Thermofan Conversion

Walk throughs on modifcations

Thermofan Conversion

Postby EFFalcon » December 14th, 2007, 10:01 am

Adding Thermofans to your EA/EB/ED
By Neb
NOTE: The E-Series Owners Club and the writers of the articles take no responsibility for any damage or problems or grief that may be a result of following one of our articles. Make sure you know what you are doing, are confident and competent before commencing any activity. You do so at your own risk!

This is a popular mod that alot of people are starting to do and is a relatively easy modification that most people will be able to do themselves.

Advantages
Less fan noise coming from the engine bay (no more noisy clutch fan!).
Less stress on the engine having to push a big clutch fan.
Possible improved fuel economy (I havn't noticed if its improved or not, my engine has been running really poor fuel wise (this started before the thermo fan conversion)).
Engine gets to operating temperature quicker (less engine wear).
More control over engine temperature - you can set what temperature the fans turn on
Improved cooling
And my favourite... The engine revs quite a bit easier and possibly more power? I don't know if more power has been proven but definately revs easier/quicker.

Disadvantages
More load on battery/alternator (although this hasn't caused any problems for me, just when the car is sitting still at traffic lights etc, the battery needle drops a bit).
Fan noise, The EL thermo fans can actually make a bit of noise when they're on, but still alot quieter than the clutch fan. I think aftermarket fans would be quieter but more work to mount properly

Tools32mm (6cyl) or 36mm (8cyl) sized spanner or try your luck with a shifter to remove clutch fan
Water pump securing tool or big flathead screwdriver
A set of spanners and screwdrivers may come in handy
Crimping Tool
Wire Cutter/Stripper
Drill (you may need a drill to mount the Thermatic Switch but it does come with self tapping screws)

Parts
EL Thermo Fans (and bolts)
Davies Craig Thermatic Switch
Relay 12v 4pin 40amp (pins 85, 87, 86, 30)
Blade Fuse Holder
Blade Fuse 30amp
Female Blade Connectors 2.5mm-3mm
Ring Terminal Connector
Wire (I used twin core 10amp red black trace fig8 (easier to wire))
Coolant (to top up radiator)

Removal of the clutch fan
1. Detach fan shroud retaining screws from the radiator (the fan shroud will then be loose and you can move it around).

2.Detach air box intake snorkel and battery snorkel then remove them from the vehicle.

3.Unscrew the large clutch fan nut with your spanner or shifter (left hand thread for 6 cylinders). If you have a water pump securing tool i'm sure it would make this alot easier, otherwise use a large flathead spanner and jam it in between the smaller nuts to try and hold the water pump still. I managed to wedge it between the water pump nuts and the powersteering pump. The clutch fan nut can be quite hard to loosen but keep trying different positions until you can get a good grip and the waterpump still and you should be able to get it.

4.You can now remove the fan/clutch and shroud from the vehicle!

Installing the Thermo Fans (EL Thermo Fans)
1.Slide the thermo fans down against the inside of the radiator, it should rest comfortably in the bottom.

2.Bolt the thermo fans to the top of the radiator with the original thermo fan bolts. You will need a nut for it to screw in to, and may need some washers to pack it out slightly if the bolt is too long.

Installing the Davies Craig Thermatic Switch
1.Follow the instructions provided with the thermatic switch, they are much more detailed than these instructions.
Undo the top radiator hose (at the radiator end) and let any coolant flow out.

2.Carefully unwind the copper wire on the thermatic switch and bend into a suitable shape to go from the mounting point of the thermatic switch into the radiator hose.

3.Mount the thermatic switch. I mounted it just infront of the airbox. The kit contains self tapping screws for a secure fit, but you may need to use a drill. When mounting keep in mind of putting it somewhere out of the way but also easy to reach for adjusting it.

4.Place the copper wire sensor into the radiator hose. Use the small piece of rubber provided to make a better seal. Do the radiator hose up fairly tight. You might have to use some silicone or some kind of sealant if the hose leaks.

Follow the wiring diagram provided with the Davies Craig thermatic switch

I used the second wiring diagram (Twin Fans, Thermatic Only). But it may be different for you, i.e. if you're only using one fan or if you wish to hook it up to your air conditioner you will have to follow a different diagram and may need more or less wiring parts.

Use female blade connectors to connect to the thermatic switch, the thermo fan socket and the relays.

1.Run a single wire from an ignition source to the thermatic switch (I used the same wire that the head unit uses for ignition).

2.Decide where you are going to mount/hide your relays and run two wires from the thermatic switch (one wire to the 86 pin on one relay, the second wire to the 86 pin on the second relay).

3.Run two wires from one relay to the first thermo fan. The 85 pin on the relay is negative, 87 pin is positive.

4.Repeat for the second relay (ie. wires from the same pins, to the second thermo fan).

