Changing globes in your instrumentation (EA-ED)

Walk throughs on modifcations

Changing globes in your instrumentation (EA-ED)

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » July 11th, 2008, 4:45 pm

.How to replace/change/upgrade globes out of your instrument setup in your EA-ED

© 2008 Kyle the ED4LTR

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: The E-Series Owners Club/BoostedFalcon.net and the writers of the articles take no responsibility for any damage or problems or grief that may be a result of following one of our articles. Make sure you know what you are doing, are confident and competent before commencing any activity. You do so at your own risk!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tools Required:

Phillips Head Screwdriver
Torx (Anti Theft) fittings to remove head unit (Size varies, mine was size 20)
Replacement W5W Wedge Bulbs (Quantity depends on what you are replacing, if you are changing the colour roughly 8 will be required depending if your car is manual)(If you plan on changing the globes)
(http://stores.ebay.com.au/warden-jp2002) is where I bought the blue ones I had, try and find the brightest ones there if you’re making them colour and not just a standard globe, to save trouble if your only wanting to replace the globes, they can be bought from any auto store (AutoBarn, Supercheap Auto, Bursons).

Once you have all of the above, then it is time to get started, at most it should take an hour tops to complete this depending on your skill at anything hands on. Remember to read these instructions and take note of the pictures as they will make this so much easier.

1. Make sure your car is not on an incline as the handbrake will need to be released to unscrew some parts.

2. Make sure your steering column has been pulled down and pulled towards you so other parts can be removed, another alternative is to remove the steering wheel.

3. Now it’s time to start unscrewing stuff, (REMEMBER! – Keep screws that you pull from different areas separate, make it easier to re-assemble). Same for opposite side buttons

4. After you have unscrewed the screws from the button panels on each side, there will be a screw underneath the cluster surround that will need to be removed.(Mine have been removed already). Same for the opposite side.

5. Now it is time to remove the screws off the top of the dashboard surround, and this is why the steering column needs to be put down (to make easier access for the screwdriver.)

6. Now after these screws have been removed the surround should easily be able to be lifted out from the dashboard very easily.

7. Now it is time to start pulling out the cluster, there are 2 screws at the bottom of the cluster to remove and 2 at the top (Top ones can be found easily) (Bottom ones have been removed already).

8. Now to remove the cluster from the dashboard, put LIGHT! Pressure on the top and it should pop out, and remove the plugs to make work easier (NOTE: The plugs are clicked in so press the tab on each of the plugs to pull them out).

9. Now the cluster should be out all ready to be worked on, the globes marked with red are the ones that illuminate the cluster.

Make sure when you replace the globes that the connectors on the globe are making contact with the connectors on the holder.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At this point that is the cluster done, if this as far as you wanted to go, just go in reverse order of the steps and put everything back together, if you want to continue to the Clock/Trip Computer, keep reading.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Now to get to the Clock/Trip Computer will require more things to be unscrewed, this is where the Torx fittings will come into play. Firstly, remove the top-left screw on the Fan Control unit/Climate Control as it holds in the Clock/Trip computer Surround.

2. Next screw is in the hole on the surround.

Depending on some cars, the surround should just lift out, if this is the case proceed to Step 6, if not proceed with the existing steps.

3. Now there are 2 screws that do hold in the Clock/trip computer surround but some people remove them, if they are there then the Head unit surround will need to be removed, to remove take out the 2 screws holding it in, then the surround can be easily lifted out.

4. This is where the head unit will need to be removed, remove the 2 screws holding it in (Take out any CD’s as it could damage your head unit when removing) and the head unit should just slide out).

5. After the head unit has been taken out, there will be 2 screws holding in the Clock/Trip Computer surround that will need to be removed, they are awkward to remove. (Mine have already been removed.

6. After these screws have been removed, the Clock/Trip Computer surround should easily lift out, then the back of the Clock/Trip Computer will be visible, look for the Globe and swap it
(Make sure the globe connectors are in contact with the globe holder)

7. All is completed; follow the steps in reverse order to put everything back together.

At this point you can follow the steps in reverse order and put everything back together, the transmission globe is very easy to change
Now is the part to change the globe that illuminates the transmission Letters and Numbers, if you have manual, disregard this part of the tutorial.

