Brads EL Fairmont Ghia V8 now Sold :'(

Post pics of your rides here

Brads EL Fairmont Ghia V8 now Sold :'(

Postby braad » May 14th, 2012, 10:49 pm : mick_ross79 Likes this post

Hiya boys and girls, thought i'd put up a thread for the new addition to the family.

I'm sure a few of you saw it for sale on the net (when i called for insurance the bloke i dealt with was an e-series fan and had seen it. small world)

It's a 1996 EL Ghia V8 in Heritage Green with
- XR front
- Ticky Kit w/ no wing
- factory grey leather in excellent condition
- factory sunroof
- Koni shocks
- EL GT wheels
- resprayed at some point (colour-coded moulds)
- LPG installed recently

Apparently had other shit like the sunroof drain pipes cleaned out recently, new windscreen, new AC pump, brakes re-done yada yada... we'll find all that out soon enough

So how i came about this car and moving on from the XR8. I had been thinking about it for a while and spoken to a few people (family, mates, mechanic, etc). I decided if i did move on it had to be better than the XR8, as i've poured too much money into it to downgrade to a heap of shit.
So (as usual) i was looking on carsales and crap on and off. It was actually my missus who saw another EL V8 Ghia, which was super-clean low-km and fully optioned, up here in sydney on my route home from work. I called and it had already had a deposit on it, so i kept looking. I saw mine one night after TAFE and called the seller pretty late. Had a long chat about it and asked if he could hold it for 24 hours to see if i could organise everything. This was when my XR8 was getting it balancer, timing chain and cover replaced and costing me a chunk of cash. Getting the cash sorted, time off work and flying down to werribee was too hard at that point so I left it saying if it's still available after easter i'd look again.
I left it and kept looking at different things, even checking out Fairlanes, concordes and LTD's. It had to be an E-series, had to be V8 and have a sunroof.
As the Ghia was dropping in price i became more interested in it, and eventually called the bloke. Organised a deposit and sat on it for a few days. Booked flights and after a few mates & my gf tried and failed at getting work off, i went down with mum friday morning. Landed at about 9, drove the Ghia for 15 minutes, chewed the fat and bought it. It would've been nice if the guy HADN't put it on an Unregistered Vehicle Permit. drove it back with no plates. Such is life
So we started heading back to sydney straight away. we filled up somewhere between avalon airport and werribee. LPG & Petrol cost me ~$80. It was fucking windy!

first impressions were pretty good. Steering was lighter than my XR8 and i was enjoying the comforts of a Ghia. We got stuck in a bit of traffic near the westgate bridge road (not sure what its called) and the car behaved well

First stop was at Avenel

We stopped at albury and had some shithouse maccas, saw the local ferals and generally just feared for our lives.

Next stop was Holbrook, NSW, where theres a submarine in a park. It's a bit random, but whatever. The car was driving well, it was staying cool, was comfy and was quiet, especially since there's a glass panel in the roof. I found out the tyres it has a noisey, but i'm pretty sure they're gay el cheapos anyway

On the road again, it was obvious were werent in Victoria anymore just by the general shitness of the Hume Hwy truck stops in NSW. The lack of signage in our lovely fucked up state was another obvious thing. In Vic there's a sign every 5 km or so, in NSW it's every 33.7km (or some other random distance), so if you miss it, you have to try your luck later on.
Next stop was Gundagai, for more LPG (it managed 500km on a full tank of LPG), and a general toilet stop etc. Saw the dog-on-a-tuckerbox whilst there. I thought it was bigger than it is, still, it is pretty cool

interior pic for a mate to show wood, chrome & badge

next are random pics of the sunset and the scenery

we stopped and Goulburn for a refresh and then di the final stint to sydney & home

after a quick wash the next morning it was obvious that the front lip had copped stone chips, and the car needed a general polish

SO, plans for this are to keep it clean. It obviously needs rego ASAP and will become daily transport for me and the XR8 will be sold off. The V8 T5 will more than likely be sold off too, as i seriously doubt it'd go into the Ghia.
The front lip will need some attention so i might get some bits and peices re-done too. I'm weighing up what direction i'll eventually take, like keep the EL GT's and enjoy, re-do the chrome in the moulds, some 19" wheels

let me know what you think :drinks2:
Last edited by braad on May 21st, 2013, 11:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
braad
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 175 times
Been Liked: 67 times

