Fixing stuffed smartlock modules - How To - For FREE

Walk throughs on modifcations

Postby Rollin » February 2nd, 2011, 11:37 pm : Bipolar, BROCKYB8, DFP4LTR, needfordspeed Likes this post

Does your box or bubblecar occasionally not crank when you turn the key? Noticed that banging on the dash makes it go? Odds are the smartlock module is playing up.

I had this issue on my NC which got progressively worse, so I decided to figure out what was causing it.

The first thing I did was pull the module out of the car (it's above the handbrake in boxcars, I'd assume in a similar place in bubblecars) and then pull the PCB out of the plastic case.

I suspected that the contacts in the relays had developed high resistance over the years so I thought I'd attempt to clean them.

I de-soldered one of the relays and removed it from the board to see how/if it could be pulled apart. Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to pull the covers off the relay without breaking the cover so I used a sharp razor blade and side cutters to break the cover off, exposing the relay.

Make sure when you do this that you are VERY CAREFUL as it would be quite easy to destroy the relay by cutting too deeply into the cover.

Once I'd investigated the first one I soldered it back on to the board and broke the covers carefully off the rest of the relays. It's not necessary to de-solder the relays to fix this issue, I just did it to see what I was working with initially.

Then I got a strip of 1200 grit sandpaper about 8mm wide and 50mm long and folded it in half lengthways, so it was now double sided and only 4mm wide.

With that piece of sandpaper I carefully poked it in between all the contacts of the relays and then gently sandpapered the contacts clean (arrows to show where I'm talking about).

The relays do have a lot more contacts than usual so make sure you do both sides when you are in there.

After cleaning the contacts I blew them out then put a little bit of Nyogel on them to try and stop/reduce the arcing across the contacts, put the PCB back in the box and back in the car. It's been 3 days now and it seems perfect, no more percussive maintenance needed.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

Location: Brisbane - Driving around in a metal and glass case of emotion!
Has Liked: 327 times
Been Liked: 751 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Re: Fixing stuffed smartlock modules - How To - For FREE

Postby needfordspeed » February 3rd, 2011, 12:14 am

You're a gun Rollin, good tutorial and will definitely come in handy.
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby galapogos01 » February 3rd, 2011, 8:14 am

Great tute!

Be good to identify which relay it is. Not all four would be used. I'm sure an off-the-shelf jaycar part would drop right in.

I was under the impression it was a dry solder joint on the pcb itself, but its just as likely the relay contacts tbh.
galapogos01
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 302 times
Been Liked: 89 times

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby nstg8a » February 3rd, 2011, 10:54 am

so if its dirty contacts causing it, how does bashing the dash make it work?

my electrickery skills go as far as wiring up a stereo or driving lights, anything more technical than that and im lost lol.
nstg8a
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 541 times
Been Liked: 208 times

1999 Ford Fairlane

Postby Rollin » February 3rd, 2011, 4:05 pm

My theory is: Every time the relay contacts there is a tiny tiny spark which jumps from one contact to the other (as it closes and/or opens, not sure which) and I believe that little spark ionises the air it passes through and deposits a little tiny patch of 'stuff' on the contacts. The 'stuff' (someone google what it is, I CBF) resists the flow of electrons, and over time it builds up enough to prevent any electricity from passing through.

When you bash it the contacts chatter and dislodge or flatten a little bit of this stuff which then allows power to flow through and let the car start.

galapogos - yeah, I think there are relays in there which do boot and door locks maybe? I had no way of figuring it out so I just cleaned them all.

Look at your car. Now back to mine. Now back to yours. Now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine. But if you stopped buying dodgy cars and bought an ED, yours could be like mine. Look down. Back up. Where are you? ...You're on BoostedFalcon, reading the signature your signature could be like! Anything is possible when your car looks like my car... I'm on a computer.
Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Hayden » February 4th, 2011, 12:28 am

how far did this problem develop in your NC?
I've had the same problem with my father's NC 5ltr for 2/3 years now and it's developed into stalling once engine temp reaches thermofan kick in point, i wonder if this could be the mysterious problem...
AUII Xr6 5 speed LPG. BBQXR XR8 Snorkel, 4499's, 2.5" catback, PBR 322mm Brake Upgrade, Whiteline Sway Bars & A Full box of used tampons in the boot
ED XR6 Wagon 5 speed. BBM, Thermofans, 2.5" Catback, Pedders Sportsryders, Powah windows!
Hayden
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 34 times

1994 Ford ED Classic

Postby Rollin » February 4th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Hayden it's more likely that your fathers car needs a throttle body clean and a base idle reset. If it has a K&N filter it probably needs the maf cleaned with brake clean as well.

