XG Turbo Van

Introduce yourself and your ride.

Re: XG Turbo Van

Postby CAGS » May 1st, 2012, 11:19 pm

Pulled the rear calipers off tonight to rebuild them, one was fine and the other was shagged. Piston was too far rusted to rebuild so have to wait until tomorrow or the next day to get another and finish the job.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 9 times

Postby CAGS » May 5th, 2012, 6:37 pm

Rebuilt the rear calipers and fitted them, bled the brakes up and the pedal felt good but a bit strange. It was late at night so didnt bother putting wheels on and taking it for a test drive, when i did this morning it all turned to shite again. The right front caliper is locked on and the left is very stiff, turns out i should have rebuilt them aswell. Guess i shouldnt have been a lazy c**t and done them all at once. Anyway, waiting for the front kits to turn up and try again.
Also it sat nice and low with the standard height springs in it, will be great having an X-series that actually handles reasonably well.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby CAGS » June 4th, 2012, 9:32 am

Got this back on the road again.
The front calipers both had the bottom piston seized, cleaned them up and put kits through them, bled the brakes up and had a great pedal. Couldnt really take it for a test drive as the wheel alignment was all over the shop.
Had a wheel alignment done at a so-called reputable shop, picked it up and drove about 100 metres and let go of the steering wheel and nearly ran off the road. Turns out that the left wheel had 17.1mm toe out and the right 16.3mm, no idea how they could f**k it up so bad. Had it done again but is still wanders a little bit, definately wont be going back. Could possibly be a warn steering box so looking in to that.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby CAGS » June 5th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Brakes and front end are awesome, goes over speed humps like they arent there.
Its great having an X-series that actually handles and stops.

Anyway got this bad boy the other day, Snort water to air plenum.

Need to get a couple more things for this, new water pump, reservoir and filler.
Things are starting to get closer to finally getting this up and running.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby misk » October 20th, 2012, 8:42 pm

anymore progress with this bud?
trying to weigh up whether or not to get rid of my EB and get an XG ive been offered...
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby CAGS » October 20th, 2012, 9:04 pm

misk wrote:anymore progress with this bud?
trying to weigh up whether or not to get rid of my EB and get an XG ive been offered...

Not much at the moment. Have the shits with it, having a few problems with the front end alignment.
The camber bolts keep slipping and giving bad negative camber and heaps of toe out.
On the engine side of things, will be trying to assemble it soon. I need to pick up another B2 convertor and new valve in the gas tank and new flexi lines.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby ruin41 » October 20th, 2012, 9:08 pm

You can tighten up quite a bit of the play in the steering boxes on these. The main wear issue is the top bush (which according to hearsay was changed to a bearing in later models to eliinate this issue). If the late ones do have a bearing all it will need is adjustment to tighten it up. Wide rims on the front can cause it to wander all over the road even when i appeared to have a tight steering box. I had to put on 215's instead of 245's on my 8" rims to "almost" sort this on my 95 xr6 ute.
When you put a turbo on your V8 the boys with the big intercoolers stop telling you how fast their cars are.
ruin41
Idling

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Postby CAGS » October 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Yeah there is a bit of play in the steering box but thats the least of the worries, will see if i can tighten it up a bit.
I have 235's and was thinking of putting on some 215's on the front as it does wander a bit, but i think its more from the massive amount of toe-out. Should get some motorvtion after the C4C next weekend and make a start on it again.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby CAGS » February 18th, 2013, 6:37 pm : ed40 Likes this post

Not very much happening on this lately, big case of CBF.
Have replaced the rear shocks and put nolathane bushes in the leaf springs, also put in a new steering box.
Finally got the wheel alignment sorted, had to weld the camber bolts to stop the spinning. If you're looking for an alignment I highly recommend the guys at Centreline Suspension in Thomastown, awesome to deal with and they really know their stuff.
I have picked up a gas tank from an AU LPG sedan and will hopefully fitting it if I can make it fit, needs 2 brackets cut off and a cradle made up to bolt it to.

Here is a picture of how it sits with the drop spindles.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby SnipeZ » February 18th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Looks nice mate.

Cheers
1998 EL XR6 - Stolen
1997 EL Fairmont V8 - Current
5.0 V8
Full Leather
EL GT Headers
2"1/2 Twin System
FPV Dark Argent
Full Tickford Lip Kit
Low :)
Soon To Be Manual
SnipeZ
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 235 times
Been Liked: 170 times

Postby misk » February 18th, 2013, 8:02 pm

looks good bud!
its certainly a bit of inspiration for me lol.
lately i've noticed my fuel cap is leaking like a ****.
i can only assume its a common problem due to a shitty design, have you had any issues with yours?
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Postby CAGS » February 18th, 2013, 8:22 pm

SnipeZ wrote:Looks nice mate.

Thanks, it stands up to the 20 metre test pretty good but is a bit rough when you get up close

misk wrote:looks good bud!
its certainly a bit of inspiration for me lol.
lately i've noticed my fuel cap is leaking like a ****.
i can only assume its a common problem due to a shitty design, have you had any issues with yours?