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Re: Brads EL XR-Ghia V8

Postby josh_ef » May 14th, 2012, 10:51 pm

that is soo much nicer then the xr

i love a ghia with xr nose

very nice pick up mate, glad ya got it

put the manual in it :grin:
josh_ef
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Postby someLS1 » May 14th, 2012, 10:57 pm

What was wrong with the xr8? looks alright in the pics just needed the red stripes redone
-Black VZ Calais 5.7ltr V8, cammed, stalled, built auto, 3.7s trutrac, FR19s and the rest. - 270rwkw 1/4 12.7 @ 112mph

-ENVI Green 04 BA XR6T ute, hardlid, 20s, bigger injectors, fuel pump, bigger cooler, dose pipe! dyno tune - 236rwkw
someLS1
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 51 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Postby bng » May 14th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Nothing now. You should buy it. Good car
bng
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby nstg8a » May 14th, 2012, 10:58 pm

josh_ef wrote:
i love a ghia with xr nose

agreed, perfect e series imo.

ghia luxury wit the looks of the xr.
nstg8a
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 541 times
Been Liked: 208 times

1999 Ford Fairlane

Postby SLO247 » May 14th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Thats nice as, Heritage Green must be the best colour ever.
SLO247
Cruising

Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Postby someLS1 » May 14th, 2012, 11:12 pm

bng wrote:Nothing now. You should buy it. Good car

No thanks chief
-Black VZ Calais 5.7ltr V8, cammed, stalled, built auto, 3.7s trutrac, FR19s and the rest. - 270rwkw 1/4 12.7 @ 112mph

-ENVI Green 04 BA XR6T ute, hardlid, 20s, bigger injectors, fuel pump, bigger cooler, dose pipe! dyno tune - 236rwkw
someLS1
Breaking Traction

Postby superhuS! » May 14th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Fuarken everyones getting XR Ghias now :P

Have to do the chrome again man. It really needs it.
EL XR6
Koni - Lovell's SSL - Camtech 845 - Headwork - 3.9 LSD - Tickford Kit - Sunroof

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
No XR Ghia and no boost make Hussy something something
superhuS!
Full Boost

Has Liked: 102 times
Been Liked: 312 times

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby braad » May 15th, 2012, 12:01 am

Thanks guys. I'm hoping it'll end up a nice car thats a bit of a reflection on me. I stopped training, became fatter and slower, so Ghia > XR8!

Josh, I'm pretty certain the manual will go somewhere other than in the car! I either keep it for a rainy day or sell it now

Hus, i'm still uncertain. Atm i'm liking the wheels and no chrome look. When i get jack of it i could then change to chrome & big wheels

Getting ahead of myself farrken. Not even rego'd

someLS1 wrote:What was wrong with the xr8? looks alright in the pics just needed the red stripes redone

Nothings wrong with it, it's just not a Ghia! I havent heard a nicer sounding e-series around my area and i'm yet to see another with coilovers, but i wanted a V8 Ghia (and have for a while. Stupid Hus). I'm sort of changing direction with cars, i just want a nice classy cruiser with the comforts rather than chasing the Trickflow topped manual EL XR8. A change of pace when really, im mechanicslly retarded so i'll keep it simple & cruisey
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby someLS1 » May 15th, 2012, 12:46 am

Fair enough mate love the look of the xrs. But they ghias are decent too i had one back in the day kit and all too

someLS1
Breaking Traction

Postby vegabass » May 15th, 2012, 8:37 am

Id keep the t5 for a rainy day, incase the auto dies or you want all the class with a little poke. You own it now and it would be hard to fina another easily.

Nice car and you should add a momo or GT steering wheel to the list. Just sayin.
Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

vegabass
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 120 times

Postby bng » May 15th, 2012, 8:51 am

Looks better in person.
Brad got home Friday night at night. So didn't get to see it until the next day. Gave it a bit of a poke on the night. Sounds really good. Just some new headers as they are pressed bent and maybe twin tips!
bng
Spooling Up

Postby someLS1 » May 15th, 2012, 11:09 am

vegabass wrote:Id keep the t5 for a rainy day, incase the auto dies or you want all the class with a little poke. You own it now and it would be hard to fina another easily.

