haha poor thing !!!
heebyJeebies
Idling

Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Re: Ev's AUII XR8 manual

Postby ClassicAU » March 5th, 2011, 8:29 pm

BLKPHN wrote:
ClassicAU wrote:On a note more like me, I had my first fail with this thing today. I bought a set of those metal brake dust covers from Ford to try and keep the wheels a bit cleaner. Anyway, my lock nut key is stripped, so had to destroy the lock nuts to get the wheels off. Then found that the stupid covers dont fit over the Tickford premium brakes!! The calipers are too big! :banghead: However I did discover I need new disks at the front, as they are lipped and rough as. It never bloody ends!

Oh Ev you make me laugh! life you you isn't easy. Are you sure you need new rotors? are they warped and shuddering? are they to thin under min thickness?
cause if they aren't why bother changing them? being lipped isn't such a huge problem it has just been pad slapped without machining the disc's no biggie.

Hahaha, I dunno man, I seem to come up with some good ones! :P Slight shudder, nothing big, but it doesn't seem to stop as good as it should for premo brakes. I think its cos they are plain old solid disks, not slotted like the rears are. Short jabs are strong, but hard braking through the corners seems to fade. I might sort them out when I do the suspension if I can fit it in.
3C Volkswagen Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model - Candy White, 17's, DSG, Bi-Xenon lights, Euro lux!

*laughs maniacally* “I can do burnouts every day for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it! They're always awesome!” - Mike Musto
ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 34 times
Been Liked: 109 times

Postby EBOOST » March 5th, 2011, 10:12 pm

yeah if u want i can get some discs at same time mate.
or measure them and just get them machined but slotted or the factory grooved ones will be better imo.
cheers josh.
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby BLKPHN » March 6th, 2011, 10:04 am

ClassicAU wrote:Hahaha, I dunno man, I seem to come up with some good ones! :P Slight shudder, nothing big, but it doesn't seem to stop as good as it should for premo brakes. I think its cos they are plain old solid disks, not slotted like the rears are. Short jabs are strong, but hard braking through the corners seems to fade. I might sort them out when I do the suspension if I can fit it in.

Well if you that concerned, get a set of slotted rotors and a new set of pad's, and put them on its an easy job like really easy.. but if you tight on funds check the pads have plenty or meat left on them and save up to get the slotted rotors hell i'll even put them on for you..

what are you doing to the suspension??
Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Postby ClassicAU » March 6th, 2011, 10:38 am

Haha, thanks Tristan, but Josh will sort me out. I think the pads are ok, but I do want to get some slotted disks. I'll try and fit them in when I do the suspension this month. I'm going a full Pedders sports setup, XR height only. Had that it my first AU and it was great, plus being IRS I am hoping this thing will turn out even better!
I have had an idea to combat my brake dust problem too.......
No idea if these would suit the AU, but I have always liked them since the QLD boys started using them. Plus I think black on red would look pretty good!
3C Volkswagen Passat 130TDi Highline Special Model - Candy White, 17's, DSG, Bi-Xenon lights, Euro lux!

*laughs maniacally* “I can do burnouts every day for the rest of my life and I'd never get sick of it! They're always awesome!” - Mike Musto
ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby nothin suss » March 6th, 2011, 11:17 am

BLKPHN wrote:
Well if you that concerned, get a set of slotted rotors and a new set of pad's, and put them on its an easy job like really easy.. but if you tight on funds check the pads have plenty or meat left on them and save up to get the slotted rotors hell i'll even put them on for you..?

Thats it Tristan. AU2 onward cars are ridiculously easy to work on. Especially brakes. Give it a go Ev!
BF2 DLPG Wagon - daily duties
BF Fairlong Ghia - ED Sprint
nothin suss
Full Boost

Has Liked: 223 times
Been Liked: 90 times

Postby ClassicAU » March 8th, 2011, 10:39 am

I don’t think so. If I can’t manage to fit brake dust caps properly, how am I going to go changing disks themselves!! I think I will leave it till someone who actually knows what they are doing!