My car used to need a good one or two solid handbrake slams to start almost every time before I did this, and up until yesterday afternoon had been perfect - now it seems to only have an occasional issue if the car has been sitting in the sun all day, and then I really only need to pull the handbrake out an inch and slowly put it back in and the car will go - nowhere near hard enough to actually jolt the dash like I used to before.

I might have to pull the PCB again and check for dry joints like galapogos said :/

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Hayden » February 4th, 2011, 10:40 pm

we've sent it to the mechanic who fitted the gas to it about 10 times now and he's tried just about everything and same with me and my father, but eh what can you do i guess, i'll try this later this week and let you know if it fixes the problem :drinks2:
AUII Xr6 5 speed LPG. BBQXR XR8 Snorkel, 4499's, 2.5" catback, PBR 322mm Brake Upgrade, Whiteline Sway Bars & A Full box of used tampons in the boot
ED XR6 Wagon 5 speed. BBM, Thermofans, 2.5" Catback, Pedders Sportsryders, Powah windows!
Hayden
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 34 times

1994 Ford ED Classic

Postby XR_Lightning » February 8th, 2011, 6:20 pm

cool man! nice work! mite have to give this a go :D
ED XR6 - T5 - 1521a@112 - 3.9's - 170.2rwkw - POWERED BY METALLICA
XR_Lightning
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1076 times
Been Liked: 487 times

1993 Ford ED Falcon XR6

Postby travs ea-xr6 » February 10th, 2011, 7:22 pm

or you can just scotch lock the two cranck feed wires that go into the module :P

btw top job :good:
travs ea-xr6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 8 times

Postby Rollin » February 10th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Which two wires? Sounds a lot easier if it does actually work - I'll definitely give it a go.

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby travs ea-xr6 » February 11th, 2011, 7:23 pm

i think its 2 red with blue stripe wires that go into the modual that i scotch lock together
travs ea-xr6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 8 times

Postby needfordspeed » February 11th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Yeah I've done that and seen it done before, just bypasses smartlock doesn't it? I think it's red/green, either way there's two identical wires going into it, just join them iirc.
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby galapogos01 » February 12th, 2011, 10:53 am

It only bypasses the smartlock starter kill. If you are using a stock EBII+ ECU smartlock can still stop injector pulse directly in the ECU.
galapogos01
Hitting N2O

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby XR_Lightning » February 12th, 2011, 7:56 pm

you will have to let us know how you go with this Rollin, if it plays up or not, this thread needs to be stickied I think aswell
XR_Lightning
Hitting N2O

1993 Ford ED Falcon XR6

Postby sexyr6 » February 12th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Nice doco rollin, just to add some more info..

The starter wires to bridge are Red/Blue in color (pins 18 and 25), and the relay on the module board is RLY 2.

Daily Driver - 92 EBII Fairmont Wagon, 347.

The Tow Rig - 81 F100 SWB 351c

The Toy - 94 ED XR6 5spd Turbo.

seXyR6's Build Thread
seXyR6's Garage
EBW-347 Build Thread
EBW-347 Garage
81 F100 Showroom
sexyr6
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 36 times

1994 Ford XR6 5spd

Postby galapogos01 » February 22nd, 2011, 9:54 am

Nice one.

Got a pic of the pinout? From Rollins pics it looks like a DPDT. A oneathese looks like it'd drop right in:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SY4062

Otherwise, see http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResults ... 4&form=CAT
galapogos01
Hitting N2O

1995 Ford Fairmont

Postby EBOOST » February 28th, 2011, 10:15 am

so has people had success with just joining the 2 red/blue wires together?
my ed does this and its pretty annoying.
if its still gonna have no injector pulse then ill do what rollins done but the other way seems alot easier.
cheers josh.
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby Rollin » February 28th, 2011, 5:40 pm

Yeah the lane is being gay again - Smashing the dash doesn't help, but if I reach under and move the wires on the drivers side of the connector a few mm then it comes good every time, so I'm going to have to pull it out and investigate a little further.

Not sure if I had multiple problems to begin with or this has been the issue all along and it was magically temporarily fixed because I moved the wires around so much when I was removing and refitting the module. I'll try and get into it again some time this week and see if I can see anything else...

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby sexyr6 » February 28th, 2011, 7:18 pm

galapogos01 wrote:Got a pic of the pinout?

I don't, but should be able work something out.
Daily Driver - 92 EBII Fairmont Wagon, 347.

