame needed repair due to it being in an accident in the origional car the interior came from.
Also fitted the AVO dash as I had the tacho recalbriated for the V8 and finally fitted the woodgrain surrounds on the dash and the MOMO steering wheel.

The passenger's seat looks a bit sad now, so it looks like I'll have to get it
done as well just to make it look right!!

Just need to find a woodgrain ashtray to complete it.
Anyone know where I might pick one up??

Fitted new 225/55/16 tyres to the front and have 245/55/16 on the rear.
Looks good with thr refurbished rims.

Also colour coded the metal surround around the rear door 1/4 glass.
How it used to look

How it is now

Just waiting to get the front bar back and it will be ready to GO!!!
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » March 9th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Have had the passenger's seat retrimmed so now they both look the same.Also have fitted stainless steel mesh on the front bar,just to give it a different look and wiil be getting the GT rear wing painted and fitted in the next few weeks.
Finally got the cluster to work but still not happy with a couple of things with it but hopefully will find someone who might be able to solve them for me. But it does look good!!!
That will be all for a while as I want to start working on my AU XR8 putting in a leather interior, bigger front and rear brakes,upgrading the gearbox, new clutch, some T3 heads, Trickflow mainfold and a Crow cam just to give it a bit more Go!
After that's done I'll look at putting the GT40P heads and Explorer mainfold on the EB and mabye a 220 cam just to get it going a bit better.
Then except for painting it will be completed. But you never know!!!

Anyway have done a few thing while it's been idle. Have replaced the blue aluminium grill with stainless mesh and also fitted it in the lower part of the front bumper.
Replaced the timing cover as the old one was leaking cooant for a while and gave a coat of paint
Engine bay looks pretty good now
Finally got the rear sports wing on. Went for this instead of the GT wing as the sides go all the way to the rear window instead of halfway.

So this is how it looks now

Well that's about all that has been done up till now. Just getting a few more things to fit into her but nothing major, just some things to finish off.
lotus
Idling

Postby EF ECTIV » March 10th, 2011, 1:54 am

looking the goods... the interior is especially nice.. Not a big fan of the blue in the bay though, wouldve looked in a
black pearl or something... But overall its still a very nice example of a boxcar..
EF ECTIV
Coming Soon: Ford Strokers 363 Windsor, BorgWarner s400 sx3 76mm, 60mm Turbosmart gate, TH400 box, Kaaz diff

2013 G6E Turbo

Stock daily

Allfast Torque Converters 08 9249 3066
EF ECTIV
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 166 times
Been Liked: 67 times

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Just an update on what has and is happening to the EB.

Well I'm now the official owner of the EB as the wife now has her "Dream Car", a BMW Z4 convertable,with of course personalized plates (W1LD 1).
So now I can do something to make the "Devil" go a bit better.

With this!!

Hopefully be here within the week and start tidying it up before the transplant. Will also give the engine bay a good clean before fitting.
This should give the EB a bit more "GO" but still be a good cruiser.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Took off all the accessories and brackets and gave them a bit of a clean up.
Removed the wiring and gave the motor a bit of a clean,removed the rocker cover to see how everything looked.
Very happy so far. Just have to replace the rear main and front timing seals while I've got the chance and give the motor a bit of colour.

Also have to see about getting a pulley made to bolt onto the harmonic balancer so it lines up with the AU gear and get some new headers.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Getting the motor ready for a bit of colour

Don't know if to paint the whole motor blue or leave the sump black.
Hopefully done in the next few days
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Finally got the motor painted.
How it is at the moment

Sump turned out good.

The brackets ready to be fitted when the motor is in.

Thinking about painting the upper manifold the colour of the car (Black Pearl) just to be a bit different.
Should be done in the next few days.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Just put the manifold and brackets on to see what it going to look like

Put clear on the rocker covers after these shots and they came up a lot better.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Just a couple of shots of the rocker covers and manifold plate with clear on them just to give a better shine.

Hopefully I've solved the pulley problem.Talked to a mate (neighbour) about the problem as he has a EB 347 track car and he put underdrive pullies on it to slow down the accessories as he revs up to about 6500-7000. He had a spare underdrive pully for the balancer from the motor he just destroyed (another story). So I reversed the pully onto the balancer and put some washers between the pulley and balancer.

Just one question, the underdrive pully's diamater is approx 124mm while the pulley for the AU is approx144mm.
Should this cause any problems as I suspect it will run everything slower than they are going now.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Got the pullies and bolts back today. Just put it together to see how they look.Hopefully the motor will be in the car in a couple of weeks

lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Since I can't start changing the motors over till next week ,i thought i'd get the electric bases in for the seats.

The bases

First thing was to find where the power source was that operated the seats and power windows ( car does not have power windows. yet!!).
As you can see i looked everywhere for the Accessories wire connection.

Found the connection behind the fuse box!!

So after finding the connection found the Acc wire was connected to nothing going away. Fitted connection onto wire and fitted it into the conn block and made up a loom to feed the seats.

Feed the loom behind the cluster and down to under the console. Connected it to the loom I got with the seats, cut a slot in the carpet and feed the loom to both seats.

Fitted the bases to my old seats to see if they worked ok in the car before I start cutting into the leather one's.

Everything worked fine, took the old seats out and checked how the switches were going to fit on the leather seats.
Found that the side covers for the electric seats were different to the one's for the sports seats. They were longer and pushed into the centre section of the sport seat.
You can see the difference between the two.

Decided to cut the end to suit the seat and will put some rubber tubing along the cut so not to damage the seat.This is how much I had to cut off.