5.Each 85 pin wire also needs to be earthed, Earth either somewhere on the body or to the negative of the battery.

6.Run a wire from the 30 pin on the relay to a fuse holder and a wire from the fuse holder to the positive on the battery (use the ring terminals to connect to the battery). Repeat for the second relay.

7.Put a 30amp fuse in to each fuse holder.

8.Secure all the wiring (cable ties work ok), and Relays and Fuse Holders.

Settings
1.Before you do anything top the coolant up to the correct level, and put the airbox and battery snorkel back in.

2.Turn the adjusting nob on the davies craig thermatic switch all the way anti-clockwise, You should hear a click.

3.Now start the car. The thermo fans should come on straight away. If not you have done something wrong and better check over your wiring.

4.If the thermo fans are running, have a quick look to make sure they are turning the right way. If they aren't swap the positive and negative wires around.

5.Now rotate the nob on the thermatic switch back clockwise all of the way. The fans will turn off.

6.Wait for the car to get just above the normal operating temperature then rotate the nob on the thermatic switch anti-clockwise slowly until the fans come on

7.Play around with adjusting the temperature setting on the thermatic switch until you're happy with it. The fans should not be coming on too often. Davies craig suggest that the fans should run between 30-60 seconds at a time. My thermo fans only seem to run when the car is stationery, not very often do they run when the car is moving.

Completion
Congratulations, If you've gotten this far you have hopefully installed the thermo fans without any problems!

Now over the next couple of weeks, keep an eye on your temperature guage. Make sure the engine isn't getting too hot. Adjust the thermatic switch if you think the fans are coming on too often, or if they aren't coming on soon enough. Also if you need the fans to come on alot to keep the car cool, I would suggest flushing your radiator out, and if that doesn't work get it checked by a professional.

I also suggest sealing up the relays and fuses to keep them away from any water. I bought a small black plastic box from jaycar electronics and sealed them in that. You just need to cut a hole for the wires to go through, and then tape up all the gaps to keep it waterproof.

Thats it! I hope you enjoy the conversion. Feel free to post any feedback, If you think this website was helpful or if you think that anything needs improvement let me know. Thanks! Very Happy
1995 Falcon GLi | 1997 EL GT | 1995 Falcon Futura | 1983 Thunderbird Heritage | 2003 Fairmont Ghia
EFFalcon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 765 times

1995 Ford Falcon

Re: Thermofan Conversion

Postby burnt turtle » January 26th, 2008, 5:48 pm

i did this b4 i red this thread and i suggest 2 seal the thermostatic switch aswell.
burnt turtle
Full Boost

Has Liked: 62 times
Been Liked: 10 times

2003 Ford Fairlane

Postby Amon » January 28th, 2008, 7:07 pm

y is that u got water or sumshit in ur switch??
Beef or chicken ming mongs
Amon
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 2 times

1994 Ford XR6

Postby Commando » January 28th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Yeah, because if your top hose leaks under pressure it can piss a little coolant out behind the LHS headlight. If your switch/fuses are there and "exposed" rather than sealed, the coolant can cause them to short. Like mine did :lol:
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby burnt turtle » January 29th, 2008, 5:30 pm

my dads leaked coolant into the switch but i think mine got dirt in it or sumps stopped workin i pulled it apart cleaned the contact and it works fine now, mines mounted on rh side of engine bay out of way of collant gettin in!
burnt turtle
Full Boost

Has Liked: 62 times
Been Liked: 10 times

2003 Ford Fairlane

Postby Bazza J » December 3rd, 2008, 6:20 pm

dam clutch fans, i busted 2 large screwdrivers 2day tring 2 remove the thing, i've tried using a hammer on the spanner, and it still doesnt want to move, is there another way to remove it????
thanks
Daily:1993 Toyota 4 Runner, 5 speed Manual, 2.8L N/A diesel
Project: Ford 1976 ZH Fairlane Marquis 351 Clevo & C4 shiftkitted auto - in the build
Bazza J
Cruising

Been Liked: 0 time

Postby Commando » December 3rd, 2008, 6:47 pm

Which way are you trying to undo it?
Previous: 1982 XE GL 3.3: 5 speed | 1991 EB Ghia 5.0: Vortech, Tiptronic, 4.11s, 232rwkw | 1995 EF GLi 4.0 wagon: LPG | 2006 BF Fairmont 4.0: JTG LiLPG
Now: 2016 Hilux SR HiRider
Commando

Been Liked: 516 times

2006 Ford Fairmont

Postby Bazza J » December 3rd, 2008, 6:57 pm

i broke the 1st screwdriver trying towards the battery and the 2nd away
Project: Ford 1976 ZH Fairlane Marquis 351 Clevo & C4 shiftkitted auto - in the build
Bazza J
Cruising