Nice car and you should add a momo or GT steering wheel to the list. Just sayin.

This for sure! my one regret during owning my el ghia is selling the t5 i had and never converting it

someLS1
Breaking Traction

Postby Michael (HYPOEB) » May 15th, 2012, 11:32 am

Realy nice looking car mate! What are your plans with the coilovers in the XR8?
BA XT Wagon: Stock.

EA SVO: Stock.

EBT-747: -

Michael (HYPOEB)
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 261 times

1993 Ford Falcon

Postby TUFF4D » May 15th, 2012, 7:43 pm

Did see this floating around on carsales for a while. Looks tidy, if it were me I would throw the T5 in the fairmont. I use to have a T5 V8 fairmont, 2nd best car I've owned :)
TUFF4D
Idling

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Postby braad » May 16th, 2012, 4:52 pm

someLS1 wrote:Fair enough mate love the look of the xrs. But they ghias are decent too i had one back in the day kit and all too

TUFF4D wrote:Did see this floating around on carsales for a while. Looks tidy, if it were me I would throw the T5 in the fairmont. I use to have a T5 V8 fairmont, 2nd best car I've owned :)

vegabass wrote:Id keep the t5 for a rainy day, incase the auto dies or you want all the class with a little poke. You own it now and it would be hard to fina another easily.

Thanks guys, i appreciate the comments.
I know everyone would love me to chuck the T5 in it, but it just doesnt seem right. I'll put a price on the gearbox and see how it goes. I won't just throw it away for a pittance

Now Drew, where am i gonna find a momo or GT steering wheel? I'm not paying +$500 for a steering wheel! What were AU Ghia wheels like? Any different to EL?
bng wrote:Looks better in person.
Brad got home Friday night at night. So didn't get to see it until the next day. Gave it a bit of a poke on the night. Sounds really good. Just some new headers as they are pressed bent and maybe twin tips!

Thats somewhat the plan. It's never going to be a monster so might as well have it sounding nice and looking good. I dont think i'll bother with proper headers, well, not for a while. Different tip is a must
Michael (HYPOEB) wrote:Realy nice looking car mate! What are your plans with the coilovers in the XR8?

Thanks michael, the coilovers will more than likely stay in the XR8 and go with it to whoever buys it. It'd be nice to have the adjustability in the Ghia but the added expense doesn't seem worth it, as it already rides and handles beautifully

If i had the money i'd probably get them swapped so if i get 19's i could raise/lower accordingly

Going in for a blue slip (Like a RWC) on friday! Might be rego'd friday arvo if all goes well.
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby superhuS! » May 16th, 2012, 5:06 pm

[quote=braad]Now Drew, where am i gonna find a momo or GT steering wheel? I'm not paying +$500 for a steering wheel! What were AU Ghia wheels like? Any different to EL?[/quote]

AU Ghias are just black leather. AU Millenium Ghias (Fairmont and Fairlane) got partial wood momo Steering wheel. Any AU t-series wheel will fit. But get a fucking EL GT one.
EL XR6

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
superhuS!
Full Boost

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby ClassicAU » May 16th, 2012, 5:10 pm

LIES! My old man had an AUIII Ghia sedan, and it had the Momo wood/leather wheel. Very nice wheel, the thickness is somewhere between a stock wheel and the Momo XR option.
3C Volkswagen Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model - Candy White, 17's, DSG, Bi-Xenon lights, Euro lux!

*laughs maniacally* “I can do burnouts every day for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it! They're always awesome!” - Mike Musto
ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 109 times

Postby superhuS! » May 16th, 2012, 5:28 pm

it was probably a millenium Ev :P
EL XR6

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
superhuS!
Full Boost

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby ClassicAU » May 16th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Nope, just fully optioned, was a regular series 3 VCT with everything but a sunroof. I've seen alot of AUII/III Ghia sedans with those wheels, must have been a popular option.
3C Volkswagen Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model - Candy White, 17's, DSG, Bi-Xenon lights, Euro lux!

