Camry 5SFE Diag Codes

This is a general discussion forum, open to all participants

Camry 5SFE Diag Codes

Postby Sunboost » December 5th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Yo fags,

There's no 4cyl section on this forum so I'll post this here.

I have been thrown a Camry 5SFE 2.2L I4 to fix from my aunty :( Don't have fuk all time to do it but today I've been stuffing around for 4 hours trying to work out what's wrong with it.

Story goes, the car is alright when cold but when it hits operating temperature the engine light randomly comes on and it begins stutters on acceleration and sometimes dies, and when it starts up again (which it always does, even if it takes a few cranks to do it) it will run ultra rich for a period then go back to normal before doing it all again randomly. The CEL (check engine light) isn't always on when it does this.

Now, I looked up all sorts of stupid fuk off info from around the world which suggested MAF, and then EGR - both of which this year/model do not have!! I also thought it was dizzy or some kinda TFI, but it has spark when it cranks after cutting off.

I have now eventually found a site that gives a step by step on getting OBD codes. So I've done that and it's thrown me the following faults;

- Ignition signal
- Water temp signal
- IAT signal
- AFM signal
- TPS signal

That's like almost everything.. so I'm guessing ECU is a fried knt.

Anyone have any further input or experience with these cars, or had a similar problem with one???

All the 5SFE SVX10 Camry's at Pinch a Part have no motors or engine looms!! THE FUKK!!

Google is a bitch.
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Re: Camry 5SFE Diag Codes

Postby oneredED » December 5th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Poor earth?
2013 VW Up!
2014 KTM 250SX-F
AUIII Ute
oneredED
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Postby misk » December 5th, 2009, 6:51 pm

I hear this is the primary response a camryn will give when the driver is not of true Asian heratige

If it's running rich you would have to assume that the afm is fucked. But it's strange that it's doing it only when hot.

Although it could be a combitnation.

Perhaps the engine does quote realise the ecu is up to operating temp so it's still trying to dump in alot of fuel and the afm, tps or ignition signal (which I think are dizzya for these engines) are gving up or being weird when hot which seems alot worse due to the rich mixture.

I'd replace the temp Seder and afm first then the tps and ecu, depinding on part price and what's available
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby galapogos01 » December 5th, 2009, 7:02 pm

it obviously can't have 100 fucked sensors. check all wiring, connectors etc for moisture and corrosion, then think about swapping the ECU.
galapogos01
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 302 times
Been Liked: 89 times

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby Sunboost » December 6th, 2009, 9:21 am

Sorry, it doesn't have a AFM - just a MAP sensor, and I replaced it..
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Postby lawler » December 6th, 2009, 10:54 am

Illd be trying the both water temp sensor and air intake temp sensor

tho relays and earth would also be a good idea
lawler
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Postby misk » December 6th, 2009, 11:09 am

lol oh i missed that.
problem is pick a part want $60 for an ECU regardless of the car its off.
you really just need to borrow one to see what it does.
but from when my EB was giving me hassles, the ecu was the last thing i replace, and not 100% sure if that was the problem, but it ran after changing it
it cant really be much else, if it wasnt running rich then i would be looking at the dizzy, but that cant cause the engine to dump too much fuel in
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby Sunboost » December 6th, 2009, 3:27 pm

I reset the ECU last night and took it for a long drive. Hooked up diagnostics again today and it's only spitting 22 for ECT. After I did that the car wouldn't start, so I unplugged the ECT and it fired up, then plugged it in while it was running and it died again. I think we have a winner.
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Return to General Discussion