1. Get a flathead screwdriver to pop the surround off.

2. The surround should look like this if it is popped off.

3. Then turn the globe holder out of the transmission surround and replace the globe, when done, go in reverse order to put everything back together.

And that concludes the tutorial on changing globes, if it all works then congratulations, if it doesn’t, make sure the globes are not broken and they are plugged in properly.

If there are any errors found in this tutorial or are having difficulty feel free to PM me.

Enjoy

Kyle the ED4LTR.
Last edited by Kyle the ED4LTR on January 25th, 2009, 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
302 Windsor, AU XR8 MAF, Exhaust, Sunroof, Slammed on Pedders, DL LTD Rims, FBT Steering Wheel, EL XR8 3.45LSD
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Phantom Black, Black Chrome Group, Radar Red Leather, Dual Panoramic Sunroof, Mopar CAI. Mopar Front Strut Brace
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 7 times

1994 Ford Falcon

Re: Changing globes in your instrumentation (EA-ED)

Postby Dump3D » July 11th, 2008, 8:08 pm

is there any way to do it without changing the speedo. i kinda like it the way it looks but i would like to do the trip computer and the climate control. please let me know if its possible. thanks mate
Uve - just - been - DUMP3D -

Its fukken loud...
Dump3D
Banned

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 0 time

Postby TriymeD » July 11th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Nice work mate, very good pictures of all screws placings. Now for the head gasket change! :)
1964 Wolseley 24/80 (classic)
1976 Honda Civic 4 Door X 2(green and orange)
1985 Nissan Pulsar ET Turbo (ace fun car)
1993 Fairmont ED Ghia w 98 EL engine and tranny on GAS. (not sad to see it go)
2004 Falcon XR6 Mk II. Fo-shizzle!
TriymeD
Spooling Up

Has Liked: 2 times

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » July 11th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Dump3D wrote:is there any way to do it without changing the speedo. i kinda like it the way it looks but i would like to do the trip computer and the climate control. please let me know if its possible. thanks mate

well to get to the trip computer u gotta remove the cluster surround n e ways, read the instructions carefully.
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
302 Windsor, AU XR8 MAF, Exhaust, Sunroof, Slammed on Pedders, DL LTD Rims, FBT Steering Wheel, EL XR8 3.45LSD
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Phantom Black, Black Chrome Group, Radar Red Leather, Dual Panoramic Sunroof, Mopar CAI. Mopar Front Strut Brace
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby BLCKED » August 2nd, 2008, 12:57 am

good work kyle, your a natrual at tutorials
70mm t/b and maf, extractors and exhaust, 2500 stall, stage 2 shift kit, ultra lows, pioneer/clarion stereo.

soon to be 347...
BLCKED
Banned

Been Liked: 1 time

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » August 2nd, 2008, 8:58 pm

BLCKED wrote:good work kyle, your a natrual at tutorials

cheers Jimmy, i gather u needed to use it?
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby purped » August 2nd, 2008, 10:56 pm

nice one mate will do this when i get my globes
purped
Spooling Up

Postby ed4ltr » August 11th, 2008, 10:34 pm

Good tutorial, looking at changing mine to red, to go with the black car with red pin stipe theme its got goin on :lol: haha

will let ya know how it goes, only doing the speedo cluster so four globes will do yeah?
ed4ltr
Cruising

Has Liked: 2 times

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » August 12th, 2008, 8:52 am

ed4ltr wrote:Good tutorial, looking at changing mine to red, to go with the black car with red pin stipe theme its got goin on :lol: haha

will let ya know how it goes, only doing the speedo cluster so four globes will do yeah?

if thats the only thing u wanna change then yeah.
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby campbells_xr6 » November 6th, 2008, 9:29 pm

any pictures of the end results?
campbells_xr6
Banned

Postby misk » November 6th, 2008, 9:50 pm

are the globes to replace them easy to come by?
anyone got some specifics of what to buy and where?
XG Panelvan
EF bottom end with ported EB head, valve springs, EL ECU & J3 chip, crane HI6 CDI & MSD coil, LC-1 wideband & SSI-4 logger

soon - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine and built head, ems stinger 4424 ecu, powerglide with 5500 high stall etc - next, bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU with TI J3 chip, ported BBM, 3" stainless intake - 12" sub, tub liner and hard lid - mass skids and epic tyre carrying capabilities :)
misk
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 295 times