*laughs maniacally* “I can do burnouts every day for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it! They're always awesome!” - Mike Musto
ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 109 times

Postby braad » May 16th, 2012, 6:39 pm

So which get timber?
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Brads EL XR-Ghia V8

Postby Ef_frmnt » May 16th, 2012, 7:00 pm

EL GT, FBT, some NL Concorde/Sportsmans as well I believe, and AU Ghia short and long wheelbase variants. Basically any Ghia got one if you ticked the box on the order sheet.
XD Falcon 427ci - long term drag (in-and-out-of-shed) car project
1992 Ford Courier LS1, big cam, big stall, big nitrous, and soon to be packing a big turbo..
PX MKii Wildtrak 20" Monster wheels with 33x10 tyres, Fox Shocks, custom stereo install, ARB Summit rear bar
Ef_frmnt
Full Boost

Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 257 times

Postby dannysebxr6 » May 16th, 2012, 8:44 pm

nice pick up Braad,
looks mint in heritage green and the xr front sets it off nicely. i saw this on car sales on the weekend.
if it had a manual box i would of bought it but oh well.
but yeh will be a very sleek daily and you should enjoy it.
dannysebxr6
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 12 times

Postby braad » May 17th, 2012, 10:32 am

Ef_frmnt wrote:EL GT, FBT, some NL Concorde/Sportsmans as well I believe, and AU Ghia short and long wheelbase variants. Basically any Ghia got one if you ticked the box on the order sheet.

Right! Well i'll keep my eye out. The standard steering wheel is in good nic so it will do until i source another one

Hus, i've never seen an EL GT wheel so i'm sure it'd be close to $11tybillion for one

dannysebxr6 wrote:nice pick up Braad,
looks mint in heritage green and the xr front sets it off nicely. i saw this on car sales on the weekend.
if it had a manual box i would of bought it but oh well.
but yeh will be a very sleek daily and you should enjoy it.

Thanks, i hope its a good daily. I'll get it checked over and see how it goes. I'm hoping to be able to drive it tomorrow arvo registered. Fingers crossed.
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby EFFalcon » May 17th, 2012, 10:46 am

EL GT steering wheels are normally $400ish in decent condition.
were available in the EL GT and NL Concorde.
can get lucky some times.
FBT ones are cuppa instead of gray.

AU Ghia ones are nice, i've got one in my EF.
typically cheaper then an EL GT one, but still not overly common.

but note the woodgrain in these doesn't match the ghia stuff, so if you're anal about that kinda stuff it might annoy you :P
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby bng » May 17th, 2012, 11:14 am

Who is doing the rego and all that? If I get this xd I'll need to get it done
bng
Spooling Up

Postby braad » May 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I'm going to a place in hurstville. Leffler recommended him and actually called him for me. I wouldnt have been able to get him to do it friday otherwise. They say the guys there are fair and decent, the one i chatted to was good.

I'd question buying the XD/F. Is there a purpose for buying it?

EFFalcon wrote:EL GT steering wheels are normally $400ish in decent condition.
were available in the EL GT and NL Concorde.
can get lucky some times.
FBT ones are cuppa instead of gray.

AU Ghia ones are nice, i've got one in my EF.
typically cheaper then an EL GT one, but still not overly common.

but note the woodgrain in these doesn't match the ghia stuff, so if you're anal about that kinda stuff it might annoy you :P

Thanks John. Thats the type of info i was after! I am pretty anal, i'd be willing to get a shitty timber one and re-do the timber colour and see what i end up with
I'll have to just check out the AU's and watch ebay
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby braad » May 17th, 2012, 7:48 pm

Soooooo... the central locking started to cycle the other day. I had a squizz this afternoon and pulled the drivers door trim off. I have now figured out that all my speakers need replacing as they're all fucked. Oh, and the central locking is fine. The cause seems to be a flat battery, as i bought and installed a new one and it hasn't stuffed up since. I'm cheering, as the car starts better now aswell.

ok, an age-old question. My elecy windows are bloody slow to come back up. The front passenger one decided to stop tonight. It falls slightly forward a few mm and it has no guts so just stops. The rears are just slow but do get there. i degreased the slides and WD40'd them and it made SFA difference. Is there some trick to it? something below the window sill i should be looking at?

