Replacing Self Leveling Shocks

Walk throughs on modifcations

Replacing Self Leveling Shocks

Postby EFFalcon » December 14th, 2007, 10:04 am

Article by The Goodz

NOTE: The E-Series Owners Club and the writers of the articles take no responsibility for any damage or problems or grief that may be a result of following one of our articles. Make sure you know what you are doing, are confident and competent before commencing any activity. You do so at your own risk!

Written by Alex Stojan

This article will show you how to replace the self levelling shock absorbers in NA/NC Fairlanes and DA/DC LTDs. This is an easy job, and should take around half an hour at the most. I take no responsibility for anything you stuff up, you follow this tutorial at your own risk.

Step 1

Jack up your car and support it with chassis stands. Do not jack the vehicle up at the axle, use the chassis. The picture shows no chassis stands but that's only because I didn't have any at the time. Remove the wheel.
Step 2

Remove the plastic trim panel covering the rear upper shock mount. This is located just behind the rear seat backrest on either side of the boot opening. Undo the plastic cap at the top of the shock, remove it along with the airline.CAUTION: There is a small O-ring that fits around the airline which is on the underside of the plastic cap. Do not lose this, you will need it when you're putting it back together. If it's not on the airline, it's probably still on the top of the shocker.

Once the airline has been removed, undo the upper shock absorber bolt, and remove the steel plate, and the rubber bush. Undo the 4 bolts holding the shock absorber mount, and remove.
Step 3

Get under the vehicle and undo the bottom shock absorber mount nut, and remove the bolt. If you look like what I did in the photo to the far right, requiring the wall for leverage, then you're probably turning the nut the wrong way, like I did. It will keep getting tighter, so it's hard to tell.
Step 4

Remove the shock absorber through the hole at the top. Installation is a reversal of this procedure. Ensure all bushes and plates and everything is the same as before. It's not a bad idea to replace the airline o-ring. This o-ring is often the cause of leaks, so changing it is always a good thing.
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Re: Replacing Self Leveling Shocks

Postby Amon » July 5th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Not sure about anyone else but i cant see photos... i got some from when i did mine if that helps at all

Jacked car up on stands, removed plastic covers behind back seat
Jacked diff up slightly

^^ Undid top of shockers and then released jack

^^ undid nut and removed bolt from bottom of shock and pulled shocker out from underneath

at this point the springs will come out easily

Pushed new shocks back in and slid bolt through both

^^Removed shocker cap and jacked up diff so shocker was poking thru hole. Then put cap over and tighten all nuts on cap and shocker

Released jack and tightened bottom nut and bolt on shockers.
Beef or chicken ming mongs
Amon
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 2 times

1994 Ford XR6

Postby nc2bustedbags » March 5th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Does anybody know where I can still get the air shocks (sls) for nc2
nc2bustedbags
Cranking Over

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby nc2bustedbags » March 5th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Does anybody know where I can still get the air shocks (sls) for nc2
nc2bustedbags
Cranking Over

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby speed.freak » March 18th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Any half decent parts mob should be able to source you them. I got some for my NA about 12 months or so ago, but that was via the local mechanic for a RWC. They were/are Monroe so doubt they're hard to source..

You're probably better off converting to the conventional spring/shock setup though.
NAII Fairlane - LTD Grille - White venetians - 3.9L - 4 speed - Stock
speed.freak
Cruising

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Return to Tutorials