Postby edfairmont4.0 » November 7th, 2008, 9:25 am

good tutorial, ive been wanting to do my globes, but i cbf lol although i could be bothered converting from mid series to high series (digital) go figure lol...
EL Ghia coil pack conversion, AU Motor, Mild Cam, 4.11s, 150rwkw Fun :)
edfairmont4.0
Banned

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 8 times

1997 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » November 7th, 2008, 10:29 am

edfairmont4.0 wrote:good tutorial, ive been wanting to do my globes, but i cbf lol although i could be bothered converting from mid series to high series (digital) go figure lol...

glad I could help.
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby hot_ed » November 12th, 2008, 11:23 pm

what about the climate control in an ef/el?? the screen on my dads car is really faint, not sure if its the globe or what cos u can JUST barely make out what it says so...

any help wood be appriciated!!
hot_ed
Idling

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » November 13th, 2008, 6:49 am

hot_ed wrote:what about the climate control in an ef/el?? the screen on my dads car is really faint, not sure if its the globe or what cos u can JUST barely make out what it says so...

any help wood be appriciated!!

I would love to help but this tutorial is specifically for EA-ED's, because the EF-EL dash assembly is a little bit different. All I know is from memory that climate uses T5 bulbs
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby MATTii » December 27th, 2008, 10:09 pm

wat about for analog speedo??? if i put red globes in will that also go red????
what exactly will go red???
wat sort of globes do i use???? parkers?????
MATTii
Banned

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » December 28th, 2008, 11:58 am

I dont know how red globes will go, but your car being a ghia i assume u have the digital readout, there the same globe.

But as for globe types, read the instructions carefully because the globe specs are there.
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby MATTii » December 30th, 2008, 1:53 am

:D i dont like reading.
MATTii
Banned

Postby MATTii » December 30th, 2008, 1:54 am

WTF ARE W5W WEDGE BUBLS?????!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10-x-Red-LED-Das ... 240%3A1318 ????????????????????
MATTii
Banned

Postby MATTii » December 30th, 2008, 5:34 pm

ok im in trouble.
ive done everything upto pulling the cluster out.
i cant get it out..... HEEEEEELP!!!!!! plz!!!!!! do i need to remove the steering wheel??? cos its too big or does it split in half? (cluster)
:?: im confused
Last edited by MATTii on January 1st, 2009, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MATTii
Banned

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » December 31st, 2008, 10:12 am

same deal again its in the instructions,

pull down the steering column and pull it towards you, then it should have plenty of slack to come out
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby 2E's » January 2nd, 2009, 4:37 pm

is this the same as EL/EF Kyle??????
2E's
Idling

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » January 2nd, 2009, 5:48 pm

2E's wrote:is this the same as EL/EF Kyle??????

EF/EL globes are T5 from memory, which are a much smaller wedge bulb, but not the same as EA-ED.

In a few months I might make a tutorial for EF/EL dash.
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby MATTii » January 4th, 2009, 5:22 pm

not quite finished, but this is it so far. just waiting on shipment of red globes.
FOXfm gotta love it
MATTii
Banned

Postby MATTii » January 4th, 2009, 5:26 pm

is it possible to change globes in the ghia climate control???
MATTii
Banned

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » January 4th, 2009, 5:34 pm

MATTii wrote:is it possible to change globes in the ghia climate control???

yup, the same type of globe again
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby MATTii » January 4th, 2009, 7:49 pm

ok thanks mate.
like my sexy cluster? lol
eventhough its not finished
MATTii
Banned

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » January 5th, 2009, 12:53 pm

MATTii wrote:ok thanks mate.
like my sexy cluster? lol
eventhough its not finished

not to bad mate, globes are a lil dark for my liking but nice effort ;)
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby MATTii » January 5th, 2009, 9:00 pm

yeah in other words, yours are better lol
MATTii
Banned

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » January 6th, 2009, 2:08 am

MATTii wrote:yeah in other words, yours are better lol

mine are standard :P, took the blue out AGES ago
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby lammy » June 4th, 2009, 1:02 am

any reason u took the blue out? i'm not sure on doing the job without getting the result i expect...
do u have any problems changing from the original amber colour to blue with the colours mixing and turning poo?
lammy
Cranking Over

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » June 4th, 2009, 11:02 am

I took out the blue because it felt a bit ricey for me in the end, this is what it looked like. u must get the globes from the link I have provided above if you want the strong blue illumination.

