Health Insurance.

This is a general discussion forum, open to all participants

Health Insurance.

Postby Damo » September 14th, 2007, 2:34 am

Being one of the older members on this site (24) and not being covered under my parents policy anymore, i'm just wondering what sort of $ people pay for Health insurance/ Obviously i'd be after hospital cover, but i need extras like optical, dental and physio (i'm short sighted and had a lot of dental work when I was younger). I got some online quotes and they were mostly upwards of $80 per month, or $20 a week.

I'm 24, single, male, and of good health (AFAIK) lol.

Is it worth the money basically is what I want to know.
Damo
Full Boost

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Re: Health Insurance.

Postby EFFalcon » September 14th, 2007, 9:00 am

isnt there ads all over the radio about it?
i'm sick of hearing about t hem!>
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Postby EdFairmontGhia » September 14th, 2007, 9:13 am

yeah with that idiot lady who like to puff muffins or something like that?
EdFairmontGhia
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 0 time

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby fordbaby » September 14th, 2007, 9:49 am

EFFalcon wrote:isnt there ads all over the radio about it?

your just sick of hearing about it because you need to get private health soon hahahaha

i have thought about getting as, as have made tones of visits to the hospitals but i just keep forgetting about it
fordbaby
Stickers
Stickers

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Postby LTDHO » September 14th, 2007, 10:01 am

EFFalcon wrote:isnt there ads all over the radio about it?

Yeah NIB adversite everywhere.....

I'm with NIB, good business, claiming is no problem.
Going of the rails on a crazy train
LTDHO
Full Boost

Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 36 times

Postby XR8TickfordBoy » September 14th, 2007, 10:02 am

Health insurance is for rich people!
Inquired for myself a few months ago and for anything decent was upwards of $90 a month, plus u have waiting periods so u cant even take advantage of the benefits for ages anyway!
If shit happens and u end up in hospital medicare costs nothing anyway!
94 EF XR8-Monza Red, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, Pacemaker Extractors, Twin 2.5" Cats, Single 3" Exhaust, Rebuilt Auto, Stage 2 Shift Kit & 2,500RPM Stall, Rebuilt LSD Diff with 4.11 Gears, King Ultra's, pedder's Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR8TickfordBoy
Idling

Postby Bipolar » September 14th, 2007, 12:26 pm

http://www.iselect.com.au

Medicare doesn't cover everything, you don't wanna be waiting for 3-24 months if you need surgury, and if you do have to pay for it, you will be poor for a long time.

ahm seem to be the best for me and quite a few other people I know, but the website above will determine that for you. It's like a free health insurance broker.
RBKILA wrote:yes im sure 99% of the hate is just jealousy from morons.
the same sort of people you see at bathurst, wearing all the hrt gear and then you see them get into a camry in the car park lol
Bipolar

Has Liked: 741 times
Been Liked: 225 times

1997 Ford Falcon

Postby Damo » September 14th, 2007, 3:19 pm

yeah, I have already checked out the iselect website, and ahm came up as the cheapest, but not many options at all. I was more interested if people my age seem to bother with it. Waiting to claim on stuff sucks.
Damo
Full Boost

Postby XR8TickfordBoy » September 14th, 2007, 10:37 pm

I used that iselect website, but I got the impression they were just flogging particular companies. There's probably brokers that could find you a good deal.
94 EF XR8-Monza Red, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, Pacemaker Extractors, Twin 2.5" Cats, Single 3" Exhaust, Rebuilt Auto, Stage 2 Shift Kit & 2,500RPM Stall, Rebuilt LSD Diff with 4.11 Gears, King Ultra's, pedder's Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR8TickfordBoy
Idling

Postby Damo » September 14th, 2007, 10:57 pm

nah i'm over it now, like you said private health insurance is for rich kents. I need a new pair of glasses and spewing i can't claim it back, my last pair were about $500 and I got most of it back.
Damo
Full Boost

Postby Schmee » September 14th, 2007, 11:13 pm

Health Insurance is like car insurance the best provider known to man is Smith and Wesson...:)

alternatively you can go with Browning or Glock the choice is yours

for bonus cover get a balaclava
Schmee
Spooling Up

Been Liked: 1 time

Postby old_mate » September 15th, 2007, 12:36 am

Schmee wrote:Health Insurance is like car insurance the best provider known to man is Smith and Wesson...:)

alternatively you can go with Browning or Glock the choice is yours

for bonus cover get a balaclava

So when you get the flu you'll shoot it?

or yourself?
G6E Turbo.
old_mate
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Postby five point slow » September 15th, 2007, 1:16 am

Join the defence force and make everyone else pay for you.

Best scam ever.
five point slow
Spooling Up

Postby XR8TickfordBoy » September 15th, 2007, 2:50 am

Barge8 wrote:Join the defence force and make everyone else pay for you.

Best scam ever.

+1 for that!