Anyways, had a brain fade and did some impulse shopping yesterday. Picked up a 700wrms Jaycar mono amp for a pretty decent price. Of course needed something to run off it, so also went and got a new Alpine 12” Type R and box. I know, I could have gone and got a nice cats back system for that, but I do loves my bass! Trying to get it running off the stock system, unsuccessfully so far, but haven’t had a chance to have a good crack yet. There is a single RCA going into the stock amp for the stock sub, but I can’t seem to get a signal from it. I’ll have a proper go at it tonight.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby KR1STO » March 8th, 2011, 11:15 am

Get a line convertor box ev and run the speaker wires from the stock sub to it.. It will convert the signal into an rca output.. Then run rca's from the output to your amp and you're done.. I think you can still get line convertor boxes for about 15 bux. If ya can't find one, i think i've got one laying around.. I did it ages ago with the fairlane's premo sound.. Easy..!
Desire isn't driven by the heart, the mind or the wallet. Desire comes from another place. It's created by the smell of burnt fuel under full throttle and the look a car gives you when you're washing it alone at night...
KR1STO
Full Boost

Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 25 times

1999 Ford Fairlane

Postby Dezza » March 9th, 2011, 8:47 pm

If you think brake dust is a bitch, count yourself lucky you don't have the same rims as my AU! 18 spokes FTL.
Project: 1990 EAII Ford Fairmont Ghia - Platinum Silver
4.0i XR6 motor with BBM, T5 manual, Scorcher bar, sprint kit, XR front & rear lip, SVO rims, EL handles, mirrors & fuel flap, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, heaps more

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, Leather, 19" option rims, hardlid
Dezza
Breaking Traction

Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 5 times

1990 Ford Fairmont

Postby pHaT`eL » March 11th, 2011, 5:29 pm

You clean an AU? :P
[XGZ-566] 2009 BF3 XT EGAS WAGON
| 19x9 & 19X10 WORK EUROLINE'S | LOWERED |

[MR-PGR] 1980 XD FAIRMONT WAGON
| EFI WINDSOR | 14X8 & 14X10 12 SLOTTER'S | VENETIANS |

PREVIOUS RIDES: [WANTD-6] 2002 AU3 EGAS FORTE WAGON | [POPS4L] 1995 EF GLi WAGON | [EBW-302] 1991 EB GL WAGON V8 | [PHATEL] 1998 EL FAIRMONT TURBO

phat GUARD ROLLING | 0429 093 302 | facebook
pHaT`eL

Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 242 times

1991 Ford Falcon

Postby Dansedgli » March 12th, 2011, 11:55 am

Wierdos.
Dansedgli
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 75 times
Been Liked: 542 times

2001 Ford Falcon Ute

Postby ClassicAU » March 12th, 2011, 5:00 pm

lol, I don't actually, hence why I wouldn't mind black wheels!! :P Hide that brake dust!

Anyways, got the sub working finally! Thank's for the advice Kris, I tried the line level converter, but it didn't work either. I got cut and went to take the stuff back, but JB HiFi wouldn't refund me, so I just bought a new head unit instead! :huh: Turns out the signal to the mono block wasn't powerful enough, so I now have a nice Eclipse 5V head unit. Made the stock speakers sound much better too, and I have epic doof doof! :cool:
Next, suspension.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby KR1STO » March 12th, 2011, 5:06 pm

nooo.. you use the speaker wires which go to the sub not the signal line to the amp...
oh well.. It's sorted now anyway..!
Desire isn't driven by the heart, the mind or the wallet. Desire comes from another place. It's created by the smell of burnt fuel under full throttle and the look a car gives you when you're washing it alone at night...
KR1STO
Full Boost

Been Liked: 25 times

1999 Ford Fairlane

Postby ClassicAU » March 21st, 2011, 7:00 am

Yay for new suspension! :) Boo for no more money this month. :( Got a full Pedders setup through Josh, and got him to fit it for me too! Thanks heaps mate! Feels much better already, much more solid but still comfortable. I think it has dropped slightly, especially in the rear, but I wasn’t going for lower. Just wanted it to handle like it should, and I am almost there. Just need to do sway bars and then tyres, and I’ll be set. Then after that, exhaust.
I have pretty much decided that I am not going to bother trying to make it fast NA, waste of time and money. So after some service items, I will just save my coin for some form of supercharger! The difference this time is I will find someone to tune it who is actually interested in the job. This won’t happen till the end of the year though.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Re: Ev's AUII XR8 manual - error light

