Contaminate fuel suspected to have damaged cars across Melbo

Latest News

Contaminate fuel suspected to have damaged cars across Melbo

Postby Commando » August 7th, 2009, 9:38 am

Antonia Magee
August 07, 2009 12:00am

THOUSANDS of Victorians' cars have seized this week after a mystery fuel contamination.

The RACV and the Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce have reported cars needing urgent repairs for severely damaged engines, possibly as a result of contaminated fuel.

The source and type of contamination is still not known, but mechanics have reported most samples coming from small, unbranded fuel outlets.

RACV chief vehicle mechanic Michael Case urged all motorists to keep watch for signs of contaminated fuel when filling up at petrol stations.

Have you been affected or suspect you've bought contaminated fuel? Email Us.
Or phone our news desk on (03) 9292 1226

Vehicles that were running roughly, misfiring or were hard to start could be suffering from the fuel contamination, he said.

Motorists should look for a film of white powder on the exhaust pipe, an illuminated engine check light, a sickly sweet smell from the fuel and exhaust pipe, as well as white powder on spark plugs.

"If your vehicle shows any of these signs, stop driving immediately as continuing to drive the vehicle may result in extensive engine damage," Mr Case said.

Drivers have been advised to tow damaged cars to a qualified mechanic and ask for a fuel sample to be taken and analysed. Petrol stations where fuel was bought should also be contacted.

Melbourne fuel expert Ken Gracey, owner of Dyan Fuels, said he had never seen anything like the contaminated samples he had tested.

"Most petrol is a gold colour, this stuff is crystal clear," Mr Gracey said.

"Also, when I pulled the spark plugs out they looked like they had been dipped in talcum powder."

Mr Gracey had received calls from customers from most northern suburbs and some from the southeast.

Mobil service station spokesman Alan Bailey said it had received only a small number of calls.

"Based on the checks we have done to date we have no reason to suspect there is a widespread problem at Mobil," Mr Bailey said.

The VACC is believed to have met several Victorian mechanics on Wednesday night to discuss the issue.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Re: Contaminate fuel suspected to have damaged cars across Melbo

Postby Malakai » August 7th, 2009, 10:15 am

That's crazy! Do they know what it is yet?
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 32 times

Postby Commando » August 7th, 2009, 10:33 am

Dunno, but I think I'll fill up locally before heading in to Melbourne tomorrow! I just can't bring myself to mistreat my A+++ mint condition 370k 4.0 with stuck #4 plug & oily #2 plug by chucking some dodgy fuel in it :P
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby stav50 » August 7th, 2009, 1:52 pm

LOL. would be handy if they could give the stations that ppl fille dup from, or approx locations or something, cos then ppl could maybe do something about it before they get those symptoms.
'03 BA XR6
Auto, LPG, Tint, Towbar.....sunroof.
stav50
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 0 time

2003 Ford XR6

Postby EFFalcon » August 7th, 2009, 1:53 pm

atleast its not LPG.. i'm safe :P
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby Steady » August 7th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Clear liquid that smells sweet....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

It is the simplest alcohol, and is a light, volatile, colourless, flammable, toxic liquid with a distinctive odor that is very similar to but slightly sweeter than ethanol (drinking alcohol).[1]

I am getting a 1000l cube right now, all I need is an address.
Steady
Breaking Intake Welds

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 10 times

1993 Ford XR8 Sprint

Postby Phillis » August 7th, 2009, 5:52 pm

EFFalcon wrote:atleast its not LPG.. i'm safe :P

pfft you reckon!? have you seen all the oils and shite that go into safeway and caltex LPG to dilute it?!

Supagas 100% butane ftw man!
'94 EF XR6 Wagon- Build Thread here

pHaT`eL wrote:Editing posts never really gets old :)

I have a tiny tiny penis.
Phillis
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby SnyperEB » August 7th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Probably cheap fuel outlets taking short cuts with additives in the fuel so they can charge you a good price for only half the fuel!!
[EBGLT]
SnyperEB
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 105 times

Postby Frost » August 9th, 2009, 1:44 pm

On the news the other night they rekon that silcone oil was added by mistake.
Frost
Full Boost

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Postby dynafuels » August 10th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Hi Guys, I just wanted to throw some information your way to try to help you out with your fuel purchases, and to clear up a few grey areas, that didn't go to air on Today Tonight, or appear in Fridays Herald Sun.

1/ I personally don't believe there is any silicone contamination in the fuel.
2/ The fuel problems is not isolated to one brand of fuel.
3/ To the best of my ability, all I can tell you, there is to much ethanol in the fuel ( sorry i cant elaborate) with numbers.
4/ What fuel should you use? Again i cant say for obvious reasons ( i like to stay out of court) but until this situation clears up, i HIGHLY recommend you only BUY HI OCTANE fuel, and by that i mean fuel that is NOT ethanol enriched, to raise it from 91 to 95 RON, simply stick to Straight 98 ( NOT 100) that also includes Ethanol.
5/ If you get a problem switch the car off immediately and get it to your mechanic, asap. Ensure the mechanic, drains your tank, changes your fuel filter, checks your spark plug leads, changes your spark plugs, checks you O2 sensor, and your Catalytic convertor.

If funds allow, also change the oil, and filter.. the powder can wash down your bores and damage your valves and cause premature wear to your pistons while it is busy mixing with your engine oil. If you drive a BA 6 cyl also be extra careful as the powered can cause the valves to Jam open, and the lobes to be knocked off your cam shaft.

Finally, If you are planning on making a Claim against the servo you bought the fuel from, wait for 1 week, because if you lodge a claim for $75.00 dollars, and the problem comes back, and it costs you another $250.00, the second claim with be disallowed, because at the bottom of the claim form, you sign an indemnity against further claims.

So what a week, to make sure the car is fine, before you complete any paper work.

I hope this is of help to you guys..

Best regards
Ken Gracey
Dyna Fuels Australia
dynafuels
Cranking Over

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby LTDHO » August 11th, 2009, 7:31 am

Thanks for the details Ken
Going of the rails on a crazy train