Health Insurance is all cool, but i'll get it when ive got money to throw around.
A part-time working/student cannot even contemplate health insurance.
XR8TickfordBoy
Idling

Postby Eb Barbie » September 17th, 2007, 11:26 am

Private Health Insurance is definately the way to go. I had a back operation bout 5 yrs ago for scoliosis (crooked spine) The longer I waited, the worse it got and started caving in my lungs. We had just changed to private Health and luckily got the operation the next month. The cost was approx $35,000!! Luckily private Health covered most and mum and dad were only out of pocket $8,000.
Im not sure if Im covered in mum and dads health now im over 18, but probly should look into it.
Past: EB Falcon Turbo
Now: AU Fairlane V8
Eb Barbie
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 106 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Postby stevo » September 17th, 2007, 11:28 am

Eb Barbie wrote:Private Health Insurance is definately the way to go. I had a back operation bout 5 yrs ago for scoliosis (crooked spine) The longer I waited, the worse it got and started caving in my lungs. We had just changed to private Health and luckily got the operation the next month. The cost was approx $35,000!! Luckily private Health covered most and mum and dad were only out of pocket $8,000.
Im not sure if Im covered in mum and dads health now im over 18, but probly should look into it.

I think you are unless they take you off it.(not sure). Damn, 35000, gotta love heath insurance! I myself dont have it but Leah does.
stevo
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 9 times

1997 Ford Fairmont

Postby Damo » September 17th, 2007, 11:44 am

Bethany, you should be covered under your parents policy until you're 23. After looking into it, I've decided it's too expensive at my age. Hopefully I don't get scoliosis, I don't have a spare 35k.
Damo
Full Boost

Postby Eb Barbie » September 17th, 2007, 12:24 pm

stevo wrote:I think you are unless they take you off it.(not sure). Damn, 35000, gotta love heath insurance! I myself dont have it but Leah does.

Yeah I hope so. I cant afford for anything like that to happen. Would much rather put that on a house deposit!!

Damo wrote:Bethany, you should be covered under your parents policy until you're 23. After looking into it, I've decided it's too expensive at my age. Hopefully I don't get scoliosis, I don't have a spare 35k.

Hopefully I am, mum was going to look into it awhile ago but she hasnt got round to it yet. Yay for being 18 and covered by my folks! Haha I doubt you will get scoliosis. Altho it is pretty common, some worse then others though. My friend had same thing and was seeing doctors etc via public. They had heaps to pay PLUS she only got the operation done February this year! Huge waiting lists!
Eb Barbie
Hitting N2O

Postby Damo » September 17th, 2007, 12:51 pm

Now I have a fear of scoliosis. Thanks Bethany. :lol:
Damo
Full Boost

Postby Eb Barbie » September 17th, 2007, 1:37 pm

Damo wrote:Now I have a fear of scoliosis. Thanks Bethany. :lol:

bahaha you dont have a fear of scoliosis, just the bill you get with it. I recommend good health insurance though, Id rather pay a little more in my insurance then have to pay a shitload if you need somthing done and dont have it.
Eb Barbie
Hitting N2O

Postby FRDXR6 » September 17th, 2007, 4:14 pm

Some things i learnt in Tax Law this semester....

If you earn over $50k you get slugged a 1% medicare levy surcharge if you don't have private health insurance.

You can also get a private health insurance tax offset - you can claim a 30% offset on your premium if you took out health insurance.

So say you earn 50k a year and health insurance is $960 ($80/month).

Health Premium = $960
minus medicare surcharge = $500
minus tax offset = $288
Actual Cost To You = $172 ($14.33/month)

Although if you earn't under $50k the savings would be a lot less obviously bit you would still save a couple of hundred each year if you took advantage of the tax system ;)
1JZ + R154 + Torsen LSD = good times
FRDXR6
Idling

Postby MightyXR6Turbo » September 24th, 2007, 8:42 pm

FRDXR6 wrote:Some things i learnt in Tax Law this semester....

If you earn over $50k you get slugged a 1% medicare levy surcharge if you don't have private health insurance.

You can also get a private health insurance tax offset - you can claim a 30% offset on your premium if you took out health insurance.

So say you earn 50k a year and health insurance is $960 ($80/month).

Health Premium = $960
minus medicare surcharge = $500
minus tax offset = $288
Actual Cost To You = $172 ($14.33/month)

Although if you earn't under $50k the savings would be a lot less obviously bit you would still save a couple of hundred each year if you took advantage of the tax system ;)

Not quite right. Almost every single Health Insurance provider takes the 30% Private Health Insurance Offset into account in giving you their price per month/year/whatever. In 99.9% of cases people will be claiming the rebate in the form of reduced fees from the Health Insurance provider. Next to no one chooses to get it on their tax return because they have to pay more by the month. (Trust me on that one, I audit those ;) ). It'd be a good idea to not make a mistake on that, because the ATO does audit this every year, and you will get caught with it.

It is good for Medicare Levy Surcharge though, because I mean, if you are going to spend over $500 randomly to the government then you may as well get insurance instead.

Anyway, go to http://www.australia.gov.au. It has a Private Health Insurance thingo, you put in your information, and it finds the best policies for you. Being a Govt website, they don't really care who you go with as long as you choose someone so they try to give you a cheap option! lol.
MightyXR6Turbo
Idling

Postby nathancampbell » July 21st, 2023, 8:12 am

Medicare insurance agents are your trusted advisors for healthcare coverage. With their expert knowledge, personalized recommendations, plan comparison expertise, enrollment assistance, and ongoing support, they provide invaluable guidance throughout the entire Medicare process. By seeking The you can have peace of mind knowing that you are making informed decisions about your healthcare coverage. So, take advantage of their services and ensure you have a trusted advisor by your side when it comes to navigating the complexities of Medicare.
nathancampbell
Cranking Over

Return to General Discussion