The Tow Rig - 81 F100 SWB 351c

The Toy - 94 ED XR6 5spd Turbo.

seXyR6's Build Thread
seXyR6's Garage
EBW-347 Build Thread
EBW-347 Garage
81 F100 Showroom
sexyr6
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 36 times

1994 Ford XR6 5spd

Postby Rollin » March 3rd, 2011, 9:57 pm

I had another bash at the lane yesterday and today, trying to figure out exactly what happens when it won't start.

Occasionally I could touch the wires and it would go, occasionally manually closing the contacts on the relay that sexyr6 pointed out in one of his above posts would make it go, but sometimes neither would work.

I suspect there may be voltage drop somewhere which is making the relay not close properly and/or it to not get enough juice to get the car to crank, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I re-tensioned and cleaned all the pins in the connector (took them out, adjusted them, put them back in) and it made no difference.

In the end I did as sexyr6 suggested and joined the two red/blue wires just as they come out of the plug, and it's been perfect since - although it was perfect for a couple of weeks after I cleaned the relay contacts too :/

I think this will be a better long term solution though - I should get this whole tutorial deleted and just put a post up saying "solder the wires together for win".

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby krazyea » April 29th, 2011, 12:17 am

If my smart lock modules stuffed my car won't crank over yea
owner of a black eb fairmont series 2
.mods so far
.lowerd on sl king springs rollin in a set of ef stockies and white walls
.full ef motor and trans
.el fairmont trim conversion
. el thermos
. Turbo set up in progress
. Xr6 lip spoiler
LATER ON MODS
. Full respray in phatom purple
. Rebuilt au motor runnin 12psi
krazyea
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 30 times
Been Liked: 2 times

1993 Ford Fairmont

Postby misk » April 29th, 2011, 2:26 am

although it might not help those that get results from dash related violence lol, if your module is playing up also check for shitty tracks on the PCB itself.
on one of my modules some of the board had started to kind of de-laminate at some parts and 2 tracks had separated from the board and split.
i soldered 2 wire to replace the tracks and was all good.
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby ed40 » April 29th, 2011, 10:07 am : NUT347, WRL090 Likes this post

What I used.

HATE SMARTLOCK
Rollin wrote:At least I can deal with it while driving my boyfriend around in my car each weekend
ed40
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 191 times
Been Liked: 137 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby turbotrana » April 30th, 2011, 1:59 am

I had this problem a while back and just got a soldering iron to all the solder joints (I think the relay ones in specific but I think I went thru most of them) to remelt them to eliminate dry joints and it fixed it in my case. Many times if you get a magnefying glass you can actually pick a dry joint. But bypassing is probably the best bet if this does not fix it.
turbotrana
Idling

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Postby TUFED6 » April 30th, 2011, 9:07 am

I'd just bypass the ****. Any car thief worth a pinch of shit can steal an E-series in about 2 seconds anyway.
TUFED6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 434 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Yianni » May 2nd, 2011, 11:17 pm

Rollin wrote:I had another bash at the lane yesterday and today, trying to figure out exactly what happens when it won't start.

Occasionally I could touch the wires and it would go, occasionally manually closing the contacts on the relay that sexyr6 pointed out in one of his above posts would make it go, but sometimes neither would work.

I suspect there may be voltage drop somewhere which is making the relay not close properly and/or it to not get enough juice to get the car to crank, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I re-tensioned and cleaned all the pins in the connector (took them out, adjusted them, put them back in) and it made no difference.

In the end I did as sexyr6 suggested and joined the two red/blue wires just as they come out of the plug, and it's been perfect since - although it was perfect for a couple of weeks after I cleaned the relay contacts too :/

I think this will be a better long term solution though - I should get this whole tutorial deleted and just put a post up saying "solder the wires together for win".

It's been a couple of months now, have you had anymore problems or has the bypass fixed it?
Yianni
Cruising

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Postby Rollin » May 3rd, 2011, 12:36 pm

Nah, fixed permanently...

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby holmsy » May 8th, 2011, 12:18 pm

mine is starting to stuff up.

so all i have to do is pull those 2 wires and solder them together?
Project: SLOXR8: 1994 EF XR8, mech shift kit, 3500 histall, Lokka, 36lb injectors, AU 185 motor, Cranecam 444225, crane roller rockers, crow valve springs, Pacies, 3" exhaust, hiflo cats. twin 044's, vortech v2,microtech tuned by daltons (290.3rwkw @11psi) at DALTONS
holmsy
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 182 times
Been Liked: 154 times

1994 Ford XR8

Postby Rollin » May 8th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Yep....