btw, i fucking love Ghia interiors at night :amen:

p.p.s. NSW CTP/green slips are insane! $734 for 12 months is ridiculous! proper 3rd party F&T insurance was only $500
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby braad » May 18th, 2012, 4:07 pm

Car is now registered! Let te cruising begin :D
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby EFFalcon » May 18th, 2012, 4:14 pm

if the window is dropping forward then its likely the bolts that hold the window to the reg are either not tight enough, have been overtightened and stripped the threat, or there is movement in the reg.

horrible design :/
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby braad » May 20th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Ahh thanks. I'll have to check it out. I had always thought they were rivetted. Sounds like a crap design if that can happen

I have to check out what Koni Reds are all about. I thought the car had yellows
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby josh_ef » May 21st, 2012, 9:18 am

Also don't use wd40 on window regs it Dosent last long

Use silicone spray
Same sorta thing but better for rubber

I had to fix mine for roadie just took trim off
Loose d bolts and twisted glass tightens it and tried it in a few different positions till it went up on its own
josh_ef
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 50 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Postby braad » May 21st, 2012, 10:17 am

Thanks Josh. Silicon spray sounds like the way to go. I'll have to suss the window mechanisms on the weekend, and see if i can re-align the glass. Sounds easy but fiddly
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby Xpfalcon170 » May 21st, 2012, 5:29 pm

Looks nice. Yes, let the cruising begin!
84 4runner.......needs boost
El xr6.....needs dohc boost
Xp fairmont......needs boosted 8
Bf GT......cant afford boost no more
Xpfalcon170
Idling

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby braad » May 23rd, 2012, 10:58 pm

Xpfalcon170 wrote:Looks nice. Yes, let the cruising begin!

thanks mate! the cruising has begun. I've got a few more pics of it since the last.

Here it JUST manages to get up on the driveway without scraping. then i filled up LPG and it doesnt :(

Awaiting Blue-slip (RWC) before rego

and all registered and playing daily

and a golf i saw at work... reckon they have camber issues? i have NFI how it got there as it turned up one day and we have big gates that are locked after hours

braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Brads EL XR-Ghia V8

Postby Ef_frmnt » May 24th, 2012, 12:48 am

car looks the goods.. if it's ever sold sing out I'd love to take ownership!
XD Falcon 427ci - long term drag (in-and-out-of-shed) car project
1992 Ford Courier LS1, big cam, big stall, big nitrous, and soon to be packing a big turbo..
PX MKii Wildtrak 20" Monster wheels with 33x10 tyres, Fox Shocks, custom stereo install, ARB Summit rear bar
Ef_frmnt
Full Boost

Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 257 times

Postby braad » May 26th, 2012, 11:59 am

Ef_frmnt wrote:car looks the goods.. if it's ever sold sing out I'd love to take ownership!

Haha sure thing. I'd like to keep it though, its such a nice car to travel in!
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby braad » June 5th, 2012, 11:47 am

The Ghia is TOO low. So it looks like the coilovers will be going into it in the next few weeks :D
Front passenger tyre has ripped into the guard and pulled the lip down. The guards will probably need to be rolled too i think.
How do people get them rolled without them becoming dirt/water/rust traps?

I'll post up a pic of the engine bay as i want to ask you guys if you know what type of headers are on it and what sort of LPG converter

Having coilovers will open possibilities in the future. I vaannnnnt to make this car comfy as possible.
braad
Breaking Traction

1996 Ford XR-Ghia V8

Postby ef_falcon_95 » June 5th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Looking good , needs the chrome strips , doesn't look like a ghia from the side .
EL XR6, dark agents, bilstein shocks, extractors, 3" cat back , 5 speed, sunroof .

garret T04, 42lb injectors , 023, custom plenum.
ef_falcon_95
Cruising

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Postby superhuS! » June 5th, 2012, 12:40 pm

braad wrote:The Ghia is TOO low

Nonsense! :P

I don't get any water/dirt in my guards, and I lipped them ALL the way. If you're going to do it yourself, get a rubber mallet, a heatgun and allow 2 hours.
EL XR6

1998 XR-Ghia MKII
superhuS!
Full Boost

1998 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Next

Return to The Showroom