Postby ClassicAU » March 23rd, 2011, 8:10 am

Ok, so this thing has developed an issue with the red radiator warning light showing up on the dash over the last few weeks. I thought it was intermittent, but unfortunately not. It only happens when the car has been sitting over night though. Start the car, radiator light shows up for about 30 seconds to a minute, then disappears for the rest of the day. Thing is, radiator reservoir is on a good level with fluid, half way between full and max. Also, the temp never gets past the ‘O’ on the dial, even when I thrash it.
The car does sit on an incline in my front yard overnight, facing down at about 25-30 degrees. Not sure if that makes any difference?

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » March 23rd, 2011, 8:33 am

Have you looked in the book to see what the light represents?
Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » March 23rd, 2011, 9:05 am

Uh, I have now! :P ‘Low engine coolant level warning light (V8 only)’. So I guess it just needs more water then. :banghead: Stupid thing, better not mean I need a new radiator! Never ends! Thanks Tristan.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » March 23rd, 2011, 9:27 am

ClassicAU wrote:Uh, I have now! :P ‘Low engine coolant level warning light (V8 only)’. So I guess it just needs more water then. :banghead: Stupid thing, better not mean I need a new radiator! Never ends! Thanks Tristan.

hahah. It will also be cause due to the fact its parked on a hill, when you start it in the morning it think it has low coolant but its just due to the angle you parked on. But top it up to full anyways.. just water will do..

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » March 23rd, 2011, 10:59 am

Thought as much, thanks heaps Tristan! I’ll give it a top up when I get home tonight. On another note, did you have your T3 long enough to do a service on? If so, what oil did you use? I used Nulon on all my I6’s, but have never done a service on a V8 before.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » March 23rd, 2011, 11:05 am

ClassicAU wrote:Thought as much, thanks heaps Tristan! I’ll give it a top up when I get home tonight. On another note, did you have your T3 long enough to do a service on? If so, what oil did you use? I used Nulon on all my I6’s, but have never done a service on a V8 before.

I service any car i get as soon as i get it even if it has been said to be "JUST SERVICED". I used mobil 1 can't remember the rating though. Ive never liked nulon oil. Always stuck with Castrol or Mobil 1.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » March 23rd, 2011, 11:15 am

Probably a good idea too hey. The oil looked new on mine when I bought it though, so I just left it. Didn’t the T’s recommend Mobil anyway? I think they had a sticker somewhere under the bonnet with Mobil on it? I want to change the oil before the trip to Adelaide if I can fit it in

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » March 23rd, 2011, 11:23 am

ClassicAU wrote:Probably a good idea too hey. The oil looked new on mine when I bought it though, so I just left it. Didn’t the T’s recommend Mobil anyway? I think they had a sticker somewhere under the bonnet with Mobil on it? I want to change the oil before the trip to Adelaide if I can fit it in

Yep I'm pretty sure thats what it recommended. What rating oil does it require? oil and filter is easy job done in 30min no problems

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » March 23rd, 2011, 11:27 am

Cool as, thanks man. Yeah, I managed to get away with doing oil changes myself without any fail! :P Can’t remember, will have to check the book again, don’t think it says it on the oil cap like the I6’s do.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » March 23rd, 2011, 11:39 am

ClassicAU wrote:Cool as, thanks man. Yeah, I managed to get away with doing oil changes myself without any fail! :P Can’t remember, will have to check the book again, don’t think it says it on the oil cap like the I6’s do.

Well if you don't feel confident doing the oil i'm happy to help out

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » March 23rd, 2011, 1:35 pm

Thanks dude, I should be right though, appreciate the offer though! Still, I should swing past your place soon anyway, would love to go for the spin in the XY before you sell it! Plus, you can show me how to drive an XR8 properly too! :P

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » March 23rd, 2011, 1:51 pm

ClassicAU wrote:Thanks dude, I should be right though, appreciate the offer though! Still, I should swing past your place soon anyway, would love to go for the spin in the XY before you sell it! Plus, you can show me how to drive an XR8 properly too! :P

Haha anytime...

