B-Series Problems and Fixes

This is a general discussion forum, open to all participants

Re: B-Series Problems and Fixes

Postby someLS1 » May 21st, 2012, 7:13 pm

xr6t forums might have alot of muppets on there but i found alot more information i needed on there for my ute. Most of the things TUFED6 listed above are covered with pics and tutorials how to do... which is handy for someone who has never looked into an xr6t engine bay before
-Black VZ Calais 5.7ltr V8, cammed, stalled, built auto, 3.7s trutrac, FR19s and the rest. - 270rwkw 1/4 12.7 @ 112mph

-ENVI Green 04 BA XR6T ute, hardlid, 20s, bigger injectors, fuel pump, bigger cooler, dose pipe! dyno tune - 236rwkw
someLS1
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 51 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Postby Sunboost » May 21st, 2012, 7:43 pm

someLS1 wrote:
Sundeep wrote:I've owned probably 15-16 turbo B-Series including 3 XR6T's and a
Force 6, and also a G6ET. I'll look over any book that anyone writes and make sure it's accurate. I've probably done 60-100,000km in these cars by now.

Would you have owned one long enough to experience any problems with them though??

Reading all these problems i mustve been lucky with my ba only problems i had was the wheel bearings i hear they go alot, and the heater was cactus just kind of lived with that couldnt be bothered taking the dash out. Not bad for one that had fairly high kms!

Im looking at a ba xr6t ute atm it lists as link rods needs doing on the RWC to do items... ive drawn a blank wtf are link rods? all i can think of is sway bar link rods might need bushes? am i on the right track, also lists a rear tailshaft seal? is this the diff seal or is there some other seal there? keen to fix things myself if i get em as the quote on this blokes rwc list is almost 1k

The law of averages applies Max.

I did 10,000km in my 1st F6, that's not far off Mr_4.0's 15,000. Your doubt is appreciated.
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Postby bng » May 21st, 2012, 7:55 pm

nothin suss wrote:Mechanically they have some more wiring and fuses in them to support the add-ons.
'Police mode' would be activated in the cluster for more precise digital speedo readings.
As for performance additions?? I'd take a stab at zero?

Yea i thought so. So nothing to major apart from them be hammered every chance they got. I had a look at the photos and can't see anything major. But photos lie. Might still go look at it and see. Can't hurt
bng
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby blakestone001 » May 22nd, 2012, 2:03 am

Sundeep wrote:
EFFalcon wrote:
Sundeep wrote:I've owned probably 15-16 turbo B-Series including 3 XR6T's and a
Force 6, and also a G6ET. I'll look over any book that anyone writes and make sure it's accurate. I've probably done 60-100,000km in these cars by now.

You'll just have to skip those chapters on N/A 6's and V8's :P

I've had an N/A 6 too :P No one would read the chapter on V8's anyways, we all know they're shit.

^^ As for ex-Hwy I saw an Octane BF2 on the weekend which was missing upper b-pillar grommets, mis-fitted rubber seals, had worn / flat seat cushions and trims up front, horns screwed on in the wrong place behind front bar, holes all over the console. I didn't go for a drive, but I'm sure there would have been surprises. If you watch Highway Patrol you'd see how these things get treated. Bulky radar guns get thrown around, scratching shit up, they get thrashed at every op, and driven over gutters without a second thought.

haha thats my car your talking about :oops:

I didnt even spot most of the things you pointed out when I bought the car! I drove a handfull of bf's before this one and mine drove 10x better than the others. No noises coming from the turbo/diff/gearbox which all the cars I looked at had! Honestly the interior has seen better days but mechanically the car is great. It had an excellent previous owner (after the popo) which didnt mind spending cash on fixing whatever was needed (diff bushes, shocks, auto service, good tyres not cheap shit etc ). It was only owned by the nsw police for 50,000kms aswell so I dont think they did too much damage! :lol:
I should of took you for a drive though cause you do seem to know your shit with these cars!
blakestone001
Idling

Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby Sunboost » May 22nd, 2012, 6:15 pm

Haha it looked clean other than those things that can all be fixed fairly easily. I know that the EL XR8 chasers had stiffer seats which were then shared with EL GT, so maybe the seats are Police specific hence looking / wearing differently. Take us for a spin next time you come round to grab that console stuff!
Edge FG G6ET 50th Anniversary
Vixen BF F6 R-Spec
Sunboost

Has Liked: 98 times
Been Liked: 471 times

Postby TAXI » May 22nd, 2012, 6:40 pm

My 03 turbo has had lock actuator pack up,then drivers window reg pack up.
and most of the ba probs are starting show.
my sis has a 02 futura that has had the ignition pack up,needing the column replaced.
then the key lost its code,replaced that and now six months later the new key is dead again.
Her trans has an ocassional slip, has a rear brake problem(no hand brake).
rear wheel bearings are now noisy. oh and the donk leaks loads of oil from everywhere.
TAXI
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Postby [Sterling] » May 24th, 2012, 10:13 am

nothin suss wrote:Mechanically they have some more wiring and fuses in them to support the add-ons.
'Police mode' would be activated in the cluster for more precise digital speedo readings.
As for performance additions?? I'd take a stab at zero?

They would get regular services and all stuff replaced would be genuine ford products, but they would still be buckets of shit lol
As for performance theres a couple of them in Lilydale now, and after speaking to the cops driving them(because they love my car :S) they say they have abit more go in them than normal XRTurbos.
2005 MK2 XR6Turbo-Leather-6speed manual-duel zone~weekender.
2011 Holden Colorado LXR-duel cab-Turbo Deisel~work rig/tow car
Boosted B-Series FTW E-Series GTFO.
[Sterling]
Double Clutching

Has Liked: 176 times
Been Liked: 189 times

1980 Ford XR6

B-Series Problems and Fixes

Postby Ef_frmnt » May 24th, 2012, 12:04 pm

They go better because they are driven hard... no performance mods were done to any highway cars in QLD, not even the candy cars. They copped the exact same updates that any regular car got so there was no tune, no exhaust, not even a better air filter... everything was just replaced regularly. As for normal beat cars they are all f*cked lol.. they jump gutters and rally them regularly, usually have no brakes left and bushes, diffs and autos are all worn out.
XD Falcon 427ci - long term drag (in-and-out-of-shed) car project
1992 Ford Courier LS1, big cam, big stall, big nitrous, and soon to be packing a big turbo..
PX MKii Wildtrak 20" Monster wheels with 33x10 tyres, Fox Shocks, custom stereo install, ARB Summit rear bar
Ef_frmnt
Full Boost

Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 257 times

Previous

Return to General Discussion