Replacing a heater core / evaporator on an AU falcon

Walk throughs on modifcations

Replacing a heater core / evaporator on an AU falcon

Postby rhys » August 28th, 2011, 11:48 pm : nxw990 Likes this post

Well this is my very first doco and I was quite pushed for time while I was doing it so hopefully I managed to get adequate info.

The caption referring to each picture will be ABOVE the image it refers to.

First start by removing your radio (sorry not pictured as I didnt have one in at the time) and then the screws which support the fascia piece.
lol at paint spelling mistake.

Next remove the cover plate which runs along the windscreen. Pretty simple so only one pic of that.

Now you can get access to remove the three mounting points at the back of the dash.

This last one is a bit confusing. Red = where the bolt should be. Blue = an earth strap, DO NOT FORGET THIS BEHIND THE DASH WHEN REASSEMBLING or you will need to bring dash forward to access it again. Pink = the mount point for the cover we removed previously. Green line = where my dash was broken upon moving it when I bought it :-( They are very brittle so be careful not to over tighten when rebuilding or it will crack.

Remove the centre console, sorry no pics but there are 6 mount points. 2 under drink holder area, 2 under cigarette lighter area and 2 bolts which mount next to the front seats rear mount points.
Once removed you will have access to the two mount points under the dash as seen below.

Now there are only 4 mounting points left which are the main ones. Try to disconnect as many wires as possible at this stage. Although its easier when the dash is slightly brought forward your helpers will be cursing you while you fiddle around they hold the dash up. Here are a couple of plugs shown close up to see how they work. See later pictures for overview of where plugs are.
But for an idea, you need to unplug: ECU, Vacuum lines on heater box, white plug right next to vacuum line plug on the passenger side. Now on drivers side you need to unplug 2 big white connectors, one orange plug next to upper white one, main power supply to fuse box only and any crap coming down from steering wheel. There are more going up there than you would expect, maybe 5-6 plugs.

The pic below will help when disconnecting wires as well as with heater box and steering wheel. I neglected to mention that you needed to drop the steering wheel down prior to removing dash so in the approximate position of the two green circles there were two 10mm bolts holding it up. The red circles show the points where the heater box was mounted and the blue circle shows an area that takes some care before removing the box. Lots of little clippy things

Before tugging away at the box there are three points which must be disconnected to allow it to separate from the firewall. The blue circle shows an area which is hidden by the washer bottle, it carries the vacuum through the firewall so that you may change the area where the air comes out. The red is the air con, this should be degassed prior to disconnection as its illegal to vent this to the air because it destroys the o-zone layer. When you take it apart a small amount of gas will still come out but will only last a few seconds. Finally there are two hoses which go into and out of the heater core. These are not shown but are most easily accessed from below. They are quite tough to get off so do yourself a favour and jack the car up, its worth it. My heater core had been bypassed because the leak was massive so no coolant was in the hoses. But if yours has not been bypassed you will need to drain the coolant first.

And here is the final product. I didnt show how many screws to undo cos its a piece of piss. There are 22 screws to take out. One is hidden in a recess so be careful. There is a goo-ey black silicon type adhesive along the bottom of the box only. This needs to be separated very very carefully as the plastic is brittle and snaps really easily. And that could ruin everything as a new heater box lid wont be easy to find, take your time with this. We used a really small flat head to pry it open and a stanley knife to cut the goo as we went. It easily peels off when warmed.
The blue area is where the A/C evaporator sits and the red is where the heater core sits. - Clearly we had to clear out lots of crap from the box and evaporator.

Final note: the box has 4 locating tabs for when you put the lid back on, when its all assembled make sure you check the operation of the white tab which flaps the door inside around (between red and blue square). If these 4 tabs arent aligned the door wont go! If I didnt test this would could have easily installed the whole thing back in only to find it was stuck one way meaning you get only hot or cold air from it.

And thats all the pics I have for now. I uploaded all pics except one because it wasnt sent to me from my girlfriends phone so ill pop that up tomorrow. It just showed the difference between cores and where mine had failed.

I hope this is able to help someone out in future. I would allow two full days to tackle this if it was your first time. Make sure you get some soft sealing goo to reseal the box properly at the base. Im sure ill be making some edits to this but if you have any questions please let me know.
1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 5 spd manual - 33" mud tyres - BBQ gas - Slower than your nannas corolla - Goes anywhere you point it

AU Falcon - Sold
Tickford 4L - Pod - XR6 Turbo snorkel - Custom Stainless Intake - SS Inductions T/B - Ph4480's - 3" 200CPSI Hi flow cat - Custom Exhaust - T5 - Exedy HD clutch - SVI LPG - Premium sound - T3 TE50 kit - Bollé Tint - Full XR8 interior
rhys
Full Boost

Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 8 times

1998 Ford Falcon

Re: Replacing a heater core / evaporator on an AU falcon

Postby WILDEL » September 9th, 2011, 10:19 pm

what happens if you done reseal the bottom of the box properly? i did mine in my el afew weeks ago and since then i have afew problems, my fan doesnt work and for some reason when i turn the knob to make it warm it doesnt go warm,when i want to direct the breeze some where doesnt go any where.and ive noticed a breeze near the radio lol
WILDEL
Idling

Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby rhys » September 9th, 2011, 10:56 pm

hmm I reckon you have a couple issues there. The direction is most likely due to having no vacuum at the knob.