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » March 23rd, 2011, 6:36 pm

lol, might take you up on that when the weather gets a bit better hey! :P

Anyways, muchos happy with the new suspension! The axle tramp has reduced, which is awesome! Plus, it looks like the stance has dropped a bit too! The old measurements from bottom of the rim to the guard were 595mm front and 615mm rear. New measurements are 580mm front and 590mm rear. Still seems to handle fine though, so bonus!

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby EBOOST » March 23rd, 2011, 8:11 pm

thats good news ev.
get some castrol edge, mainlube told my brother it is better than royal purple so must be decent.
cheers josh.
Get Stroked!!
AU Stroked 5.6L Ghia.
EBOOST
Hitting N2O

Has Liked: 437 times
Been Liked: 93 times

Postby ClassicAU » April 20th, 2011, 9:50 am

Ok, so I am starting to get over this bloody thing already. Petrol prices are starting to hurt, and the shitty fuel economy is not helping at all. That, and its not fast enough! Don’t get me wrong, everything else about it is great. The suspension turned out sweet, the diff is all but unnoticeable now, and it has a decent exhaust note. Does sick doughies too! With 5 people in the car, which surprised me! :cool:
Maybe I have ruined this one already too. I haven’t touched the engine at all since I bought it though. Anyone have any ideas on how I can improve the economy at least a little? So far I am getting a best of 400kms to a tank of premo combined, mostly back roads to work. That, and its always had this kind of ticking/rattling noise from the drivers side back of the motor. Hasn’t gotten any worse, but hasn’t gotten any better either.
Anyway, someone stop me from chopping it in for an XR6T! :banghead:

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby Dansedgli » April 20th, 2011, 9:53 am

Trade it in and the car we recommended 6 months ago.
Dansedgli
Melting Pistons

Has Liked: 75 times
Been Liked: 542 times

2001 Ford Falcon Ute

Postby ClassicAU » April 20th, 2011, 10:00 am

Refresh my memory man, what was that again? I know I am having a cry as usual, but I was kinda hoping to stick with this thing. I just wish I knew more about V8’s. Should I be getting better economy, or is this the price I pay for owning two extra cylinders?

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » April 20th, 2011, 10:11 am

I'm pretty sure the ticking noise is for the emmsions i remember disconnecting the one in my TE, cause it sounded shit as!

400km is good out of a tank! hahah my BA got 300km... but then the F6 got 500+km out of a tank.

i think you should just swap me with my wagon!

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » April 20th, 2011, 10:46 am

I though it was too Tristan, but isn’t that down towards the front behind the guard? This noise sounds like its coming from just in front of me at the top of the motor, and it gets quicker with engine revs.
Serious, only 300? That’s pretty poor man! I guess I just need to suck it up then, and deal with it. My plan is to save up for another Raptor blower kit, but I am also thinking by the time I spend that money on it, I could just get a XR6T instead! I test drove a 2009 FG F6 310 6 speed auto the other week, and almost messed up my pants! That convinced me that if I ever did get a turbo, it would be a ZF all the way.

Haha, maybe hey! Wait, which wagon are we talking about?

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby private9 » April 20th, 2011, 11:02 am

ClassicAU wrote:Refresh my memory man, what was that again? I know I am having a cry as usual, but I was kinda hoping to stick with this thing. I just wish I knew more about V8’s. Should I be getting better economy, or is this the price I pay for owning two extra cylinders?

You need to get a Camry Ev, as we've all suggested previously - and NEVER mod a car again.