Cheers, I haven't had a fuel system in it for 8 or 9 years now. I think from memory that the breather in the filler was blocked and pressurised the tank and leaked a bit. I had one of those cheap servo emergency caps with a hole in it and it stop the leaking.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby misk » February 18th, 2013, 9:17 pm

lol forgot you are on LPG!
this is the first car ive had on petrol for like 5 years, so far its been doing my head in, LPG is much easier for me to work with.
XG Panelvan

misk
Melting Pistons

Postby CAGS » February 18th, 2013, 9:51 pm

I had nothing but trouble when it was dual fuel. It ran like a pig on petrol, would chew through the juice and shudder and fart around under load.
Couldn't find the problem and then the fuel pump died so I pulled the tank and lines, removed the injector rail and plugged the injector holes and fitted all the Gas Research gear, best thing I ever did.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby CAGS » December 2nd, 2013, 3:04 pm

Time for an update.
Hadnt done much on this until recently when it done another head gasket, surfaced the head and replaced gasket. Was all good for a few weeks until it developed a massive misfire, all of the ignition side of things was fairly new so couldn't be electrical. Pulled out the plugs and #2 had water marks on it, cracked head. So the time has come to assemble the new engine.

Crank in

Rods and pistons ready to go in

And in

Shiny rocker cover

Will fit all the bolt-ons during the week and hopefully pull out the old motor and try to get it up and running very soon.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby CAGS » January 16th, 2014, 4:17 pm : Bipolar Likes this post

Been doing a little bit over Christmas on this. Started to strip out the engine bay of the un-necessary bits and pieces.
Fitted up the turbo manifold and turbine housing so that I could make the dump and wastegate pipes.

Bit of a tight fit but there seems to be enough clearance, will have to get new power steering hoses made.
Dummied up the inlet manifold to see if everything fitted like it should and run into my first major problem, the throttle body and plenum hit the bonnet and wont let it close. I massaged the bonnet bracing a little bit with the grinder and got it to close. I will have to get throttle body flange machined off so that it will sit level and weld on a new flange to clear the middle of the bonnet.

XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby ed40 » January 16th, 2014, 5:14 pm

awesome work man! :thumbsup:
Rollin wrote:At least I can deal with it while driving my boyfriend around in my car each weekend
ed40
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 191 times
Been Liked: 137 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby misk » January 16th, 2014, 5:31 pm

**** yeah, so glad you decided to stick with it dude. you'll be some inspiration for me haha.

love that you're staying GRA also :)
keep it up!
XG Panelvan

misk
Melting Pistons

Postby DJV8T5 » January 16th, 2014, 7:07 pm

are you going to run a serpentine belt or keeping with the multibelt setup? Looks like you have got a lot of work done over the last few months. New motor looks good and shiny
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 216 times
Been Liked: 88 times

Postby CAGS » January 16th, 2014, 7:27 pm

DJV8T5 wrote:are you going to run a serpentine belt or keeping with the multibelt setup? Looks like you have got a lot of work done over the last few months. New motor looks good and shiny

Definitely serpentine set-up. Have done a bit lately but its stuff all really, wrote out a list of things to do and its massive, shit loads of fiddly stuff.
Pretty much committed to getting it done ASAP as it my work car and cant have it off the road for too much longer.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby DJV8T5 » January 16th, 2014, 9:12 pm

not having a car sucks...I know all too well lol
DJV8T5
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 216 times
Been Liked: 88 times

Postby CAGS » January 16th, 2014, 9:30 pm

Its not my only car, have an AU sedan but it sucks to work out of and im not a big fan of towing a trailer around.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby CAGS » February 7th, 2014, 4:14 pm : johnnye173 Likes this post

Got a little bit done lately but not as much as I should have as its too bloody hot.
Had the Inlet manifold machined so the throttle body sits basically flat and clears the bonnet easily now.
Made a bracket up to mount the converters and made up some vapour lines from the converters to the TB.
Anyone see any problems with this?

Also have turned up a flange to mount the BOV. Again anyone see any problems mounting it like this?

Could Admin please move this thread to the build section, Cheers
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby gradner » May 4th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Sweet van dude. And good to see more gra gear. Are you running twin liquid lines or a single ?
XH , Proboost t04z, turbo logic inlet manifold , acl slugs, 3 inch exhaust and manifold made by me, gas research, TR6060, LSD.

DON'T MOD YOUR DAILY!
gradner
Cruising

Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 11 times

Postby CAGS » May 5th, 2014, 11:38 am

gradner wrote:Sweet van dude. And good to see more gra gear. Are you running twin liquid lines or a single ?

Cheers. I think I will just use a large single line to start with and see how it goes.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Postby johnnye173 » October 20th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Hey cags,any progress-love the panny btw,cheers,Johnny.
johnnye173
Cranking Over

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby ArgeliaIrby » March 28th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Spool shafts are en route, before long to pick what size and brand chambers to compose. Any contemplations Definately getting forgies made. I venerate it. I wouldn't see any issues a pano yet there difficult to continue running over in exceptional condition.
arynews is a Pakistani news channel
ArgeliaIrby
Cranking Over

Has Liked: 0 time

Postby JAYSON » May 17th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Which you could handle a giant quantity of the play within the directing bins on these. The precept put on difficulty is the highest bramble which as indicated via gossip used to be converted to a path in later models to dispense with this trouble. On the off chance that the late ones do have an orientation all it will require is acclimation to fix it up.
JAYSON
Cranking Over

Has Liked: 0 time

Previous

Return to Introduction