See the third last picture I have and look in the blue circle. The vacuum comes through around this point, disconnect with motor on and if you hear hissing then you have vacuum coming through if not then something is probably off on the engine bay side, see the blue circle in the second last picture for where the vacuum goes through.

With the resealing of the box you probably have air escaping there which may contribute to a weak fan, but if you stick your hand under the dash you should be able to feel it.

Finally temp control is cable operated unless you have climate control, so its pretty hard to stuff that one up :P id check the former points first though.
1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 5 spd manual - 33" mud tyres - BBQ gas - Slower than your nannas corolla - Goes anywhere you point it

AU Falcon - Sold
Tickford 4L - Pod - XR6 Turbo snorkel - Custom Stainless Intake - SS Inductions T/B - Ph4480's - 3" 200CPSI Hi flow cat - Custom Exhaust - T5 - Exedy HD clutch - SVI LPG - Premium sound - T3 TE50 kit - Bollé Tint - Full XR8 interior
rhys
Full Boost

1998 Ford Falcon

Postby WILDEL » September 10th, 2011, 10:49 pm

yeah well i did have a hissing sound coming from behind the glove box but it was a wiring plug pushing up against the hoses that go to the controls.no i dont have climate control how do i get vacuum in the controls?
WILDEL
Idling

Postby rhys » September 10th, 2011, 11:52 pm

ok well that hissing was the vacuum. Just so we are clear, vacuum is the suction that is created by the engine which is being used here to operate controls.

Next step is to remove the fascia piece and see if there is vac at the controls. If there is vac there then you will need to check if you plugged everything back onto the heat box properly. But before any of that, go to a quiet area with motor on and listen very carefully when you turn the air direction control knob. As it switches between the activated hoses you should hear a little hissing sound as it swaps. If there is, maybe the reason for no air pressure is that the air is being blown out the bottom of the box, so no matter where the heater box directs the air it will always leak out there. Thats the worst case scenario as it requires pulling the whole dash off and box out again to seal it up :-/

AU Falcon - Sold
rhys
Full Boost

1998 Ford Falcon

Postby WILDEL » September 11th, 2011, 7:00 pm

alright thanks for that info mate.knowing my luck ill have to pull it all out again.taking it out last time took me 4 days hahaha but i didnt know what i was doing.i reckon it would take me 2 hours to get the box out now haha it didnt take me long to put it all back together.but yeah ive noticeds that when i turn the knob to direct the air (air doesnt come out anywhere any way) there is a little hissing in the controls.im guessing i have to re seal the box??
WILDEL
Idling

Postby rhys » September 11th, 2011, 10:57 pm

is there hissing during normal operation? If so then that vacuum leak could be whats not allowing the air direction to be swapped around. Make sure you test everything you can because I knew what I was doing and it took many hours. I reckon I could do it in about 5 hours now with two people working away knowing what to do.

So before you take the dash off make sure you find out there the air IS going. Because if your fan is spinning the air must be going somewhere. Did you reconnect the fan correctly? Can you hear it blowing as you turn the speed knob?

AU Falcon - Sold
rhys
Full Boost

1998 Ford Falcon

Postby WILDEL » September 12th, 2011, 1:34 am

nar man i can only hear the vacuum when i turn the knob.and my fan doesnt work at all i can play with the knob all day fan doesnt work.
WILDEL
Idling

Postby WILDEL » September 12th, 2011, 1:35 am

nar man i can only hear the vacuum when i turn the knob.and my fan doesnt work at all i can play with the knob all day fan doesnt work.musnt of connected it or something i dont know.
WILDEL
Idling

Postby rhys » September 12th, 2011, 9:15 am

ok well that sounds like good news to me. A short burst of hissing when you turn it means your vacuum is working! It sounds to me like you simply forgot to reconnect the fan motor. This should be a piss easy job. Take your glove box out (should just pop out of hinges) and the fan power connector is a clear white two pin plug in the shape of an 'L'. Plug those back together and it should be all good. If you cant see it from behind glove box you may need to remove centre console and stick your arm up there.

Look at the third last pic I posted. Now see the bottom right hand red circle? Just outside there is a white connector, thats for the fan power. Should this STILL not make it work then be sure to check all your fuses.

Cheers

AU Falcon - Sold
rhys
Full Boost

1998 Ford Falcon

Return to Tutorials