This is how it looks on my old seats (used for test fitting)

Will fit the bases and side covers to my leather seats sometime this week and then decide weather to leave the sides dark grey or paint them a lighter grey like the original ones.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Finished fitting the electric seats in today. The passenger's side wasn't too bad but the driver's side is way more involved.
The final product for the passenger's side.

With the driver's seat, I had to remove the standard height adjuster and mechanism under the seat. Removed the lever and attachments and had to hacksaw (blade only)the spot welds that held on the hexagonal hollow tube to the side of the frame. With that gone I was left with the metal shaft across the seat frame. Removed the pivoted gear on each end, covered the seat and leather with heat blankets and then cut the shaft and spring in half using hand grinder.
The shaft after removal.

Once youv'e gone this far there is no turning back!!
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:21 pm

After removal of the shaft I had to drill the holes to fit the switch on the side of the seat. This had been reinforced with another plate over the seat base.

Used a right angled drill attachment to drill the holes through the reinforcing as the holes were already drilled in the original frame.The rear part of the original height adjuster justs slides up into the seat out of the way.

The completed driver's side fitted to the car.

Both seats work well. The only problem I seem to have is with the seat belt buckles.I was told the seat bases came off a NA fairlane and the seat belt tongue and buckles must be different to the later belts. The tongue of my belts don't fit the buckles properly. The earlier tongues must be wider but thinner. I cannot use the buckles off the original bases as they are secured with one bolt and are straight where the electric ones are held on with two bolts and are a bolted to the base on an angle.
Will have to try to find some buckles from a NC fairlane or a DC LTD.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » August 28th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Started to get the motor ready to pull out.

Will finish unbolting from the top and then put it up on stands and remove gearbox,headers ect and then lift the motor out.
I have this week off so I hope to get most of it done and remedy any problems I might come across.
lotus
Idling

Postby EBOOST » August 29th, 2011, 7:38 am

good job so far mate.
cheers josh.
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby JUZXR8 » August 29th, 2011, 8:49 am

Looking good mate!

One thing i regretted when i changed an engine in my old EA, was that i didnt paint the engine bay, so make sure you do or you will look back and wonder why you never did!
Rollin wrote:Were you heavily into ice when you bought them?
JUZXR8
Cruising

Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Postby lotus » August 29th, 2011, 11:23 am

JUZXR8 wrote:Looking good mate!

One thing i regretted when i changed an engine in my old EA, was that i didnt paint the engine bay, so make sure you do or you will look back and wonder why you never did!

Will give the engine bay a good clean when the engine is out and see how it looks. Might need just a good polish, but if not will look a giving it a repaint of Black Pearl and a coat of Clear.Either way hopefully it will come up alright.
lotus
Idling

Postby huggiebear » August 29th, 2011, 3:22 pm

i put DC LTD elec seats in my DA LTD (it too had elec seats) looms differ but i didnt have any issues with seat buckles

i also have my leather seats for sale front and rear elec fronts $100 because the drivers base leather is stuffed, incase you know anyone
Sante des femmes www.viagrasansordonnancefr.com pharmaciens de Belgique
huggiebear
Full Boost

Has Liked: 68 times
Been Liked: 29 times

1992 Ford Fairlane

Postby lotus » August 29th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Apparently seat belts were changed around some time in 92. The tongue is narrower and thicker on the later belts.
Have tried the buckle in EA/NA belts and they work fine. Might have to fit EA belts in till I find some from an NC/DC that will fit.
lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » September 1st, 2011, 12:59 am

Got a fair bit done today.Removed the gearbox,headers and then the motor.

I don't think the gearbox and bell housing had ever been cleaned, not even when the clutch was replaced before I bought the car.

This is how the fork came out. Will have to straighten the clip.

This is how the throw out bearing and housing fell out!!

I'm pretty sure there not supposed to be like this.

lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » September 1st, 2011, 1:01 am

Will remove what I can from the engine bay and give it a good clean tomorrow. Will then see if it needs repainting.

Looks like the rear seal was leaking as well as the rear of the inlet manifold gasket.I think is where most of the oil was leaking from lately.

Gave the box , bell housing and the other parts a good clean. They look a hell of a lot better now!!

lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » September 4th, 2011, 9:27 pm

After giving the engine bay a good clean decided to freshen it up a bit with some new paint. Took the front bar and headlights out to to fit the oil cooler and hoses when the engine is back in.

Decided to paint the firewall rubber insulation black to give it that as new look.

Before

After

Also gave the K frame a shade of grey. Since I couldn't match the original colour decided to paint it all the same shade.

Started to paint the rest of the bay. Thought I would do the passenger's side first as I thought it would be the hardest side with all the fuel/brake & a/c lines and a bit of wiring.

Before

After

Gave the power steering a fresh look as well.

lotus
Idling

Postby lotus » September 4th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Then it was time for the gearbox. After it was cleaned it looks like the box has been apart at some time, possibably a recon. The extension housing just came up so good.

Gave it a bit of colour.

Image.

Will do the driver's side of the bay tomorrow after work and start on some other parts so that they will be ready when it all goes back together.
lotus
Idling

Postby justa6 » September 5th, 2011, 2:57 pm

a lot of work going into it. not sure on the blue or the wing, i liked the boot lip.. interiour looks smick.
manley rods, sps pistons, billet surecam, gt4202r 1.15, 6boost manifold, 60mm gate, 4" exhaust, nizpro plenum, 80mm throttle body, bosch 2000cc injectors, 2x044, -8 fuel line, standard fuel rail modified -8 in-out. c4 box 3000 stall, standard diff with 31 spline axles, full spool.
477rwkw 24psi. 9.80 @ 145mph
justa6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 525 times

1999 Ford xr6 ute

PreviousNext

Return to The Showroom