Postby Malakai » December 3rd, 2008, 7:04 pm

I have recently done this on my EA. I nearly busted a screw driver trying to get the clutch fan off. I decided to spray the big nut that screws the clutch fan onto the thread with WD40 and leave it for half and hour. I came back and it came off very easily. I was expecting some fight to be left in it still but it collapsed like a house of cards. WD40 FTW!
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Been Liked: 32 times

Postby Bazza J » December 3rd, 2008, 7:24 pm

i tried a bit of that 2, i might spray a heap on saturday arvo and have another go, thanks for the help guys
Bazza J
Cruising

Postby e series falcon » December 3rd, 2008, 8:05 pm

hey guys my dad had a tool made up to take off clutch fans on x series and it works on e series it is the best no pissin around can show piks if want
ed futura
e series falcon
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 3 times

Postby Malakai » December 3rd, 2008, 9:20 pm

The manual I have has a template with the measurements for making one, could follow that I suppose.
FG G6E Turbo MkII - Nizpro Stage 3 - 364 rwkW - 11.63 sec @ 118 mp/h | I like the dark, I love the dark, but I hate nature. Image
Malakai
Double Clutching

Been Liked: 32 times

Postby 2E's » December 18th, 2008, 9:40 pm

i will have to do this with the new thermos i have
2E's
Idling

Postby 2E's » December 18th, 2008, 9:45 pm

i will have to do this with the new thermos i have
2E's
Idling

Postby G.EB » November 17th, 2010, 5:07 pm

What type of Davies Craig switch? And where from?

Cheers
Cruisin' in:
2010 D22 Navara ST-R daily
93' ED fmont original 95000 km
69' XW fmont work in progress
G.EB
Idling

Been Liked: 2 times

Postby [D1SCNT] » November 21st, 2010, 11:33 pm

i tryed getting a davies craig from repco in oakleigh the other day and they told me they dont carry them any more, only had a brand called iCE. so i got it.

did this in the ED but the fans are both on once you click to ignition, cant get them to switch off. try'd swapping ignition from switch to relay and other way around it doesn't make a difference.

also doesn't matter if i rotate the switch clock wise or anti they still just stay on:P
[D1SCNT]

Postby CAGS » November 22nd, 2010, 6:25 am

I got a Davies Craig Thermal Switch and Relay kit (Part No 04040) from Supercheap the other day, think it was around $65. You could also try Tuff Car Parts.
XG Panelvan
CAGS
Cruising

Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 9 times

Postby sexyr6 » November 22nd, 2010, 7:43 am

you may find this helpfull.. Here
Daily Driver - 92 EBII Fairmont Wagon, 347.

The Tow Rig - 81 F100 SWB 351c

The Toy - 94 ED XR6 5spd Turbo.

seXyR6's Build Thread
seXyR6's Garage
EBW-347 Build Thread
EBW-347 Garage
81 F100 Showroom
sexyr6
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 36 times

1994 Ford XR6 5spd

Postby [D1SCNT] » November 22nd, 2010, 5:28 pm

yer turn's out repco sold me a dud switch.
[D1SCNT]

Postby needfordspeed » March 5th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Thanks for the doco John, I followed this and they worked first shot.

But I got a question, does anyone know how to setup the relays for a negative trigger? I gotta do this to run my fans through the microtech.
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby Dansedgli » March 5th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Battery to pins 85 and 87. Pin 30 to fans and Pin 86 to earth to turn them on.

Dansedgli
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 75 times
Been Liked: 542 times

2001 Ford Falcon Ute

Postby travs ea-xr6 » March 9th, 2011, 5:11 pm

here is how ive done it before
travs ea-xr6
Full Boost

Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 8 times

Postby -fairmont- » September 23rd, 2012, 11:49 am

Hi, I'm doing this conversion but not using the davies craig switch. what temp. sensor would I need to use?
Chargd wrote:dont worry mate, it isnt your fault your mum and dad share the same parents.

obsezd wrote:Never knew they allowed grandparents to keep dynos at the retirement village

Bipolar wrote:Basically I park assuming everyone else is retarded.
-fairmont-
Cruising

Has Liked: 51 times
Been Liked: 18 times

1990 Ford POS EA

Postby XR_Lightning » September 23rd, 2012, 8:46 pm

You will need a thermatic switch, I use a Tridon one, Part Number is #TFS148, Thread: M16, Temp: 95 - 90 degrees celsius

The switch screws in the bottom thermostat housing where that orange blanking plug is, there are alot neater than having the ugly davies craig probe in the top radiator hose
ED XR6 - T5 - 1521a@112 - 3.9's - 170.2rwkw - POWERED BY METALLICA
XR_Lightning
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1076 times
Been Liked: 487 times

1993 Ford ED Falcon XR6

Return to Tutorials