'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby Mr_White_Ea » July 25th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Those blue lights look sick im deffinently doing that now.

would go well with my neon under my head unit hehe :D.

Top thread mate very well presented.
MR_White_EA
Allways slippery when dry when your in a FORD.
E series Falcons Rock
Only one way to tag a road and thats with doubles :D
Mr_White_Ea
Idling

Postby Mr_White_Ea » August 2nd, 2009, 3:21 am

Ok i just f**k**d up i bought some leds and there a single led setup and its too dark so now i realise i need the 12 led setup.

Should have clicked on that link you gave. :)

I think i might go original aswell the blue just doesnt make the speedo and the tacho and other gauges light up enough not to hurt your eyes.
plus it really messes with ya eye sight at night on a dark road and it seems to give me a head ache and i have heard that its common to get headaches from blue lights thats why factory colours are usualy white/green/oragne/not bright red.
MR_White_EA
E series Falcons Rock
Mr_White_Ea
Idling

Postby XR_Lightning » August 2nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

Mr_White_Ea wrote:Ok i just f**k**d up i bought some leds and there a single led setup and its too dark so now i realise i need the 12 led setup.

Should have clicked on that link you gave. :)

I think i might go original aswell the blue just doesnt make the speedo and the tacho and other gauges light up enough not to hurt your eyes.
plus it really messes with ya eye sight at night on a dark road and it seems to give me a head ache and i have heard that its common to get headaches from blue lights thats why factory colours are usualy white/green/oragne/not bright red.

you can usually get the brighter led globes from autobarn, also seen them at cyber century in springvale and at speed parts in narre warren, if your in melbourne that is
ED XR6 - T5 - 1521a@112 - 3.9's - 170.2rwkw - POWERED BY METALLICA
XR_Lightning
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 1076 times
Been Liked: 487 times

1993 Ford ED Falcon XR6

Postby Mr_White_Ea » August 2nd, 2009, 9:30 pm

Nah decided just to go with brighter globes instead off the blue ones.
MR_White_EA
E series Falcons Rock
Mr_White_Ea
Idling

Postby weavahhh » August 25th, 2009, 8:31 pm

the cluster bulbs you used were the wedge ones a ?
Ford Falcon. Black, Rebuilt auto with stage 2 mechanical shift kit. rebuilt ef motor with log manifold. crow 2519 cam. extractors high flow cat into a two and a half inch exhaust. slammed on gloss black stockies with dress rings.
weavahhh
Cruising

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 1 time

1992 Ford Fairmont

Postby Kyle the ED4LTR » August 26th, 2009, 2:38 pm

weavahhh wrote:the cluster bulbs you used were the wedge ones a ?

yep
'95 DFII LTD - The Daily
---
'13 Chrysler 300 SRT8
Kyle the ED4LTR
Full Boost

1994 Ford Falcon

Postby regardedzero » April 19th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Hey guys, im pretty new to the forum anyway, i was doing this cause mine were really dull =\ i stuck new ones in then tried them..and it started smoking =\ now its not working at all..completely killed it, u guys know of anyway to fix it? (old globes dont work either, so its the actual dashboard =[)

car - 1988 ford fairmont ea.
regardedzero
Cranking Over

Postby Mr_EF_96 » April 20th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Replace the connectors that the bulbs sit in otherwise it could be a blown fuse or maybe the cluster itself.

I recently done this to my old ef and i noticed that the blue leds where flicking on and off and eventually died not sure if it was the leds or maybe a lack off power to them or too much power not sure.

We Ea-Ed they will not be bright at all and better off with white led bulbs or you have to scrape off the orange on the actual facia or some s**t like that.
MR_EF_96
Living life one day at a time
Mr_EF_96
Cruising

Next

Return to Tutorials