Economy you describe is very good for a 5-point-slow, certainly nothing to complain about.
private9
Hitting N2O

Been Liked: 185 times

Postby ClassicAU » April 20th, 2011, 11:06 am

Hahaha, well fair enough then. If thats the case with the economy, then I will shut my mouth and keep on with it. Thanks guys. :)

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby BLKPHN » April 20th, 2011, 11:10 am

ClassicAU wrote:I though it was too Tristan, but isn’t that down towards the front behind the guard? This noise sounds like its coming from just in front of me at the top of the motor, and it gets quicker with engine revs.
Serious, only 300? That’s pretty poor man! I guess I just need to suck it up then, and deal with it. My plan is to save up for another Raptor blower kit, but I am also thinking by the time I spend that money on it, I could just get a XR6T instead! I test drove a 2009 FG F6 310 6 speed auto the other week, and almost messed up my pants! That convinced me that if I ever did get a turbo, it would be a ZF all the way.

Haha, maybe hey! Wait, which wagon are we talking about?

My EA wagon! Its super imaculate.

XR6T or F6 fuel economy is better and damn cheap to modd.

I wouldn't bother with a blower kit.. just do a nice intake and nice exhaust.

BLKPHN
Breaking Traction

Postby ClassicAU » April 20th, 2011, 11:41 am

Haha, oh yeah, that’s right! I’m sure it would be Tristan, I expect nothing less from you! Would make an awesome daily.
Yeah, I know hey, kinda kicking myself I didn’t get one instead of this. I’ll just keep chipping away at this thing and see how I go. I might give the motor a birthday soon in the form of a full service. Fresh oil, filters, plugs leads and coils. Then maybe get a tune happening, which should hopefully help with the economy.

Anyway, on a brighter note, my new brakes arrived to work today! Picked up a full set of 4 brand new OEM Tickford disks from a dude on AFF who works for DBA. Gave em to me for $460 delivered, which I thought was a decent deal. They are bloody massive though, much bigger than I pictured! I am actually worried they will fit behind my 17’s. Fricken solid as too, should help the thing pull up a bit better hopefully.

ClassicAU
Hitting N2O

Postby 67rce » April 20th, 2011, 12:37 pm

ClassicAU wrote:Ok, so I am starting to get over this bloody thing already. Petrol prices are starting to hurt, and the shitty fuel economy is not helping at all. That, and its not fast enough! Don’t get me wrong, everything else about it is great. The suspension turned out sweet, the diff is all but unnoticeable now, and it has a decent exhaust note. Does sick doughies too! With 5 people in the car, which surprised me! :cool:
Maybe I have ruined this one already too. I haven’t touched the engine at all since I bought it though. Anyone have any ideas on how I can improve the economy at least a little? So far I am getting a best of 400kms to a tank of premo combined, mostly back roads to work. That, and its always had this kind of ticking/rattling noise from the drivers side back of the motor. Hasn’t gotten any worse, but hasn’t gotten any better either.
Anyway, someone stop me from chopping it in for an XR6T! :banghead:

Swaps? I get 440 to a tank with 80% highway!
Cammed Suzuki Baleno, Haltech PS1000, E85
67rce
Breaking Intake Welds

Has Liked: 170 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Postby needfordspeed » April 20th, 2011, 2:52 pm

^^ Haha that's shit, I got 500 KM to my last tank, and only went on the freeway for around 60km of that, rest was around town, my tank is 7L bigger though, but I got a tune now and it's just hit halfway on the fuel gauge and i've done just over 300kms....

You silly V8 AU owners, should have got a LS1 :epicfight: :D
1988 EA S-Pack - 10.6@125MPH New build underway
needfordspeed

Has Liked: 110 times
Been Liked: 417 times

1988 Ford S Pack

Postby private9 » April 20th, 2011, 3:01 pm

needfordspeed wrote:^^ Haha that's shit, I got 500 KM to my last tank, and only went on the freeway for around 60km of that, rest was around town, my tank is 7L bigger though, but I got a tune now and it's just hit halfway on the fuel gauge and i've done just over 300kms....

You silly V8 AU owners, should have got a LS1 :epicfight: :D

lol, mine averages 26-27l/100km and it's not even fast :cry: That's driving normally, but only short trip stuff - so it's to be expected.
private9
Hitting N2O

Been Liked: 185 times

PreviousNext

Return to The Showroom