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby holmsy » May 12th, 2011, 9:23 pm

just occured to me.

connect together the 2 wires coming out of the ecu.
or going to the ecu (after cutting)
Project: SLOXR8: 1994 EF XR8, mech shift kit, 3500 histall, Lokka, 36lb injectors, AU 185 motor, Cranecam 444225, crane roller rockers, crow valve springs, Pacies, 3" exhaust, hiflo cats. twin 044's, vortech v2,microtech tuned by daltons (290.3rwkw @11psi) at DALTONS
holmsy
Shooting Flames

Has Liked: 182 times
Been Liked: 154 times

1994 Ford XR8

Postby Rollin » May 12th, 2011, 9:46 pm

I don't think I even cut them, I just stripped about 10mm off each wire in the same place, soldered them together and taped. If you were to cut them it would be on the 'vehicle' side of the wiring, not the ecu side.

Rollin
Melting Pistons

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby TURBOWINDSOR » June 21st, 2011, 5:08 pm

[color=#8000FF][b]94 ED XR8 302 5 speed ,ported gt40p heads, parker funnleweb manifold, acctive twin hat, twin 65mm throttle bodys,mini spool, 80mm maf, 24lb injectors , 3" exhaust and hi flo cats. ,rising rate reg,ready for twin turbo,..........nl 1997 fairlane 5.0l auto,electric shift kit,full optionts , full lether an wood grain,,,, 1998 falcon gli 4.0l project car Have a frikin go
TURBOWINDSOR
Cruising

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby 67rce » June 21st, 2011, 5:46 pm

Rollin wrote:I don't think I even cut them, I just stripped about 10mm off each wire in the same place, soldered them together and taped. If you were to cut them it would be on the 'vehicle' side of the wiring, not the ecu side.

I'll confirm when I can be bothered, and the NC is at home, not tucked away safe in the workshop at work.
Cammed Suzuki Baleno, Haltech PS1000, E85
67rce
Breaking Intake Welds

Has Liked: 170 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Postby theboss290 » June 22nd, 2011, 11:51 am

will locking the two red/ blue wires work on a EF blue bcm ??
theboss290
Idling

Postby theboss290 » June 27th, 2011, 6:02 pm

ok seeming i had no responce i did it any way end result im going to go and get a new one as it now causes the fuel pump to work when it feels like, not when its going , just at prime when you turn the key, It does go eventualy but can take 20 or so turns of the key before priming .
theboss290
Idling

Postby monkeykplunk » October 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm

This is an old thread I know, but I joined the 2 red/blue wires as stated here, and all I got was no response. As if the module has gone into full protect mode.

The light flashes twice, stops, flashes twice, stops, flashes twice, stops, then continuously flashes.

I'm currently leaving the ign on, to see if the ECU needed to "relearn" the smartlock module, but does anyone have any other ideas?
monkeykplunk
Cranking Over

Postby 89.SVO » October 6th, 2012, 7:01 pm

i worked for RACV and all we did was bridge the red w/ blue trace (i think, can't 100% remember) wires. Fixed every one. Even had to do it on my Dads partners EB at one stage
Daily driver: AU2. 5 speed. 19" FG luxos. Full exhaust. Lowered. AU3 XR leather interior, converted to full power windows. 3.45 LSD. AU1 XR kit with classic spoiler. IN THE FUTURE: Tickford 6, maybe boost ;)
Weekend driver: EA SVO - AU motor. Built BTR. TCE 2800 stall. T76 turbo. Locked diff. On E85. approx 320rwkw. 11.5 @ 121mph
89.SVO
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 113 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Postby Tramp » June 2nd, 2013, 12:21 pm

My 93 EB 111. 5.0 v8 auto
is giving me 4 flashes on the smartlock. It has been running fine without missing a beat until last night... midnight. Engine now cranks, had plenty of spark at all plugs, fuel pump working and you can smell fuel at the front after trying a few times to start but still will not fire up. it had a couple of moments of almost firing but then wont.

cant see anything obvious... all connectors connected

had replaced natural safety switch a couple of weeks ago. could the problem be related??

has new battery in remote
Tramp
Cranking Over

Postby XR_Lightning » June 13th, 2013, 10:50 pm

Got sick of banging the dash to start my car, used to only do it when it was warm, but recently it has been doing it more frequently in the cold weather. Was gonna try the cutting & joining the wires trick, but I wanted to do it properly and actually investigate what the problem is with these crappy modules. SO I ended up ripping out my smartlock module, opened it up and found dry solder joints around most of the relay pins through the circuit board and the big blue capicator in the middle (which was also quite noticably loose). Resoldered all the relays and the capicators and any others joints that were starting to look abit dodgy, and so far so good. Havn't had to thump the dash once yet :grin:. And car hasn't ever cranked over so easily before like it does now, was quite surprised at the difference it has made.
XR_Lightning
Hitting N2O

1993 Ford ED Falcon XR6

Next

Return to Tutorials